• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Diamond Deacs Thread: Wake sweeps Clemson; ACCT starts Wednesday

Cooney & Holmes are both juniors. Probably 2 years away.

Cooney & Holmes are both juniors. Probably 2 years away.

Why does Cooney/Holmes being juniors put us two years away? It would seem to set us up for a solid year. We also have Austin Stadler back. Losing Lopez, Dimock, and Williamson will hurt but we will have Conway back. I would think losing 3 key players is not unusual for college baseball. The younger guys will have to step up and fill the holes.

I would be shocked if Cooney is back. Holmes is quite iffy also.

Even if we achieve what would be termed positive results in our last two series (win 1 at Miami and win the series over Clemson taking 2 of 3), we'd finish 12-18 in ACC play. I have a tough time seeing that getting us to the tournament. While the program's trajectory seems better than in prior years, missing the tournament this year would be tough, and if Cooney/Holmes do leave, a 4 (5?) year drought from tournament play and losing the top players both in the lineup and rotation doesn't make me feel fantastic about the program. Not terrible either, but pretty lukewarm.

With Wake down 5-3 to Elon in the bottom of the 4th, Mac comes up with the bases loaded & jacks one!!! Deacs up 7-5 now!!

One good thing is that BC's RPI is up to 64, which doesn't make a road sweep look quite as bad.

Let's get these two Elon games. That would help.

With Wake down 5-3 to Elon in the bottom of the 4th, Mac comes up with the bases loaded & jacks one!!! Deacs up 7-5 now!!

Wake holds on 7-5. Need the win tomorrow big time.

3 hits. We are really knocking the cover off the ball this week. Glad Elon walked a ton of Wake batters and we got the GS.

Just returned home from my first Wake game of the season. Good win; but not a good baseball game. But, what impressed me the most was the size of the crowd.

2-0 Elon bottom 3rd. Wake still hitless. 23 hits in the last 48 innings and we really haven't faced a top pitcher during that stretch.

Another very sad, pathetic road loss. Football can't get here soon enough.

Another very sad, pathetic road loss. Football can't get here soon enough.

Don't talk about things you don't know about.

It would have been a nice win to get one at Elon yesterday since they are ranked 42nd in RPI (Wake is 38th). Our bats are really struggling right now, especially on the road and that appears to be more than just a trend at this point. Something about the road is just killing us this year and it could cost us a shot at the NCAA Tournament. It seems to me that we are still one year away because of our inability to do much of anything away from Wake Forest Baseball Park.

To call a loss to an Elon team that is 17-5 at wins (6 in a row) "very sad and pathetic" just demonstrates your lack of knowledge on baseball. The loss in itself is not a bad one, but when put into the whole scheme of things just makes things look bad.

This post isn't even meant to defend the Diamond Deacs. Their road play has been woeful this year and it's extremely frustrating, but I can't stand people that just say "Oh it's Elon they must be terrible so we suck because we lost to them". I bet if we lost to Dallas Baptist people would flip too, and they are 28th in the RPI.

Last edited:
Sorry to say, but it is very sad and very pathetic that this good team can't win road games, no matter who the opponent.

What happened in the first game against Miami? Were we rained out?

Miami is next weekend as this is finals week.

Does it look like we have to win 3 of our last 6 to make it to the ACC tourney? Since BC swept us and they are playing Duke at home we can assume that BC will win 2 of those 3 therefore we need three W's to get in front of BC. Can we do that with Miami and Clemson on tap?

Back