• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Who would be the best point guard in the league if all point guards could only use one hand and had to wear an eye patch over one eye????

So basically who would be the best Pirate PG?

Probably Giannis. He's got huge hands, doesn't need to dribble to cover much ground, and is from a historically seafaring nation.

As they say, the best ability is availability. In six years, Kyrie has played as many as 75 games - ONCE. He's played under 60 games THREE TIMES. If you get hurt a lot when you are young, it's likely you'll continue to miss games.

Playing with Lebron, Kyrie only averages getting about 1.2 less shots per game than Lillard takes as the man.

I wouldn't even consider Conley over CP3, steph, harden, westbrook, wall, or Kyrie. Personally I'd add Lowry to that list too so I think Conley is a lot closer to 10 than he is to top 3

I like Mike Conley. He's nice player, who got a great contract. If you look at his first ten years, he's a poor man's Mo Cheeks.

Who would be the best point guard in the league if all point guards could only use one hand and had to wear an eye patch over one eye????

Chris Paul. Cause lowkey #Zoolanderstats show the dude can't go left.

Best pirate PG? James Harrrrrden.

zach lowe proposed two trades in his column today in which the cavs get way better by trading kyrie. one was a 3 teamer in which they get Melo and Bledsoe for Kyrie and flotsam. Another was with Denver in which they got Wilson Chandler, Gary Harris, and Jamal Murray. i'd rather have gary harris than victor oladipo and he was just the centerpiece of a trade for PG.

I wouldn't even consider Conley over CP3, steph, harden, westbrook, wall, or Kyrie. Personally I'd add Lowry to that list too so I think Conley is a lot closer to 10 than he is to top 3

I think that's fine. I don't agree but with the talent at PG in the NBA right now I don't have a good argument to use other than my opinion. Id take him over Westbrook, Wall, Kyrie and Lowry but if you like any or all of them better, I'm not going to argue that you are wrong. I think that his defense and feel for the position is better than all of those other guys and that when you get into a playoff series he would give you the best chance of winning one no matter what team you put around him but like I said, it's splitting hairs.

I think that's fine. I don't agree but with the talent at PG in the NBA right now I don't have a good argument to use other than my opinion. Id take him over Westbrook, Wall, Kyrie and Lowry but if you like any or all of them better, I'm not going to argue that you are wrong. I think that his defense and feel for the position is better than all of those other guys and that when you get into a playoff series he would give you the best chance of winning one no matter what team you put around him but like I said, it's splitting hairs.

I understand people that put Westbrook at the bottom of the Steph/CP3/Harden pack. I do not understand people that don't have him as a clear cut top 4 PG.

I understand people that put Westbrook at the bottom of the Steph/CP3/Harden pack. I do not understand people that don't have him as a clear cut top 4 PG.

I prefer the defense and efficiency of Conley over Westbrook, they are 4 and 5 for me. He didn't make anyone better on OKC this year IMO, and that was a problem (even if most of his teammates were ungood). You can't have that usage rate and keep teammates engaged. But I don't want to go down that road/argument again, it's been had 1000 times.

I prefer the defense and efficiency of Conley over Westbrook, they are 4 and 5 for me. He didn't make anyone better on OKC this year IMO, and that was a problem (even if most of his teammates were ungood). You can't have that usage rate and keep teammates engaged. But I don't want to go down that road/argument again, it's been had 1000 times.

You switch Conley for Westbrook this past season and I don't think there is any way the Thunder make the playoffs

Agree with all of that but a selfish Westbrook simply adds a ton more value than an unselfish Conley. Similar to how a selfish Kobe was still better for his team than an unselfish Iggy or Rip Hamilton would have been.

One can point out the flaws in Westbrook's game that put a cap on his and his team's success AND appreciate and prefer Conley's style of play AND recognize that the two aren't in the same league.

Agree with all of that but a selfish Westbrook simply adds a ton more value than an unselfish Conley. Similar to how a selfish Kobe was still better for his team than an unselfish Iggy or Rip Hamilton would have been.

One can point out the flaws in Westbrook's game that put a cap on his and his team's success AND appreciate and prefer Conley's style of play AND recognize that the two aren't in the same league.

That's all fair, and as I said, i'm thinking more from who do I think is a better player to help me win a playoff series. I would prefer Conley. What Conley did this year in the playoffs against SA is more impressive to me than what Westbrook did in their loss. I think Westbrook is a more useful player in the regular season due to the shear force of nature he is and not being able to contain that when he rolls into town for one night. But I don't think he has the ability/skill to adapt to thought out game plans like Conley can that you see in a 7 game series.

The playoff per 100 possessions for their careers in the playoffs have them basically neck and neck so as I said, its fine if you disagree, and maybe we aren't really even disagreeing about the same thing but i'd take Conley over Russ if I have to have a PG below the top 3 to win a playoff series.

I don't get the disrepect for Steph on here sometimes. There's not a group of top 4 - there's a group of top 1.

Steph
CP3 / Harden / Westbrook
Irving/Wall/Conley/etc

I don't get the disrepect for Steph on here sometimes. There's not a group of top 4 - there's a group of top 1.

Steph
CP3 / Harden / Westbrook
Irving/Wall/Conley/etc

This.

Tier 1: Steph

Tier 2: CP3, Harden, Westbrook

Tier 3: Wall, Lillard, Irving, Conley

Tier 4: Lowry, Isaiah, Kemba, Dragic

Tier 5: Bledsoe, Jrue, Teague, Hill, Rubio

Tier 6: Schroeder, Russell, Rose, Parker

Or something like that.

Kyrie is basically the point guard version of Carmelo. Scores very well, but doesn't do the things necessary to carry a team as its #1 option.

The Cavs were minus-120 in 635 minutes with Kyrie on and LeBron off last season, and nearly half of those minutes (312) came with Kevin Love. Tyronn Lue could hardly afford to take LeBron off the floor in the playoffs: Their net rating plummeted from plus-13.6 with him to minus-13.8 without him. The Cavs had three All-Stars, yet were as close to a one-man team as they could be. Kyrie ranked 40th in assist percentage and 71st in defensive RPM among NBA point guards, and if he couldn’t be bothered to play defense or share the ball when he was contending for a title, what is he going to do on a team that will struggle to crack .500?

https://theringer.com/phoenix-suns-potential-kyrie-irving-deal-nba-1651bd0f0ad7

Back