• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Jeff Teague Podcast Thread: Interview with Ish Smith

Not basketball related, but in like 1997/8 there was a quote in the WS Journal after we lost to Duke in football that said "we overlooked them".

This was in the midst of a 3-8 season - how does that even happen?

Not basketball related, but in like 1997/8 there was a quote in the WS Journal after we lost to Duke in football that said "we overlooked them".

This was in the midst of a 3-8 season - how does that even happen?
That’s a good way to feel better about yourself after a loss. I didn’t care that much.

Currently telling myself that re: Fantasy Football.

I took it more as a “fuck this. I’m out. On to the next thing””

I don’t think that’s much different than what I said. He was a 1st round pick. He had more basketball to play.

I don’t think that’s much different than what I said. He was a 1st round pick. He had more basketball to play.
Right but saying that to Harv was not a positive reflection on what kind of teammate JJ was. (Caveat: This is all second hand info per the pod).

But they did have a ruthless competitive drive against UNC, Duke, and pick up against CP3. A good coach taps into that ruthless competitive drive against Miami.
Someone with a truly ruthless competitive drive doesn't need a coach to tap into it - it is there all the time. Not every great athlete has it - they are all competitive, of course, but there is a difference between wanting to win and burning with the desire and drive to not only win but to destroy your opponent and their family. And putting in the work to prepare to win is part of that.
Guys that are competitive, but not driven like that, can use a good coach, or teammate, to drive them to greater heights. It sounds like this team was missing that coach or teammate.

Someone with a truly ruthless competitive drive doesn't need a coach to tap into it - it is there all the time. Not every great athlete has it - they are all competitive, of course, but there is a difference between wanting to win and burning with the desire and drive to not only win but to destroy your opponent and their family. And putting in the work to prepare to win is part of that.
Guys that are competitive, but not driven like that, can use a good coach, or teammate, to drive them to greater heights. It sounds like this team was missing that coach or teammate.
It sounds like Ish tried to be that guy to some degree. Coaches respected him, players respected him to an extent. But when your big dogs are wild James Johnson and Teague to the League, only so much you can really do. Ish did what he could to win them over. As others have said, maybe Prosser could have pulled them together. But who really knows. But yeah, Teague doesn't strike me as a guy who really wanted to put in the work to push himself that much. Even at the NBA level, he was making plans during halftime to go party after the game.

Didn’t we beat top 10 Clemson and top 10 UNC back to back and then as the #1 team immediately drop one to like shitty VT?

Main thing I remember about that unc game was going to my then gf/now wife’s apartment to hang out and watch the game, only to find out that she up and adopted a dog that day, which we had for the next decade.

Didn’t we beat top 10 Clemson and top 10 UNC back to back and then as the #1 team immediately drop one to like shitty VT?
Yeah I was at that shitty vt game, with my family all pulling for shitty vt because my sister went there. it was p lame to say the least

beat UNC by 3 at home (that was the week before College Basketball GameDay premiered; WF was #2, NC was #3; game would have been a shoe-in for GameDay)
beat BC by 20 on the road
beat Clemson by 10 on the road

Moved up to #1 in the country

lost by 7 at home to VT

UNC won the nattie that year. Clemson and BC both went to the NCAA tournament. WF...you know

Yeah I was at that shitty vt game, with my family all pulling for shitty vt because my sister went there. it was p lame to say the least
I was there as well. Absolutely lifeless effort from the team.

beat UNC by 3 at home (that was the week before College Basketball GameDay premiered; WF was #2, NC was #3; game would have been a shoe-in for GameDay)
beat BC by 20 on the road
beat Clemson by 10 on the road

Moved up to #1 in the country

lost by 7 at home to VT

UNC won the nattie that year. Clemson and BC both went to the NCAA tournament. WF...you know
but even after the VT they bounced back, the big Duke game with the JJ game-winner was a few games after that

then the wheels came off

Back