• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

What was Kerry Wood's pitch count when he struck out 20? Because his arm basically fell off after that and his career was never the same.

Oh, and who was his manager? :tard:

If ONE game ruins you as a pitcher, you weren't long for the league anyway.

Hell, Ryan and Tiant EACH threw over 200 pitches in a game against each other and pitch many years after that. Ryan was throwing 95+ and Tiant threw a ton of screwballs.

Luis won his 8th game that night. He won 22 for the season, 18 the next season and 21 two years later.

Ryan was a rotation starter for EIGHTEEN YEARS after that night. He led the league in K's EIGHT more times. He struck out 300+ four more times (five if you include that season).

But today throwing 120 or 130 pitches ONCE can ruin a career. What pussified crapola!

If ONE game ruins you as a pitcher, you weren't long for the league anyway.

Hell, Ryan and Tiant EACH threw over 200 pitches in a game against each other and pitch many years after that. Ryan was throwing 95+ and Tiant threw a ton of screwballs.

Luis won his 8th game that night. He won 22 for the season, 18 the next season and 21 two years later.

Ryan was a rotation starter for EIGHTEEN YEARS after that night. He led the league in K's EIGHT more times. He struck out 300+ four more times (five if you include that season).

But today throwing 120 or 130 pitches ONCE can ruin a career. What pussified crapola!

I was in a car accident when I was a kid. Wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I wasn't hurt though. Based on this single experience, I conclude that seatbelts aren't necessary and that anyone who wears a seatbelt is a pussy.

I was in a car accident when I was a kid. Wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I wasn't hurt though. Based on this single experience, I conclude that seatbelts aren't necessary and that anyone who wears a seatbelt is a pussy.

Thousands of pitchers had multiple 120-150 pitch games in a month. But today people routinely talk about ruining a pitcher's season or career if they have one such game.

Ryan averaged 127 pitches per game in 1989 - you are also being silly.

Ryan averaged 127 pitches per game in 1989 - you are also being silly.

You forgot a very important aspect of 1989 for Nolan Ryan. He was 42 yo in 1989. That year had a game of 164 and threw 150 five days later.

For a period of 16 seasons, Steve Carlton never completed less than 10 games. Over a nine year period, Fergie Jenkins completed 20 games eight time.

if those guys did that today their eras would be in the teens.

So what's the difference? Velocity and spin on pitches today putting more strain on arms? I agree that pitchers are more "fragile" than they used to be - but what's the cause?

So what's the difference? Velocity and spin on pitches today putting more strain on arms? I agree that pitchers are more "fragile" than they used to be - but what's the cause?

Yogi allegedly said, "Ninety percent of this game is half mental".

If it's drilled into you from the time you are in middle school that you can't throw more than 100 pitches, it has an impact.

I also think one of the problems is pitchers train too much thee days. It's counterintuitive that if you train more that you should participate less. It doesn't make any sense that pitchers who train hours a day, all year should pitch 25+% less innings than pitchers whose offseason routine was golf and beer.

Old Hoss Radbourn started 75 games and threw 678 innings in 1884. Were he alive (he is on twitter!), he would have thought Nolan Ryan was soft.

Kids play wayyyyy more when younger

hitters are better. equipment is better. training is better (despite rj's idiotic claim). information is better.

i also think there's an element of kids throwing too much and too hard too young.

i'd also bet a big part is due to the fact that to make it to the bigs you had to be able to pitch 300 innings. so there are a bunch of dudes that burned out we never heard of. the guys we've heard of were the rare breeds that had rubber arms.

also windups are much different, and id guess most of those old timers would get a million bases stolen off of them. look at how many sbs there were in the 80s that lead to more simple deliveries.

What's idiotic is to think pitchers of the late 60-late 80s would have ERAs in the teens today.

Kids start younger, lift younger. When you lift too much, your body does break down.

How many pitchers wind-up with men on base? Stat geeks have decided that sbs are not a good idea. Of course they also say, there's no such thing as protection in a line-up or a hot hand in basketball.

What's idiotic is to think pitchers of the late 60-late 80s would have ERAs in the teens today.

Kids start younger, lift younger. When you lift too much, your body does break down.

How many pitchers wind-up with men on base? Stat geeks have decided that sbs are not a good idea. Of course they also say, there's no such thing as protection in a line-up or a hot hand in basketball.

Outside of a handful, pitchers in the 60s, 70s and even into the 80s had heaters in the mid 80s, they would be crushed in todays game.

Outside of a handful, pitchers in the 60s, 70s and even into the 80s had heaters in the mid 80s, they would be crushed in todays game.

If they were playing today, they'd train like today and would throw harder.

If they were playing today, they'd train like today and would throw harder.

and not throw 200 pitches/300 innings

circle-04.jpg

Back