• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

Wonder if this will shed some light on BS4L's whereabouts.

Russia investigation to probe “foul corners” of 4Chan and Reddit

A congressional committee probing Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election could broaden its investigation to look at Reddit and 4Chan as potential tools of clandestine activity, according to a congressional aide.

The Hill reported Wednesday that Sen. Mark Warner, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, wants to look at the loosely controlled internet message boards, which became a hub for the so-called alt-right during the election.

The investigation is already probing Facebook and Twitter over claims of Russian meddling.

The controversial TheDonald subreddit, which launched the same day Trump confirmed his candidacy, will be of particular interest.

It has been described as a “safe-harbor” for racists, white-nationalists, and white supremacists to express their views and spread conspiracy theories, Islamophobia, and anti-Semitism.

According to the Economist, “few corners of the internet are fouler.”

The subreddit has gained notoriety for promoting conspiracy theories, including Pizzagate and the Seth Rich murder. The infamous video of Trump body-slamming CNN first appeared there.

https://news.vice.com/story/russia-investigation-to-probe-foul-corners-of-4chan-and-reddit

Twitter finds hundreds of accounts tied to Russian operatives

SAN FRANCISCO — Twitter said Thursday it had shut down 201 accounts that were tied to the same Russian operatives who posted thousands of political ads on Facebook, but the effort frustrated lawmakers who said the problem is far broader than the company appeared to know.

The company said it also found three accounts from the news site RT — which Twitter linked to the Kremlin — that spent $274,100 in ads on its platform in 2016.

Despite the disclosures, Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) questioned whether the company is doing enough to stop Russian operatives from using its platform to spread disinformation and division in American society.

Warner said Twitter’s presentation to a closed door meeting of Senate Intelligence Committee staffers Thursday morning was “deeply disappointing” and “inadequate on almost every level.” Twitter also made a presentation to House Intelligence Committee staffers in the afternoon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...6d061d56efa_story.html?utm_term=.0c2aa48fdbfa

“Deeply disappointing” and “inadequate on almost every level” is exactly how I would describe Twitter’s business model. Twitter’s user growth is buoyed largely by fake/puppet accounts specifically for use in politics. Wow you identified 201 accounts ... only hundreds of thousands to go. Oh and the 201 you identified probably already are on their 4th or 5th iteration beyond that account by now.

“Deeply disappointing” and “inadequate on almost every level” is exactly how I would describe Twitter’s business model. Twitter’s user growth is buoyed largely by fake/puppet accounts specifically for use in politics. Wow you identified 201 accounts ... only hundreds of thousands to go. Oh and the 201 you identified probably already are on their 4th or 5th iteration beyond that account by now.

I find it pretty funny that out of all the "failing businesses" Trump talks about, his primary platform for reaching rubes is hanging on by a thread.

It's going to be sad when it all goes down and moonz desperately claims to have been trolling this whole time.

if the narrative is false why exactly does he need a pardon?

It's been about a month since anything major broke. Well, major by this administration's standards.

I'm guessing Manafort getting indicted is what Ioffe is teasing. Seems like that should be coming soon.

For all of the release wiki has done over the years

Are you daft?

i thought that was false.

he is a lot of trouble (hacking and assaults) in other countries but a pardon doesn't do anything thing for that. i thought most of his issues are the Russian leaks, but not Russian based (he says). so again, why a pardon if showing would exonerate him?

Clearly they did.

Did Manafort Use Trump to Curry Favor With a Putin Ally?

Emails turned over to investigators detail the former campaign chair's efforts to please an oligarch tied to the Kremlin.

"On July 29, a week after Trump accepted the Republican nomination, Manafort received another email from Kilimnik, this one with the subject line “Black Caviar.” “I met today with the guy who gave you your biggest black caviar jar several years ago,” Kilimnik wrote. “We spent about 5 hours talking about his story, and I have several important messages from him to you. He asked me to go and brief you on our conversation. I said I have to run it by you first, but in principle I am prepared to do it, provided that he buys me a ticket. It has to do about the future of his country, and is quite interesting. So, if you are not absolutely against the concept, please let me know which dates/places will work, even next week, and I could come and see you.”

Manafort agreed to the cryptic request, responding “Tuesday is best.”

By this point, the correspondence between Manafort and Kilimnik had grown even more veiled. There was no longer mention of Victor or even V; the reference to Deripaska as OVD had fallen out. Yet there are two clues that may hint at the identity of the person whom Kilimnik describes as “the guy who gave you your biggest black caviar jar.” One is a reference to “his country,” apparently not the same as Kilimnik’s, who is from Ukraine. The second is the reference to jars of black caviar. Investigators believe that to be a reference to payments, The Washington Post reported.

On July 31, Kilimnik and Manafort corresponded again to firm up their plans for a dinner meeting in New York on August 2. “I need about two hours,” Kilimnik wrote to Manafort on July 31, “because it is a long caviar story to tell.”

According to The Washington Post, Manafort and Kilimnik met on August 2 at the Grand Havana Club, a Manhattan cigar club. Kilimnik told the Post that the two “discussed ‘unpaid bills’ and ‘current news.’ But he said the sessions were ‘private visits’ that were ‘in no way related to politics or the presidential campaign in the U.S.’” The emails preceding the meeting, however, suggest they had more than bills and news to discuss. Kilimnik had said he needed to relay a “long caviar story” and “several important messages” from his contact about the “future of his country.”

Just days before Kilimnik and Manafort met for cigars and caviar stories in Manhattan, Trump appeared at a campaign rally in Scranton, Pennsylvania. “Wouldn’t it be a great thing if we could get along with Russia?” he said.

Manafort was ousted from the Trump campaign later that month, following a New York Times report that Manafort’s name was listed in a secret ledger of cash payments from the ruling pro-Russian party in Ukraine, and detailing his failed venture with Deripaska. He submitted his resignation on August 19."

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/541677/

Manafort will go down and won’t be saved (too early and Donald can deflect). I expect he’ll cop a plea to some charges and do 10-20 in federal to avoid a life sentence. Still a long way from that but I suspect he will be indicted in the next three months

The 2018 midterms are coming, and Russia is ready

The Russian government launches a sophisticated covert influence campaign to sway the results of the presidential election.

"An influential Russian businessman suspected of money laundering provides financial support to one of the candidates. Thanks to these efforts, the Russian-backed candidate wins an upset victory. The newly elected president takes office pledging to establish better relations with Moscow but increasingly appears as an erratic and temperamental populist.

Reports surface of past business ties to Russian mobsters. As a result of the media's revelations of Russian financing for his campaign, many fear the newly elected president will be beholden to the Kremlin on critical national security matters such as decisions on the future of the NATO Alliance. A parliamentary commission is therefore established to investigate the president and his campaign's ties to Russia.

Following the inauguration, the president is also accused of leaking classified information to his Russian backers, including information relating to the parliamentary investigation. He is impeached after serving for just over a year.

Sound familiar? This is a description of the election and subsequent impeachment of Lithuanian President Rolandas Paksas in 2004...

http://thehill.com/opinion/national...8-midterms-are-coming-and-russia-is-ready?amp

Last edited:
Back