• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2023. Kansas City Chiefs Win Super Bowl LVIII. Defeat 49ers in Overtime. 25-22.

Purdy is still a work in progress. Last night was his first complete playoff game. He has made amazing progress from "me. Irrelevant" to elite QB.

Did NFL talent evaluators miss? Is Shanahan a great QB whisperer? Did Brock Purdy develop more slowly and later than others?

It's a combination of all three.

At this time of the season, it is all about somehow scoring at least one more point than the opponent and advancing.

Purdy is still a work in progress. Last night was his first complete playoff game. He has made amazing progress from "me. Irrelevant" to elite QB.

Did NFL talent evaluators miss? Is Shanahan a great QB whisperer? Did Brock Purdy develop more slowly and later than others?

It's a combination of all three.

At this time of the season, it is all about somehow scoring at least one more point than the opponent and advancing.
I saw 2-3 games of his at ISU and wasn't overly impressed, so I was clearly wrong. And the 1 thing that draftniks don't get a chance to do for the most part is spend time with these kids to get to know them and get them on a white board. Whereas NFL GMs, scouts and coaches do. So they are able to assess how bright a prospect is, how good a work ethic he has and how well he processes information better than us lay folk and draftnik talking heads. And I'm willing to bet that Purdy, a guy with no special physical traits is likely off the charts in terms of maturity, work ethic and processing information. That and Kyle Shanahan is the best QB coach in the league.

I'm not a Purdy lover or hater. He has played great in all but 5 games this year - the 3 games w/o Williams and Deebo, the Ravens game and last night. He threw the ball inaccurately last night and could have been picked 2-3 times. And he was out-dueled by Love most of the night with Love playing on the weaker team. But then Love wasn't up for the moment on the last drive - dude, it's 1st down, not 4th, throw it away and live to fight another down. Not sure whether it was the pouring rain or last night essentially being Purdy's 1st playoff game, and he had the jitters. But if he plays like that again against the Lions, Detroit should get to its 1st SB. I think 1 of the reasons why Purdy is so good is he plays behind a great OL with maybe the best RB, 2 WR and TE combo in the game, and he's coached by Shanahan. Then again, Lance couldn't thrive when he had multiple chances to win that job, so I give Purdy a good deal of credit for playing as well as he has. But last night was a chink in the armor.

A comeback win against a hot Packers team?

I saw 2-3 games of his at ISU and wasn't overly impressed, so I was clearly wrong. And the 1 thing that draftniks don't get a chance to do for the most part is spend time with these kids to get to know them and get them on a white board. Whereas NFL GMs, scouts and coaches do. So they are able to assess how bright a prospect is, how good a work ethic he has and how well he processes information better than us lay folk and draftnik talking heads. And I'm willing to bet that Purdy, a guy with no special physical traits is likely off the charts in terms of maturity, work ethic and processing information. That and Kyle Shanahan is the best QB coach in the league.
That's not a great explanation for why Purdy was the last pick in the draft. Purdy was at the combine. NFL GMs, scouts, and coaches spent time with him. They still picked him last.

I don’t understand the Brock haters at all. Seems like every bad throw is amplified/magnified. I mean I get it that experts hate they missed so bad on him but still. For a rookie(basically) qb making league minimum, he seems to get treatment that the elite veterans get. He takes it well though.
I think it's that it is hard to see what Brock is exceptional at. He doesn't have exceptional arm strength like Mahomes and Allen. He isn't a great athlete like Lamar. His strength is getting the ball out on time to the right guys. That is hard to see/understand, and also leads him to relying on his playmakers. Also hard to say how much credit should go to Shanahan for getting guys wide open, and how much credit Brock should get for executing the offense.

But that's what Lance couldn't do and Jimmy G. couldn't do well enough. Give Purdy credit.

Everyone mentions all the weapons he has. Weird how they are all having their best individual seasons with Brock as their qb. To those who say he got lucky because of missed FGs and dropped interceptions, go back and watch the 2001 Divisional Playoffs between the Patriots and Raiders.

Not sure whether it was the pouring rain or last night essentially being Purdy's 1st playoff game, and he had the jitters.
Ive seen last night referenced as Purdy's first playoff game a few times in this thread.. that is incorrect. Purdy was 2-1 in the playoffs last year with a rather impressive playoff debut vs the Seahawks and a less impressive showing, albeit a win, against the Cowboys.

Back