• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Jeff Teague Podcast Thread: Interview with Ish Smith

A lot to unpack in that podcast. And unless you are a wake person, much of that would lack so much context that it would make no sense.

It seemed pretty clear that while the team was loaded with talent, the culture was horrible. Could Skip have made that thing work?

Turns out that Teague was not sulking when Ish came back. Or at least he didn’t suggest that in the pod. Now, having said that, Teague was singularly focused on making the league so maybe he was sulking at the time.

James Johnson should not be messed with.

Kinda surprised neither Teague nor Ish mentioned James martial arts. Seem to recall he was a blackbelt and won some Karate tournaments or something. Some one as big as James that could do a spinning round house kick would be terrifying.

Yeah. JJ caused a stir among MMA fans by saying he could beat a UFC champ if he had a year to train. The fans pointed out nobody could find any tape or records to backup his claims of having MMA success.

Looking forward to JJ and AFA getting on Teague's podcast at some point.

Harvey had a long term GF at Wake for much of the time he was there I think. I’m leaning LD, Ty, or Tony. Maybe the imagery of holding the person on the wall was just reaching up for their necks
Sunshine Covington FTW! They talk about her on the other cast.

I thought I heard Teague and Ish saying something about him being the reason the player chatting up Ol’ girl was there. Wasn’t Chas at Wake because of Teague’s recruitment? Were they on the same AAU team or am I thinking of Oden?

Sunshine Covington FTW! They talk about her on the other cast.

I thought I heard Teague and Ish saying something about him being the reason the player chatting up Ol’ girl was there. Wasn’t Chas at Wake because of Teague’s recruitment? Were they on the same AAU team or am I thinking of Oden?

I think they were saying she was only at Wake because Teague was there. She was also from Indianapolis.

I've heard off the record stories from the adults who had to deal with that team that told me they were a crazy bunch. It's nice to hear from the players that they admit they were very off the wall.

I miss those days horribly. What a fun time to cover Wake basketball.

I would not mess with James Johnson. We did a martial arts story with him and he threw some kind of kick that went clear over my head, and would have taken my head off if it connected.

Looking back at that roster and all I can wonder is whether Skip could have held that crew together.

Good question. The entire episode was misery. So have the last 12 years or so.
I get that. For me it’s not even close. I was sad when we kept flaming out but I’m way sadder now. No one even cares about us, considers us. Just listening to this podcast is kind of sad when they’re basically like- how the hell did we choose Wake? Then they tell how they chose it because of Mugsy, Duncan, Howard, Paul. That pipeline has dried the hell up. Plus those kids didn’t do anything really bad. They got rowdy in practice and threw some punches bc they’re that damn competitive? Who cares? This isn’t like an Aaron Hernandez and the Pouncey twins situation. I’d like to see some fire like that again.

I get that. For me it’s not even close. I was sad when we kept flaming out but I’m way sadder now. No one even cares about us, considers us. Just listening to this podcast is kind of sad when they’re basically like- how the hell did we choose Wake? Then they tell how they chose it because of Mugsy, Duncan, Howard, Paul. That pipeline has dried the hell up. Plus those kids didn’t do anything really bad. They got rowdy in practice and threw some punches bc they’re that damn competitive? Who cares? This isn’t like an Aaron Hernandez and the Pouncey twins situation. I’d like to see some fire like that again.
Great post. It does leave out one particular incident though.

Back