• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: NFL Draft - Rams pick Goff #1

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-warns-state-of-georgia-over-religious-freedom-bill/?linkId=22482990

NFL warns state of Georgia over "religious freedom" bill

The NFL acknowledged that the religious exemptions bill, passed by both houses of the Legislature but still needing the signature of Gov. Nathan Deal, could have an impact on the selection process for the championship game in 2019 and 2020.

Atlanta is one of the finalists for the next two Super Bowls to be awarded, along with New Orleans, Miami and Tampa. The city has been considered a clear favorite because of its new retractable-roof stadium, set to open next year.

The religious exemptions bill could change that.

"NFL policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness, and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said. "Whether the laws and regulations of a state and local community are consistent with these policies would be one of many factors NFL owners may use to evaluate potential Super Bowl host sites."

Makes sense from a team that's all about #metrics. His passing stats have never been horrible. But yeah, good luck Cleveland

Interesting choice. Probably his best opportunity to be week 1 starter, but not exactly a place where QBs flourish

Interesting choice. Probably his best opportunity to be week 1 starter, but not exactly a place where QBs flourish

Perhaps he wanted to stick with something familiar.

I don't think RG3 had any other options. Denver had zero interest. But I don't get the interest on Cleveland's end, other than it's Cleveland being Cleveland. Have they seen his tape from the last 3 years or spoken to any of his coaches? McCown is better and cheaper and now will be headed elsewhere. And McCown's probable availability may hurt Fitzpatrick's hopes of big $$.

Story from DC is that Cleveland staff didn't really make RGIII run. Just throw and make a few drop back/rollout cuts. Strange that they didn't want to see him run, because that was a big part of his game, and what was most affected by his knee surgery.

Not as awful as RG3. And would be a much better mentor to a rookie 1st or 2nd rounder than RG3 will be.
I don't know that that's true. McCown is awful and old, at least there's a chance (no matter how remote) that RG3 could be at least average.

I don't know that that's true. McCown is awful and old, at least there's a chance (no matter how remote) that RG3 could be at least average.

Can either one of those guys do a decent job reading NFL defenses? That was part of RGIII's problem. He couldn't tell if a receiver was open or going to be open, so he held the ball in his last playing season. In his rookie year, if he couldn't figure it out, he ran, and could out run most defenders. But he eventually paid the price for running, with the knee injury. Now that he can't outrun people, if he can't learn to read coverages, he will be below average in Cleveland, like he was in Washington. Maybe the year sitting convinced him of the need to learn to read coverages, now that he can't just run away from people.

RG3 also benefited from the run-option novelty when DB's were caught looking in the backfield, so the WR's were wide open. When defenses adjusted, the run-option QB's who couldn't make traditional reads were exposed.

RG3 also benefited from the run-option novelty when DB's were caught looking in the backfield, so the WR's were wide open. When defenses adjusted, the run-option QB's who couldn't make traditional reads were exposed.
And Cam only got better

I remember living in DC during RG III"s rookie year and toasting my Redskins buddies, welcoming them to the franchise QB club. Little did I know that the franchise QB they had wasn't RG III. At the time, the Panthers had recently gotten Cam after years of guys like Chris Weinke, David Carr, and Jimmy Clausen. We talked about how infuriatingly hopeless it is to root for an NFL team that doesn't have a franchise QB. So many other things have to go right to counter having even an average QB.

Last edited:
And Cam only got better

Exactly. Cam got a playbook the one day between the draft and the lock-out, went to a camp in Florida, and was trained by ex-Panther QB Chris Weinke. Cam put in the work to ascend from novelty to star. And he continues to work. So yeah, I'm a fan.

Exactly. Cam got a playbook the one day between the draft and the lock-out, went to a camp in Florida, and was trained by ex-Panther QB Chris Weinke. Cam put in the work to ascend from novelty to star. And he continues to work. So yeah, I'm a fan.

And he got schooled by The Sheriff then pouted about it. The Sheriff needs to give Cam some work on the PR aspect of being a pro football star QB & MVP.

Back