• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Academic Standards?

Who was the semi-recent Wake FB player who graduated early pre-med and went to Wake Med on full scholarship? I think he was a Fresh Deac

Louis Frazier. Currently on rotation at Vanderbilt (IIRC). Helluva guy and one of the smartest people I've ever met. Used football to get out of some bad situations back home. He's a great example of athletics giving someone a shot at a great success story off the field.

University of Richmond. I forget the exact circumstances but he took a plea so he may not have been convicted of rape, but he is a registered sex offender.

I think it involved his time at UVA and a girl that was too drunk to consent. Word got out and it made the paper in Richmond and Charlottesville.

http://thecollegianur.com/2013/11/07/richmond-law-school-set-graduate-registered-sex-offender/39265/

Found the link. I guess he received a scholarship.

Dude serves on the Honor Council. Wow.

Louis Frazier. Currently on rotation at Vanderbilt (IIRC). Helluva guy and one of the smartest people I've ever met. Used football to get out of some bad situations back home. He's a great example of athletics giving someone a shot at a great success story off the field.

he was a great dude.

I seriously don't understand why anybody here gives a fuck about a kid's academic background. I don't care if a kid can even read if he can play. If s/he uses her/his time at school to pursue something academic, then great for them. But NCAA basketball is nothing but minor league sports under the guise of a nonprofit entity that is consumed by fans. Don't get too noble about this shit.

I seriously don't understand why anybody here gives a fuck about a kid's academic background. I don't care if a kid can even read if he can play. If s/he uses her/his time at school to pursue something academic, then great for them. But NCAA basketball is nothing but minor league sports under the guise of a nonprofit entity that is consumed by fans. Don't get too noble about this shit.

Can anyone near Randleman confirm that BKF's head just exploded?

part of a liber arts education is gaining insight from all walks of life. you don't need to be a noble chemist to offer a different insight in to a sociological, philosophical, etc. discussion. to suggest that only the "best and brightest" (aka rich kids with sat tutors and private educations) have something to offer in a liberal arts curriculum leads to a very vapid education.

So kids who barely qualified come to Wake and all of a sudden want to be part of academically rigorous debates on sociology, philosophy, etc? Right. You know as well as I do that athletes who eked into Wake add little to nothing to the academic landscape. I love the rich shaming too. Rich kids are successful because their families emphasis education and make sacrifices to give their kids the best shot in life. Most wealthy people in this country are self-made and worked their asses off to get there, ripping them for working 100 hour weeks and taking risks to prop up some ridiculous argument that there's only nobility in poverty is wrong.

"Most wealthy people in this country are self-made"

I would want to see some stats about this.

So kids who barely qualified come to Wake and all of a sudden want to be part of academically rigorous debates on sociology, philosophy, etc? Right. You know as well as I do that athletes who eked into Wake add little to nothing to the academic landscape. I love the rich shaming too. Rich kids are successful because their families emphasis education and make sacrifices to give their kids the best shot in life. Most wealthy people in this country are self-made and worked their asses off to get there, ripping them for working 100 hour weeks and taking risks to prop up some ridiculous argument that there's only nobility in poverty is wrong.

WHOOSH

Jesus, dude. You're posting articles about millionaires and billionaires - the richest of the rich - by institutions with lots at stake in the self-made-man narrative. Sure, billionaires weren't born billionaires (though apparently 1/3 of them were), but they weren't born having to make their own bootstraps to pull themselves up with either.

Joke's on me for playing along with your little pro-crony capitalism schtick, so shame on me.

Back