• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Nikola Jokic wins 3rd MVP

The Hornets are hiring 35-year-old Nets assistant GM Jeff Peterson as the new head of basketball ops to replace Kupchak when he retires after this season. Seems like a solid move, he apparently went from intern to assistant GM with the Hawks in 4 years and then had a big role with the Nets. I'm not sure if the Nets experience is good or bad, but he is young enough hopefully his talent shows through.

As the two explained it, the Heat's core and Paul had several conversations about how such a team would work. This was likely in 2011, the offseason after James' and Bosh's first season in Miami and when Paul was up for a trade from the New Orleans Hornets.

The group supposedly reached an agreement, until someone — later identified as Paul's brother, CJ —asked a very important question. The scene, as Wade recalled it:

"We talk about all this — who gonna have the ball, we can all play together, CP, I can play off the ball — we figured all that out. Then somebody said, 'Well, who gonna wear No. 3?'
"Silence. Messed the whole trade up because CP couldn't wear No. 3 in Miami."
At the time, Wade and Paul were both perennial All-Stars, though Wade, who is four years older, was the more established player and had won an NBA championship in 2006. It sounds almost unbelievable that either player — but especially Paul — would give up a chance to form an unprecedentedly stacked team, but then the two veterans revived the argument on the podcast:

Paul: "I don't know what they was going to do. Because you was older, you probably could have just worn 33."
Wade: "No, no. I wasn't older."
Paul: "You was older than me."
Wade: "I was in my prime!"
Paul: "I know, but because you was older than me, you probably just wear 33."
Wade: "No, no, no. See, this is the conversation we're having, and I'm like ,'That's my number.' He's like, 'Well, that's my number.'"
Wade firmly stated that Heat president Pat Riley declined to pull the trigger on the trade due to the jersey number, then noted that he had already sacrificed quite a bit to form the Heat's super team.

"Listen, I sacrificed not getting touches. I sacrificed not getting articles read and not getting the most money, but I am not giving up my number!"

No way Chet wins ROY after this.

Hell of a matchup though. Spurs win with a huge 4th quarter. Wemby and Chet both looked great.

Chet is super talented, but I just dont see how its not Wemby, when he is breaking or setting some record almost weekly

When did cp ever have a Chance to join Miami ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011, right before he joined the Clippers.

There is a certain level of respect for communicating the jersey issue up front vs. letting it fester like most would do, that is one of the leadership points CP always stresses. The flip side is LeBron wore 6, MJ wore 45, just pick a different number and create one of the best teams of all time.

CP also said on the same DWade podcast he doesn’t regret the nut punch and he essentially got himself traded from HOU because he got Westbrook interested in coming to HOU.

Chet is super talented, but I just dont see how its not Wemby, when he is breaking or setting some record almost weekly
Chet was better the first few months of the season, but Wemby has caught up and passed him, it seems

Nurkic with 30 rebs with a min to go in what looks like a loss to OKC w/o Booker

Finished with 31 and no one else had more than 4.

I'm not sure how SGA isn't the clear MVP favorite. 2nd in points. 1st in steals. 1st in the West leading the 3rd youngest team in the NBA (and I think they were 2nd before trading for Hayward). Jokic and Luka are obviously amazing SGA is doing things nobody expected. Seems like he's not getting enough credit for the Thunder's success.

Last edited:
Finished with 31 and no one else had more than 4.

I'm not sure how SGA isn't the clear MVP favorite. 2nd in points. 1st in steals. 1st in the West leading the 3rd youngest team in the NBA (and I think they were 2nd before trading for Hayward). Jokic and Luka are obviously amazing SGA is doing things nobody expected. Seems like he's not getting enough credit for the Thunder's success.
you're not sure how the dude that has fewer points, assists, and rebounds per game than luka is not the clear MVP favorite?

i think SGA has a great case, but to deny it's not close is silly

Edwards too. Today's NBA is the best it's been maybe since Jordan. My only complaint is all the soft flagrants the refs call these days. Laimbeer and Mahorn wouldn't play more than 30 games per season in this league.

This MVP race will be a test of the "best player on the best team" logic. Tatum and SGA don't seem to get enough credit.

So many talented young players in this league.

This MVP race will be a test of the "best player on the best team" logic. Tatum and SGA don't seem to get enough credit.
It makes zero sense to me to give the award to a player like Tatum, who is surrounded by the best supporting cast in the league. Makes it so much easier for him. Great player, but I don't buy the MVP argument for him at all.

Back