• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Diamond Deacs Thread: Wake sweeps Clemson; ACCT starts Wednesday

Are our road woes due to playing so much on turf at home?

I don't think that is huge factor for struggles on the road. Most teams struggle more away from home due to a variety of reasons. Factors could be hard to play after traveling, staying in hotel, different routines, different hitting backdrops, etc.. Also, BC is difficult place to get up for playing at because there is zero atmosphere there. With that said, hard to make excuses for 0-2 start against BC. Tomorrow is a different day and hopefully the bats wake up and we can salvage final game of series.

Example of how our all-around play and coaching is bad on the road. Saturday BC didn't give up a walk all day. How does a coach not get a runner with BC's hx at P this year? Sun game: we are 3 up 3 down with 1st 2 batters striking out. OTH Holmes has 2 strike count on 1st 2 batters and still walks both. We give up a lot of walks and hits on 2 strike counts. OTH we take a lot of pitches called strike, esp 1st pitches, all season.

So yeah, we're going to get swept by BC. "Pro Humanitate" must be Latin for "not clutch."

At 9-15 in the ACC, we can't still be in the projected tournament field, can we?

At 9-15 in the ACC, we can't still be in the projected tournament field, can we?

We're a game out. ACC Tournament format is top 2 in each division then next best 4 records. Georgia Tech and VPI have the last two spots at 10-14. We're a game back with BC at 9-15.

GT has to play @UVA and home to Miami
VT: State at home, @ UNC
-----------
BC: @ UNC, Duke
Wake: @Miami, Clemson at home.

It's definitely possible for us to still get in (have the tiebreaker over GT and VT) but we really pissed ourselves by getting swept this weekend

Sucks, but sadly I am not surprised. Now 1-11 on the road in the ACC.

13 hits all weekend against a mediocre pitching staff?

Last edited:
We're a game out. ACC Tournament format is top 2 in each division then next best 4 records. Georgia Tech and VPI have the last two spots at 10-14. We're a game back with BC at 9-15.

GT has to play @UVA and home to Miami
VT: State at home, @ UNC
-----------
BC: @ UNC, Duke
Wake: @Miami, Clemson at home.

It's definitely possible for us to still get in (have the tiebreaker over GT and VT) but we really pissed ourselves by getting swept this weekend

I think he was asking about a different tourney.

Terrible series sweep for us. Definitely unacceptable at this point in the game. Raises questions about the differences between playing at home on the turf and the grass on the road. Guess that has little to nothing to do with our inability to hit their mediocre pitching. We need to rebound quickly if we are even going to make the ACC Tournament because of how loaded it is this year. Really interesting how three games can change the whole perspective on a season like this.

If we just didn't have the talent to win on the road in the ACC, that would be one thing, but that isn't the case.

Either way, at this point the NCAAs and ACC tourney pretty much go hand in hand. Miss the ACC's and there's no way we make the NCAAs

A few years ago, LSU missed the SEC tourney but still made the NCAA's. That said, it can't happen this year for us. We are going to have 6 tops in the NCAA's--FSU, UNC-Ch, NC State, Miami, UVa & Clemson.

I still think that we are in good shape to make the tournament. I definitely think we will get more than 6 teams in. We really need to step it up over the next two weeks.

We aren't in good shape to make the tournament any more. I hope we can win a game in Miami, but what real evidence is there that we won't have another road sweep.

We aren't in good shape to make the tournament any more. I hope we can win a game in Miami, but what real evidence is there that we won't have another road sweep.

Well you may be right. I have faith that we can get at least one. I think we can get two from Clemson here and will continue to win the mid-week games.

Devastating sweep at last place BC now has us at 9-15 and on the outside looking in to make either Tourney. :mad:

It's unfathomable how poorly this team plays on the road in conference, with just one lone win away from the friendly WF Baseball Park confines.

Some of the insiders on the other board are speculating that depth is wearing us down. Also, BC is alot better than people here were giving them credit for at home. We still should have won one of three. But that is just added to the long list of weekend games this year that we have had there for the taking and ended up with moral victories, and the chickens are coming home to roost.

Win 2 or 3 of those 7 or 8 games, and we are sitting here at 11-13 or 12-12 and could withstand this past weekend.

Now 1-11 on the road in the ACC.

Is that true? I was at the game where we won in extra innings @UNC (though we did our best to piss away the game in the 9th inning that night). Sounds like I need to travel to more games.

Yep, and if you add in 1-3 at NMSU, that is 2-14 against good weekend competition.

Looks like we may be a year away...not good since Lopez is gone and Mac may leave if he is drafted highly enough.

Back