• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

Too bad they have a Bismack Biyombo is the only stat that matters for anything*: wins!

*other than RBIs and saves

Finally get to watch the Bulls tonight, first time this season. Having a hard time understanding their early success given their roster makeup. Hopefully it's not fool's gold.

Finally get to watch the Bulls tonight, first time this season. Having a hard time understanding their early success given their roster makeup. Hopefully it's not fool's gold.

They've hit a fuckton of 3s, which I don't think is really sustainable, but we'll see

41ad8dea1cade6f2ed59bcab44aafad4

Classic Meta World Peace right there

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

not only 1st in 3pt percentage (.425), their opponents have the 5th worst 3pt percentage this year (.278), which isn't something that is product of defense

Not at all? Or not given the n?

Looking at last year's defensive 3p% and defensive ratings there seems to be a weak correlation between the two, but a correlation nonetheless.

Not at all? Or not given the n?

Looking at last year's defensive 3p% and defensive ratings there seems to be a weak correlation between the two, but a correlation nonetheless.

i think that the vast majority of effective 3pt defense is preventing the attempt entirely, the actual defense/contest on the shot has limited impact on percentages. year to year the league leaders in 3 pt percentage defense is basically completely random. now your defense could force an end of shot clock ugly three, and that is certainly going to impact percentages but those situations are minimal when talking about >20 3PAs a game.

I figure that better defensive teams will also prevent fewer choice looks.

I figure that better defensive teams will also prevent fewer choice looks.

a while back kenpom wrote an article comparing the correlation between 3 pt% defense and FT% defense and found them similar... and there is no FT defense. for nba players if you're letting a 3 fly, absent players with terrible shot slection in general, without the shot clock on your back it's basically a choice look.

now some awful teams give up a bunch of open 3s, and the key part is a bunch of threes. if you're close enough to stop the attempt you've done your job.

JR Smith shirtless in a box suite at the baseball game tonight. Time is a flat circle.

stayed up to watch that baseball game and flip to espn and thunder finishing off the clippers in la. ph was right.

MY 'DER chillin at 4-0.

Back