• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

I see someone else doesn't trust basic statistics around here

What's Melo ever done in the post season? He's a black hole on offense and mopes if he doesn't get the ball every time and plays D only occasionally.

RJ, you can't pull out 5-year old posts and reposts them as current fact. This reminds me of bobknightfan's post - and also the criticism Dominique Wilkins got in the meat of his career from critics still focused on the the Nique of Year 1-4 or 5 of his career.

For anyone who has watched Melo play the last two or three years, he moves the ball better, plays better defense, doesn't mope. He's a nice player who has improved his all around game. Is he a top 25 player? Not in my book, but he is not the "black hole" of circa 2010. If you think Kevin Love is on the cusp of an injury riddled decline, it's a potential nice trade for Cleveland, especially if you can squeeze a pick out of New York.

The difference is Love has accepted a role of being third fiddle. There's nothing in Melo's past or present that shows he'd do the same.

As to "playing better D", if he puts his hands up once and slides once, that would be more than he used to do.

i feel like lala is a bigger trade impediment than any part of melo's game

The difference is Love has accepted a role of being third fiddle. There's nothing in Melo's past or present that shows he'd do the same.

As to "playing better D", if he puts his hands up once and slides once, that would be more than he used to do.
Except for the Olympics?

RJ, you can't pull out 5-year old posts and reposts them as current fact. This reminds me of bobknightfan's post - and also the criticism Dominique Wilkins got in the meat of his career from critics still focused on the the Nique of Year 1-4 or 5 of his career.

For anyone who has watched Melo play the last two or three years, he moves the ball better, plays better defense, doesn't mope. He's a nice player who has improved his all around game. Is he a top 25 player? Not in my book, but he is not the "black hole" of circa 2010. If you think Kevin Love is on the cusp of an injury riddled decline, it's a potential nice trade for Cleveland, especially if you can squeeze a pick out of New York.
Agree with jaybone on this

the biggest problem with melo to me is that he's signed through 2018-19 at a max deal. I don't really want melo two seasons from now

Except for the Olympics?

That's ten blowout games. It's not a season and post season. It's one thing if you go in knowing no one is going to be dominant and accepting a role and knowing it's the best it will be for multiple years/

Just not true. Watching some Knicks games this year, he defers to the Unicorn often, to DRose when he's on and healthy. Hell, he's kicked the ball out to Courtney Lee, not once, but twice for last second 3s (I think Lee is 1-2 on those).

I think Anthony would likely defer like hell to Lebron and even Kyrie. Everyone wants to win games. I don't think it is a great trade for Cleveland personally - not unless Love really is on the decline. Love looks rickety to me when he moves, so that may be the case. Anthony barely misses games, but he is not the spot up 3 point shooter that Love is. Melo's best game is jumpers off the dribble. Love is also a much better rebounder, obviously, and is the best outlet passer in the game.

Again, he ain't a top 25 player in my book, and he is owed way too much money, but it is difficult to criticize his floor game like it is 2010. He averaged 4 assists per game last year when they had no PG and 3 assists this year with two PGs. That is a pretty good assist number from the 3 spot. Kawhi is averaging 3 assists per game as well.

Look, from my seat at the window, Jackson has a relatively long history of throwing players under the bus by saying shit to the press he shouldn't, even before his book. He's a dick. He's been a dick for a long time. He lost championships by letting Kobe be Kobe and running Shaq out of town. He was also a great coach. His criticism of Melo has been more about off court stuff oddly. Weird references to a drug adled D League player from 30 years ago. He doesn't like Melo. Melo is probably not the locker room presence most franchises would want out of their marquee player and highest paid player. That isn't new. He Spreweled Bzd early his career, but Jackson is a big dummy. You get less value from Melo now that the whole world knows he loathes him.

Last edited:
i think melo's best game is bully ball getting to the rim but his midrange is nice too

I wanna see Melo to the Celts so I can watch them both fail

There is one HUUUUUUUGE downside to this wonderful idea. If Melo comes in and does his prima donna act, Stevens could get frustrated and go to Duke.

There is one HUUUUUUUGE downside to this wonderful idea. If Melo comes in and does his prima donna act, Stevens could get frustrated and go to Duke.

Stephens would probably get someone to throw $12-15 mil a year to him nowadays in the NBA. Don't think going back to college is in the cards.

Don't see how Melo is going to help Lebron against the Pelicans in the finals. Would not trade.

Stephens would probably get someone to throw $12-15 mil a year to him nowadays in the NBA. Don't think going back to college is in the cards.

Stevens could get $8-10M from Duke and not have the headaches of the NBA and a job for life. Duke doesn't have to really recruit much.

worse job + pay cut + same job security

what's not to love

Back