• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Gene Sapakoff ‏@Sapakoff 2m
Gregg Marshall told @notthefakeSVP that Wichita St. grad Bill Parcells has offered to help pay for Shockers' Mizzou Valley Conf. title rings

If we're quibling over how public the pursuit of Shaka has been I think we're arguing over nothing. Wellman made it blatantly clear to this fanbase Shaka was number one. Whatever the national media further reported on is their prerogative. He should even if he doesn't need to say whether wake has been denied and then if it has happened move on like every other school that has chased Smart. it would not be embarrassing or hurt some other coaches feelings. Happens all the time in searches for new coaches.
Ok, I guess I just respectfully disagree that he ever did any such thing. But let's move on and start bowing down to our #Manning overlords.

I don't think Ron's the only one involved this time. Remember Hatch's letter declaring he and other bigwigs would be closely involved in the hiring process? We never got a letter like that before. I thought it was a clear effort to reassure the fanbase that the president/BOT/big donors had no intention whatsoever of letting Ron poop in his own crate again. Their motivation for involving themselves? To salvage the Wake Will campaign. They are as desperate as we are to see a good coach come to Wake. This is a critical hire and RW is not going to be trusted to do this alone. Now, the oversite group may trot him out to talk to this person or that person, but they are in charge. I don't think they want Danny Manning, either.

I don't think Ron's the only one involved this time. Remember Hatch's letter declaring he and other bigwigs would be closely involved in the hiring process? We never got a letter like that before. I thought it was a clear effort to reassure the fanbase that the president/BOT/big donors had no intention whatsoever of letting Ron poop in his own crate again. Their motivation for involving themselves? To salvage the Wake Will campaign. They are as desperate as we are to see a good coach come to Wake. This is a critical hire and RW is not going to be trusted to do this alone. Now, the oversite group may trot him out to talk to this person or that person, but they are in charge. I don't think they want Danny Manning, either.

Yeah hatch being involved in this makes me feel wayyyyyy better.. It probably took him a week to even know Shaka was a person and not an expression. Not to mention he probably doesn't even comprehend the millions it costs to hire a big name coach and would rather use that to build some new dorms.

Ok, I guess I just respectfully disagree that he ever did any such thing. But let's move on and start bowing down to our #Manning overlords.

Whether it actually came from his mouth is immaterial. His off the record sources explicitly made it clear.

Re the "swing for the fences" comment in Dan's article. Somebody posted that Hatch said they are "aiming high" in the coaching search during a talk at the law school. If that is verified, it is much more telling than whatever rumor Dan heard on the practice field. And would, I think, fuel backlash if an unproven coach is hired.

meh.

I'm going to assume gross incompetence until the ink is dried on our new coach's contract.

I think that our AD has earned that skepticism, too.

I fully endorse either Danny Manning or Larry Krystowiak as coaches. When I think about the NBA careers of those two guys, I think of their bad knees. If there's anything this team has in spades, it's players with bad knees. Throw in Harry Giles' bad knee and you can see how attractive it may be to have a knee whisperer as your head coach.

Wake's version of Moneyball used to leverage NC and overseas talent. With Manning or Krystowiak, we could focus exclusively on recruiting the knee braced players. Something to chew on.

Hey I know, I'll grab some lunch, go to the store...

Wait.

14ild7l.jpg

This thread is haunting me - and taunting me - everywhere I go now. Great.

But I mean, the fact that others are involved in the search process doesn't necessarily mean we'll end up with a coach we all like and are excited about. It's possible that the "group effort" yields better results than Wellman alone would've gotten, but which are still disappointing relative to our expectations.

Palm Beach y'all!! Where oversight is taken to a whole 'notha level!

I still believe Wellman is 95% in charge of the search.

Despite all the negative nannies on this board, today has actually been a very good day for Wake's job search. Cuonzo staying at Tennessee (an opening there would have complicated our efforts mightily) and Wojo taking the Marquette job off the market are both very positive events. Manning is not going to happen. We will get a very good coach.

I fully endorse either Danny Manning or Larry Krystowiak as coaches. When I think about the NBA careers of those two guys, I think of their bad knees. If there's anything this team has in spades, it's players with bad knees. Throw in Harry Giles' bad knee and you can see how attractive it may be to have a knee whisperer as your head coach.

Wake's version of Moneyball used to leverage NC and overseas talent. With Manning or Krystowiak, we could focus exclusively on recruiting the knee braced players. Something to chew on.

We can hire T-Rut away from his Probation Offcr gig in Atlanta to be an asst too!

But I mean, the fact that others are involved in the search process doesn't necessarily mean we'll end up with a coach we all like and are excited about. It's possible that the "group effort" yields better results than Wellman alone would've gotten, but which are still disappointing relative to our expectations.

Especially when the "others" are probably the same people who were on board with [Redacted] at the start and have defended him along the way.

Tennessee opening only really matters if we are actually still targeting someone big/good. I'm going to choose to densely overanalyze babydeac's post

Yeah hatch being involved in this makes me feel wayyyyyy better.. It probably took him a week to even know Shaka was a person and not an expression. Not to mention he probably doesn't even comprehend the millions it costs to hire a big name coach and would rather use that to build some new dorms.

Yep. I'm sure the President of the University has no clue whatsoever as to the finances of the athletic department. He probably can't even read a cash flow statement. What a doofus.

Back