• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL NCAA Sweet 16 discussion thread

redwing42

Reaction score
Hey, guess what? There are basketball games on tonight!

7:15 Dayton-Stanford
7:47 Baylor-Wisconsin
9:45ish Florida-UCLA
10:17ish Arizona-San Diego St.

I think Baylor and Florida will win easily, but the other two games could be interesting.

I have a mid day flight out of LAX tomorrow and I'm thinking about driving down to Anaheim to watch the games tonight.

Florida-UCLA is going to be a fantastic game.

UCLA is playing really well right now. That game should be really, really good.

Yeah tomorrow's games are going to be amazing

For everyone who was waiting with baited breath, here are the KenPom rankings of the teams (team with the lower number is favored)

2. Florida v. 11. UCLA
44. Dayton v. 34. Stanford
1. Arizona v. 16. San Diego State
7. Wisconsin v. 21. Baylor

4. Virginia v. 8. Michigan State (MSU ranking is based on body of work, not everyone being healthy as they currently are)
19. Iowa State v. 20. Connecticut (Iowa State ranking is based on body of work with Niang, they don't have him)
13. Kentucky v. 3. Louisville
6. Tennessee v. 10. Michigan

Breakdown by conference:

Pac 12 (3)
SEC (3)
Big 10 (3)
AAC (2)
Big 12 (2)
ACC (1)
MWC (1)
Atlantic 10 (1)

kinda like the chalk tonight...plus the over in AZ/SDST

TN got the best draw of any team in the Sweet 16. Without McGary, MI is too soft and small to play with Stokes and the other big.

Maybe Ron is after Cuonzo Martin after seeing this draw.

Why did they schedule the UVA game for after I go out drinking on Fri nite?

Yeah tomorrow's games are going to be amazing

For everyone who was waiting with baited breath, here are the KenPom rankings of the teams (team with the lower number is favored)

2. Florida v. 11. UCLA
44. Dayton v. 34. Stanford
1. Arizona v. 16. San Diego State
7. Wisconsin v. 21. Baylor

4. Virginia v. 8. Michigan State (MSU ranking is based on body of work, not everyone being healthy as they currently are)
19. Iowa State v. 20. Connecticut (Iowa State ranking is based on body of work with Niang, they don't have him)
13. Kentucky v. 3. Louisville
6. Tennessee v. 10. Michigan

I can see UCLA giving Florida all it can handle

Not sure what 14 places in KenPom means as far as a betting line, but I like Baylor (especially if Wisconsin is favored)

Still don't really understand the Michigan St bandwagon (other than that Izzo is $$$ in March)

I have Iowa St in the Final 4. Felt great about that pick until Niang went down. Pretty nervous now.

Would think that Baylor is unlikely to have another game where they shoot 64% from the field and 61% from 3. Think that Wisconsin will grind Baylor down, but Baylor's size makes it tough on teams to score inside.

San Diego State plays great defense, but they will need to have their best shooting game of the year to stay close to Arizona (SD State Adj 0 #101; Arizona Adj D #1; bad match up for SDS).

UCLA beat #13 seed and a #12 seed to get Florida; Billy Donovan's record in the Sweet 16 is strong. Would be surprised to see UCLA pull off the upset.

Stanford is huge (3 6-10+ guys that can play and big guards), would give them the edge over Dayton.

RJ's attempt to impugn TN is now comical. They are playing the Big 10 champ, returning NCAA runner-up and consensus top 10 Michigan, yet they drew an easy opponent? Just admit that TN is better than you thought and we can all move on.

Kentucky/Louisville is going to be wild. Really looking forward to that one.

My (likely wrong) Sweet 16 picks: Florida, Dayton, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan State, UConn, Louisville, Michigan.

Would think that Baylor is unlikely to have another game where they shoot 64% from the field and 61% from 3. Think that Wisconsin will grind Baylor down, but Baylor's size makes it tough on teams to score inside.

San Diego State plays great defense, but they will need to have their best shooting game of the year to stay close to Arizona (SD State Adj 0 #101; Arizona Adj D #1; bad match up for SDS).

UCLA beat #13 seed and a #12 seed to get Florida; Billy Donovan's record in the Sweet 16 is strong. Would be surprised to see UCLA pull off the upset.

Stanford is huge (3 6-10+ guys that can play and big guards), would give them the edge over Dayton.

RJ's attempt to impugn TN is now comical. They are playing the Big 10 champ, returning NCAA runner-up and consensus top 10 Michigan, yet they drew an easy opponent? Just admit that TN is better than you thought and we can all move on.

The "returning NCAA runner-up" is returning without its NPOY, breakout center and second leading scorer. What is comical is trying to say this MI team is last year's team.

What's also comical is not understanding that basketball is hugely match-up based. TN is very strong inside. Michigan's biggest weakness if size and strength inside. This makes Michigan an excellent match-up for TN.

What's comical is you don't get that I think TN has an excellent chance because of the match-up.

BjwOv9QCcAAw-vM.jpg

I like Dayton tonight. Archie >>>>>> Dawkins. Plus think the Flyers are the way tougher team.

UCLA-Florida will either be a great game or a Florida blowout. Bruins are hot and cold, though generally they've raised their game against the big teams. If they are clicking they can score on anyone -- see Pac-12 title game against defensive juggernaut Arizona

Where the hell is everyone for this opening game? I realize it's 6:30 in Memphis, but this is pretty poor.

I will never understand this. People can eat and drink anytime. You can watch a Sweet Sixteen game once a year.

i don't understand why there are two games on at once...space out four games=more money, right?

Back