• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I’m big on sending individualized TY notes to everyone I interview with. Do y’all ever respond ones you get unless there’s serious interest?

For Company A I met with 6 people this week and got replies from 3.

Then the head of the dept of the Fed agency I interviewed with yesterday just replied with a very nice note. I’d hope she wouldn’t do that at 5:45 on a Fri afternoon if it wasn’t a good sign for me.

Just trying to manifest any vibes I can.
That kind of response from a fed says that they are very interested, but there is some amount of red tape to get through before you get an official offer.

That seems like a good sign to me, hopefully you get good news soon! Is that your top option?
It’s between them and Company A for sure. If Company A comes it at the midpoint of the salary range listed it’d be higher than the minimum for the Fed, but negotiable for sure. After being in the corporate world there’s a lot to say with job security from the Fed, but ultimately the role at Company A would probably interest me more. So a tough call if I get to make it!

Company B would be fine and maybe a slight raise from my previous employer but in third for sure. Though I would absolutely take it if I had to.

It’s between them and Company A for sure. If Company A comes it at the midpoint of the salary range listed it’d be higher than the minimum for the Fed, but negotiable for sure. After being in the corporate world there’s a lot to say with job security from the Fed, but ultimately the role at Company A would probably interest me more. So a tough call if I get to make it!

Company B would be fine and maybe a slight raise from my previous employer but in third for sure. Though I would absolutely take it if I had to.
Fed benefits and stability are nothing to sleep on. Hopefully if they're keen on you they can call with a contingent offer soon (before they begin the whole red-tape/pay equity process, etc.)!

That kind of response from a fed says that they are very interested, but there is some amount of red tape to get through before you get an official offer.
I went back and reread it, and in my letter I said something like “excited to learn next steps in the process” and she said “as you await the next steps, please don’t hesitate
to reach out with any questions.”

Now, obviously she could’ve just been dashing off a quick note but it seems like if I’m not getting the job or anything there wouldn’t be any more next steps. Probably overthinking but just trying to glean any positive vibe nuggets I can.

I went back and reread it, and in my letter I said something like “excited to learn next steps in the process” and she said “as you await the next steps, please don’t hesitate
to reach out with any questions.”

Now, obviously she could’ve just been dashing off a quick note but it seems like if I’m not getting the job or anything there wouldn’t be any more next steps. Probably overthinking but just trying to glean any positive vibe nuggets I can.
Next step could include supervisory approval of pay grade, HR review and approval of the offer, security background checks, and more. Federal jobs have some hurdles.

I’m big on sending individualized TY notes to everyone I interview with. Do y’all ever respond ones you get unless there’s serious interest?

For Company A I met with 6 people this week and got replies from 3.

Then the head of the dept of the Fed agency I interviewed with yesterday just replied with a very nice note. I’d hope she wouldn’t do that at 5:45 on a Fri afternoon if it wasn’t a good sign for me.

Just trying to manifest any vibes I can.

I’d veto sending thank you notes similarly to rejecting out of principle any org that asks you to do more than 2 interviews. Act as if

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in our weekly staffing meeting today. We had someone leave us 18 months ago that was average. We’ve been actively looking for her exact position for 3 months. Our main person in charge of hiring was like “have her send an updated architectural resume showing all her work” and I had to interrupt her and say “we’ve been sitting here for 3 months saying we can’t find people like her, she was here less than 2 years ago and you want her to jump through hoops? Just text her and bring her back”. Both owners immediately agreed.

I may be biased cause I used to bum smokes from her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fed benefits and stability are nothing to sleep on.
This is true. We take a lot of comfort that we could cover 100% of our necessary expenses on my wife's fed salary alone and it would be damn near impossible for her to lose her job absent misconduct. Also, our healthcare id through her job and it's way cheaper than comparable plans through my company.

Feds scheduled calls with my references tomorrow, so hope that's a good sign.

Company A hiring mgr just sent an email saying

The downside is that this can be a long process, but we’re looking to have next steps articulated by the end of this week. We’ll be back in touch shortly.
So I feel like that’s a positive. She could’ve just told me no, right? Hopefully putting an offer together.

Company B said they’d get back in the next week.

Feds scheduled calls with my references tomorrow, so hope that's a good sign.

Company A hiring mgr just sent an email saying

So I feel like that’s a positive. She could’ve just told me no, right? Hopefully putting an offer together.

Company B said they’d get back in the next week.

Feds rarely check references of people they don't intend to hire.

Feds rarely check references of people they don't intend to hire.
Yeah but if you read Reddit it’s a mixed bag of applicants saying yes to that or plenty who say they were checked with no offer. And hiring mgrs post on there either they only check for the top or they check for all finalists (often just to have that done if the top backs out).

I'd be willing to bet living in DC, VA, MD the fed gov "of course the reference check led to my job" % may be higher than the country as a whole.

Applied for literally my old job at the second to last company I worked for. Got an invite to complete a recorded video interview. Never done one before, certainly not the first time I interviewed there. Any tips?

This is hopefully just a backup to my other prospects but I guess good for the ego they didn’t outright reject me.

Federal hiring manager called me to tell me I’m the guy but cautioned it could be until October when I start, which is a no-go for me. But it’s kind of luck of the draw what HR draws up. She was alerting me before checking my references but since I have no offers on the table I’m moving forward with it.

It’s the job I’d want most but can’t not have income that long. Though I guess it’s possible I could try to move a start date up.

Back