• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2015-2016 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Batum & Marv back, Lin, Al & Lee gone

I might be in the minority, but I'm SO glad big Al is gone. I really liked him at first, but the number of times I watched him holding the ball and was screaming "kick it out" at my tv, only to watch him take an ill advised shot and brick it, then watched him run incredibly slowly the other way, makes me very happy. I'd rather have energetic Zeller down low and let Marv and our backcourt score the points.

Can't fucking wait to see MORE air balled Zeller layups any time there is possible contact anywhere near the rim. Psyched!

dudes this is an awesome deal

@WojVerticalNBA
Free agent guard Ramon Sessions has agreed to a two-year, $12.5M deal with the Charlotte Hornets, league source tells @TheVertical.

In Europe.

I assume the NBA GM's know what they are doing, but what is the knock on Barber. He is lightning quick and scored bunches with decent percentages. Is his defense bad? To small?

dudes this is an awesome deal

@WojVerticalNBA
Free agent guard Ramon Sessions has agreed to a two-year, $12.5M deal with the Charlotte Hornets, league source tells @TheVertical.

I should prematurely shit on Cho more often. This is another badass deal. Pretty glad to be so wrong.

I should prematurely shit on Cho more often. This is another badass deal. Pretty glad to be so wrong.

not out of the woods yet

@WojVerticalNBA
Sources: Charlotte still trying to move Spencer Hawes contract to clear additional space for a center. Hibbert and Zaza are top of the list.

1. worried about them attaching a 1st to get rid of Hawes
2. MUCH prefer Zaza as a backup C to Hibbert

ETA:

@WojVerticalNBA
Sources: Other possible center candidates in Charlotte: Festus Ezeli and Jordan Hill.

do want Ezeli, he'd actually start and Cody would back him up. that'd be a huge coup.

Last edited:
@WojVerticalNBA
Sources: Charlotte, Roy Hibbert agreement: One-year, $5M.

Fair deal. No more cap space. I guess Ezeli was possible if they moved Hawes and they probably would have given up a pick to do so. Hibbert and not giving up a 1st is okay I guess.

Hibbert is fine for 1 year and $5 mil, good signing. Would have definitely preferred Ezeli, but can't complain too much.

However, I despise Ramon Sessions. In his one year with the Horcats, I've never seen someone so adept at getting to the rim yet failing to finish for no apparent reason. He has to lead the league in blown layups.

Pelton doesn't like Sessions, I thought the money was fine:

Of the three backup point guards who signed with teams on Monday, Sessions is probably the worst player and the worst value. While Brandon Jennings and Sergio Rodriguez both took one-year deals, Sessions got two years, albeit at slightly less annually.

I think Jennings and Rodriguez have the chance to be above-average backups, while Sessions is closer to replacement level because of his porous defense. ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM) rated him 46th among point guards last season.

I thought sessions was fine for us. Can't shoot though, defense not good. When I watched the Wizards the talent around Wall looked God-awful including Sessions. He does not like to pass. I don't think it's a terrible move or even a bad one necessarily but I certainly don't see the awesomeness of it

Last edited:
Not much, he stinks at just about everything. He is a massive dropoff from Lin, I definitely would have preferred Jennings in that role. Hopefully Harrison steps up and takes it or they can work a trade.

Apparently they are (or at least were before the Hibbert deal) talking to Milwaukee about Greg Monroe if the Bucks can lure Wade and need to make cap room, but they would need to find a third team to make it work.

Is Troy Daniels back or is he gone?

Hornets gave Daniels a QO making him a RFA. Hornets have option to match any deal he goes out and gets, he hasn't gotten one yet.

I assume the NBA GM's know what they are doing, but what is the knock on Barber. He is lightning quick and scored bunches with decent percentages. Is his defense bad? To small?

Hard to put a finger on it honestly. He's never been a great shooter, though has gotten better with age. From what my untrained eyes see he's really quick with the ball and has a great handle but isn't super explosive after he shakes a guy. This makes him unable to really get to the rim at will compared to guys you would be more familiar with in Ish Smith and Teague. They just had a lot more explosive athleticism in their games than i've ever seen with Cat, and I think that' something a guy at his size needs at the NBA level. He's also an average defender at best, and a bad team defender. Couple that with him not being a great distributor and really not making his teammates better lead to him going undrafted.

Cat Barber kinda reminds me of Marquis Teague. Super-slight, decent skills, but not elite enough in any category to make it in the NBA.

Cat Barber kinda reminds me of Marquis Teague. Super-slight, decent skills, but not elite enough in any category to make it in the NBA.

I think that's a really good comparison minus all the UK hype Teague got.

Am I crazy for thinking that Hibbert isn't completely useless and that Ewing and Clifford can make him a really solid option at C? At least defensively

I'm pretty excited about him all the way around. Even on offense I think he'll be solid. Al got a lot of 1-on-1 in the post against backup Cs due to the 4-out 1-in style, and Hibbert should be able to take advantage of that as well. He doesn't have all of Al's post moves, but he can do more damage if he gets closer to the basket given his size.

Back