• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arizona has a pretty good defense. If you leave 10 points sitting on the board against a decent NFL team on the road, it will probably come back to haunt you.
They're ok, they aren't great by any stretch: they gave up 27 points to the Rams, 21 to Detroit, 31 to the Saints, 32 to the niners.
Point is that our offense didn't do shit in that game after the first two drives, and it's been pretty inconsistent and unreliable all season. Smith's drop was a fluke, but we still lost the rest of that game.

Our offense was decent for the entire 1st half against Arizona. Consistently were putting up yards, though the wheels did start to come off with that first pick when we were driving once again into Arizona territory. Then they kept throwing that delayed blitz at us and Ron and didn't do shit about it and we were awful the 2nd half.

2yxk8kh.jpg

Random stat... Panthers have the least 3 and out drives in the NFL with only 7 out of 63 drives.

Random stat... Panthers have the least 3 and out drives in the NFL with only 7 out of 63 drives.

Not that you're using that point to support our offensive, but I figured that someone would bring up that stat. From what i've seen, our success sustaining drives this year is due to a conservative change in play calling philosophy. The flipside of that coin is that we now have the least plays over 20 yards in the entire league, where we led the league(or close to it) in the previous two seasons. Currently we are 27th in total yards, and 31st in passing yards; That's just bad, there's no way to argue otherwise. Even without the bye week we would still be in the bottom 10 in total yards. Even our hyped up running game is only 13th in the NFL.

Don't get me twisted as a Mike Shula fan at all... the lack of big plays and/or Cam runs is still mind boggling.

Our offense was decent for the entire 1st half against Arizona. Consistently were putting up yards, though the wheels did start to come off with that first pick when we were driving once again into Arizona territory. Then they kept throwing that delayed blitz at us and Ron and didn't do shit about it and we were awful the 2nd half.

2yxk8kh.jpg

Yep, we should have been up 2 TDs at halftime.

It's crazy that our offense and defense have flipped this year, but the numbers support it. As of this moment we have a great defense and bad, conservative offense.
We allow less yards per game than Kansas City and we've still got a losing record.

I said earlier that our point differential would be indicative of a 4-1 team and that actually makes sense. We are basically two plays away from 4-1. Deangelo fumble and Manuel TD.

I said earlier that our point differential would be indicative of a 4-1 team and that actually makes sense. We are basically two plays away from 4-1. Deangelo fumble and Manuel TD.

Our point differential isn't correctly indicative of our offensive inadequacy. We scored 38 on a Giants defense that 3 other teams have also scored 35+ on. Put an average NFL defense in that spot and the point differential for the season probably shrinks 30 points. We've been held to 7 points or less in 3 out of 5 games, and the other two games were vs. the 23rd and 32nd rated defenses. Had those two possessions you noted gone differently we would still have a terrible offense.

Last edited:
1) I wasn't making a comment about our offense.
2) You can pick and choose from everyone's schedule and find some awful defenses.

Being able to blow out bad teams and not being blown out yourself is more predictive than record alone. I'm confident the main thing holding this team back, and has been holding this team back, is coaching... especially in close games.

Also, our "terrible offense" is the way it is by design. We obviously have problems on the o-line and wr depth but we are accomplishing what the coaches want to accomplish in general. We are 2nd in the NFL in time of possession and 8th in the NFL in rushing yards per game. Being able to do those two things alone would at least lift the offense from terrible to mediocre.

My main point the entire time being that main flaw of the Panthers are the coaches.

Our point differential isn't correctly indicative of our offensive inadequacy. We scored 38 on a Giants defense that 3 other teams have also scored 35+ on. Put an average NFL defense in that spot and the point differential for the season probably shrinks 30 points. We've been held to 7 points or less in 3 out of 5 games, and the other two games were vs. the 23rd and 32nd rated defenses. Had those two possessions you noted gone differently we would still have a terrible offense.

I don't remember the exact number, but we were in the 20s against Buffalo.

1) I wasn't making a comment about our offense.
2) You can pick and choose from everyone's schedule and find some awful defenses.

Being able to blow out bad teams and not being blown out yourself is more predictive than record alone. I'm confident the main thing holding this team back, and has been holding this team back, is coaching... especially in close games.

The cause of the bad offense is certainly due in large part to Shula, but Shula's not leaving in the middle of the season. We aren't going to make the playoffs scoring 7 points a game vs the good teams on our schedule, so saying that we should be 4-1 right now is misleading; We aren't 4-1, and we aren't the only team in the league who has left points on the board with blown plays or dropped passes.

We do lead the league in negative pythagorean expectation... we had a negative pythagorean expectation Ron Rivera's first two years too. Our close game record with Rivera is historically bad when statistically a team's record should be close to 50% in those. I'm not suggesting it gets better this season, I am suggesting the Panthers are a good team that is being tragically misused... although Rivera going for it on 4th and shorts is a start.

If the early catches were made against Arizona the team gets a swagger. The drops cause them to get tentative on all counts. Defense doesn't play as aggressively, offense starts pressing, cam gets frustrated and makes dumb throws.

If the early catches were made against Arizona the team gets a swagger. The drops cause them to get tentative on all counts. Defense doesn't play as aggressively, offense starts pressing, cam gets frustrated and makes dumb throws.

Right, we dominated the first half against the Cards in every category except the score... which i'm sure some wise ass will point out is the only category that matters.

If you want to see the difference that a quarterback can have on a wide receivers career, check out the differential between Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith's career reception totals. Both drafted in 2001, both started nearly the same amount of games, both started their careers behind a clear #1 receiver. Wayne's got 200 more receptions than Steve Smith. I never would have guessed that Wayne had been that much more prolific than Smitty.

If you want to see the difference that a quarterback can have on a wide receivers career, check out the differential between Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith's career reception totals. Both drafted in 2001, both started nearly the same amount of games, both started their careers behind a clear #1 receiver. Wayne's got 200 more receptions than Steve Smith. I never would have guessed that Wayne had been that much more prolific than Smitty.

Funny--I was watching MNF last night thinking the same thing. Wayne has a decent chance of going to the Hall of Fame. He's no better than Smitty; he just had the great fortune to play most of his career with Peyton Manning.

Steve Smith was a third round draft pick who learned to play receiver at a high level after a somewhat rocky college career.

Reggie Wayne was a first round draft pick out of Miami.

They were not starting on a level playing field. Peyton Manning definitely made things easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back