• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2015-2016 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Batum & Marv back, Lin, Al & Lee gone

I really hate that Cho and MJ have made it virtually impossible for me to root for the Hornets. There has been a void in my fanhood for so long.

I just like Biz and think Frank is a waste so I'm probably overly salty

Nah, you're right on both accounts. Not paying Biz, drafting Frank, selling the #22 pick and letting Lin/AlJeff walk without a backup plan just proves that Cho is an uber-donk. Just watch him overpay the living shit out of Marvin Williams now.

Myles Turner or Devin Booker would have been way better draft picks than Frank as well

The whole Biz/Frank thing is dumb in combination with each other and also as independent decisions

They were never going to be able to bring back Lin and Jefferson for $22mm against the cap. They have $17mm left after re-signing Batum.

Nah, you're right on both accounts. Not paying Biz, drafting Frank, selling the #22 pick and letting Lin/AlJeff walk without a backup plan just proves that Cho is an uber-donk. Just watch him overpay the living shit out of Marvin Williams now.

what do you think an overpay for Marvin is?

Myles Turner or Devin Booker would have been way better draft picks than Frank as well

The whole Biz/Frank thing is dumb in combination with each other and also as independent decisions

This. This. This.
The worst thing about Charlotte's 2015 draft was that they worked Turner and Booker out and still went with Frank.

They were never going to be able to bring back Lin and Jefferson for $22mm against the cap. They have $17mm left after re-signing Batum.

I'm just saying - Cho knew that he wasn't going to be in the position to re-sign those guys (and the internet knew that he wasn't going to re-sign those guys) and, instead of drafting a point guard (e.g., Ulis, Jackson, Payton, etc.) or big man (e.g., Zubac, Zizic, etc.) who could've stepped into a temporary backup role at bargain basement prices, they sold the pick for Marco fucking Belinelli.

C'mon, Cho.

Marco Belinelli for 6mm a year as a back-up SG is great value with the way dudes are getting paid right now. Courtney Lee is going to get like $15mm a year in this market, so that's why they made the trade.

This FA has played out exactly as expected so far.

what do you think an overpay for Marvin is?

I was a Big Al fan, so if he gets more than $10 mil/year, I'm going to be pissed. At least there's a case for re-signing Marvin, though, unlike letting Biz walk and drafting Frank.

Also, we really upset about not paying Big Al at 31 3 years/$30mm? I love the dude but he's played fewer and fewer games every season since 2013 and it's getting harder for him to keep off the weight. More of a luxury than a necessity.

I was a Big Al fan, so if he gets more than $10 mil/year, I'm going to be pissed. At least there's a case for re-signing Marvin, though, unlike letting Biz walk and drafting Frank.

lmao, he's going to get more than $10mm a year.

Also, we really upset about not paying Big Al at 31 3 years/$30mm? I love the dude but he's played fewer and fewer games every season since 2013 and it's getting harder for him to keep off the weight. More of a luxury than a necessity.

Just thinking about having to watch Tank play makes me wish we overpaid Big Al

Big Al missed half the season last year and didn't start when he came back. Marvin is younger, had a career year, was healthy and started, played great defense and was a perfect fit for the offense. He is way more important than Al.

lmao, he's going to get more than $10mm a year.

You asked what overpaying Marvin Williams looks like to me and I told you.

I agree with you, though. The prospect of 30 year old Marvin Williams making more than $10 mil/year is pretty funny.

ETA:
Big Al missed half the season last year and didn't start when he came back. Marvin is younger, had a career year, was healthy and started, played great defense and was a perfect fit for the offense. He is way more important than Al.

Marvin is 30 and Al leaving means that we have to play Frank more.

You might be lucky though and Hornets might not even be able to re-sign Marvin because he will be coveted, much more so than Al.

Frank never plays C. Al leaving means they'll play Spencer more or sign another backup C. Frank's role doesn't change at all.

You might be lucky though and Hornets might not even be able to re-sign Marvin because he will be coveted, much more so than Al.

This is precisely why you don't piss away your 22nd pick in a draft where there were plenty of available role player-types and good international players who wanted to play right away in the NBA.

This is precisely why you don't piss away your 22nd pick in a draft where there were plenty of available role player-types and good international players who wanted to play right away in the NBA.

They got a 2016-17 rotation player at #22, they probably wouldn't have gotten one if they used the pick.

In fact, the Hornets are killing it so far because Batum signed for way less than he could have with a decreasing cap hit: https://thecauldron.si.com/the-horn...colas-batums-discount-d35caad5f28a#.hhhqjfce7

Relative to the market, the Hornets got a steal from their agreement on a reported five-year, $120 million pact with Nicolas Batum. That’s $33 million less than he could have gotten with maximum raises for a contract starting at his projected $26.6 million max. Indeed, 5/120 is only $7 million less than he could have gotten over four years by signing with another team for the maximum. Batum did manage to get a likely Early Termination Option (ETO) on the fifth year, allowing him to re-enter the market at age 31 should he choose.

Back