• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2015 Omnibus Fantasy Football Thread

So it's my turn this year to have the team that is pretty good (4th most points in a 10-team league), but gets unlucky matchups week after week (most points against by like 100 points) so I'm mired in 9th place sitting at 1-4. Just one of the reasons why fantasy football kind of sucks.

So it's my turn this year to have the team that is pretty good (4th most points in a 10-team league), but gets unlucky matchups week after week (most points against by like 100 points) so I'm mired in 9th place sitting at 1-4. Just one of the reasons why fantasy football kind of sucks.

Yes, head-to-head scheduling sucks. What happened to you is why our group moved to a site that supports "all play" where you play every team every week. You beat the teams you outscore each week. No scheduling luck involved. You get exactly what you deserve. I'm in a 10 team league, so we play 9 games each week. The highest scoring team goes 9-0, the second highest 8-1..., the lowest 0-9. So after Week 5, we've played 45 games so far.

Playing this way also gives your record the appropriate weight. In h2h, a terrible team loses 3 games bc they suck and they are 0-3. A middling team who either played strong teams or got unlucky like you could also go 0-3. h2h makes no distinction. In all play, the terrible team (mine) may go 2-25 instead of 0-3, while the middling team would go 13-12 instead of 0-3.

What drove us to all play was that 10+ years ago, ESPN had a feature on their site called "what would your record be with someone else's schedule," and the variance was about +/- 3-4 games. Big difference between 6-7 and out of the playoffs and 10-3 and in the playoffs just due to scheduling vagaries. We play at http://www.myfantasyleague.com/ The bad part is they are among the last sites to charge to play, $70/league/yr, which is not bad divided among 10 teams but still not free like most. My hope is that all play catches on and ESPN and yahoo adopt it.

Yahoo adds 'if you played every team, every week' records to the game recaps.

So HTTD, please tell me you're killing it in Pit 2 and you'll be back to lead Pit 1 next season. Doofus sucks as a commish.

awaken, do you not have playoffs? I think h2h is the dominant format in fantasy football because it is feasible from week to week and mirrors actual football.

Speaking of the 20 team Pit League 2...I own Andrew Luck. I picked up Hasselbeck to fill in the past two weeks. Can I safely drop him now?

So HTTD, please tell me you're killing it in Pit 2 and you'll be back to lead Pit 1 next season. Doofus sucks as a commish.

awaken, do you not have playoffs? I think h2h is the dominant format in fantasy football because it is feasible from week to week and mirrors actual football.

We could have playoffs. It would mean stopping the season and then playing h2h for several weeks. If all play >> h2h, why do that? We choose not to have playoffs for several reasons.
1) The number of teams in a playoff is an arbitrary number. The number of viable teams for the championship fluctuates season to season. Keep playing and let that number set itself. Some years the number of viable teams after week 13 is 6; some years its 3. In our first year playing this way, I won the title after being #5 after week 13 - got hot with Larry Johnson after Priest Holmes injury; finished the year 36-0 and took the lead on the last week. That's a weighted strong finish. I do publish a weekly league article on the website and keep up the mathematical eliminations.
2) Make the champ beat the league all season long. Although numerically eliminated, poor teams can still play spoiler. Let the whole league play the entire season instead of cutting two thirds into consolation rounds or no play at all. Everyone plays in December in our league.
3) Mirroring the NFL is not really the point of FFL. The point of FFL is stat accumulation. Playing h2h does not properly measure this. The FFL point system does not mirror NFL game scores to better measure stat accumulation, so why should the W-L? Also auctions >> drafts, which also mirror NFL. So little in FFL mirrors the NFL, so why do W-L?
4) Roto or points leagues are also better measurements than h2h, but they are season-long and lack the excitement of re-setting each week. One team can run away early in a points or roto league - you know this from baseball and basketball. Re-setting each week also rewards week to week consistency.
5) When our league was considering a playoff, they wanted to reward the "top teams" with bonus points in the playoffs. While this is understandable, it is arbitrary. We let the reward set itself by continuing to play. If you lead the league by only 1 game in week 13, you've earned very little reward. You've earned your 1 game lead. If you lead the league by 25 games in week 13, you deserve a greater reward - a huge lead going into the final weeks. In all play, there is no need to arbitrarily reward good teams toward the end of the season.
6) Having played this way for 10 years, I can say it is still exciting in December. I've won and lost leagues on the last week of the season. The leader often has less than 9 game lead with one week (9 games) to play. There are some years where the leaders lead exceeds the games remaining and he coasts. Not as exciting, but it is deserved to happen like that.

Any KC fans? Is this Charcandrick guy worth a waiver priority?

Not a KC fan, but apparently he will be first up to take over, and has been playing ahead on Davis recently. They were looking at Pierre Thomas and Ben Tate, so that would confuse the issue.

That being said I put in a waiver claim in my 10 team league with Lynch injured/sucking (just dropping a D after Panthers bye week) I didn't bother in my 8 team league. I think he's worth the risk, but I would like to hear from a KC fan that actually has seen him play. . . . anyone?

So my top 2 WRs are Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders- should I be worried that Peyton's arm is about to fall off and they rely heavily on their defense? The service I use (huddle.com) still rates both as top 10 receivers for the remainder of the season.

So my top 2 WRs are Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders- should I be worried that Peyton's arm is about to fall off and they rely heavily on their defense? The service I use (huddle.com) still rates both as top 10 receivers for the remainder of the season.

I would diversify your portfolio via trade, if you can, sending the deep threat and keeping the possession WR.

All Cardinal RB's were viable this past week: CJ2k got the yardage (100+), David Johnson got 2 goal line TD's, Ellington had 3 carries but a 63 yd TD run.

Start/sit
Cam QB
L. Blount RB
D. Woodhead RB
T. Benjamin WR
J. Brown WR
B. Celek TE
L. Hankerson WR
Packers D/ST

Bench
CJ Anderson RB
A. Abdullah RB
A. Ellington RB
K. Aiken WR
T. Rawls RB
C. West RB

Can't figure out if I should Bump Brown or Hankerson out and sub in either Ellington or maybe West as my flex?

Broncos face the Browns, who have the worst run defense in the league. If you own a Bronco RB, and don't play him this week, you never will. If you're waiting for a breakout game from them, this is the one.

But seawolf, I would go West as your flex. KC RB's have done ok after a Charles' injury before.

Need help with a WR2 and flex (WR1 is AJ Green). Let's assume everyone is healthy/playing:

T. Benjamin vs. DEN
S. Smith Sr. @ SF
A. Hurns vs. HOU
K. Williams vs. CIN

I like Williams especially if Tyrod doesn't play (I also have Watkins and for that reason am not considering him at the moment)

Karlos Williams is likely out this week. What's my best bet among these bad RB matchups?

J Stewart vs. Seahawks
D Johnson vs. Steelers
Bradshaw vs. Patriots

Leaning Johnson because he seems to generate double digit points with few touches and there's always a chance he'll surpass Ellington and Chris Johnson.

Need help with a WR2 and flex (WR1 is AJ Green). Let's assume everyone is healthy/playing:

T. Benjamin vs. DEN
S. Smith Sr. @ SF
A. Hurns vs. HOU
K. Williams vs. CIN

I like Williams especially if Tyrod doesn't play (I also have Watkins and for that reason am not considering him at the moment)

Hurns, with Williams out for the week.

Hurns has been downgraded to Questionable.

Back