• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Spring Game Saturday at 2:00)

You mean the guy who hired him? :squint:

Yes. The guy who spent 30 minutes defending [Redacted] last week. Who else in the AD is emphasizing winning besides Clawson? Hopefully our basketball coach has a similar mindset. Clawson is talking about holding the football. [Redacted] was talking about socks.

I sure hope Cameron and Sousa are ready to step into the limelight this spring. Now or never

Finally...........some football.
So glad it's here.
Anxious for reports from from any of you that are lucky enough to attend practices.

Seriously, can anyone remember a coach we've hired whose done everything right in his/her first few months to the degree DC has? He may not win a game - and I believe he'll win quite a few in time - but he really knows how to gather in the fan base. Great interview posted with ESPN. Those of you fortunate to be close enough to get to practices, please keep us posted.

Seriously, can anyone remember a coach we've hired whose done everything right in his/her first few months to the degree DC has? He may not win a game - and I believe he'll win quite a few in time - but he really knows how to gather in the fan base. Great interview posted with ESPN. Those of you fortunate to be close enough to get to practices, please keep us posted.

He's convinced me enough to finally join the DC Club, and give at a level high enough to get chairbacks on the pressbox side. I could easily be wrong, but he's saying and doing all the right things making it less likely he'll fail.

Thanks. I added this to the OP. I'll try to include any media in the OP for the next 5 weeks.

Deacland, I think most coaches except Bz have had a good honeymoon period, but man, Clawson has hit every single thing he needs to do.

He transformed our worst recruiting class in the recruiting website era into the best one.
He developed a Wake Football Twitter presence from scratch.
He didn't do a ton of press but let the results in recruiting speak for themselves.
When he does speak, he's very impressive and focused. I still think about how he responded to the "faith" question in the opening presser. Just great stuff.
He is saying all the right things about Spring ball. Returning players have a good opportunity to show what they can do. The challenge is clear. They have to get on board with the Wake Forest way of doing things.

My main concern when he was hired was his slow starts. I feel like he's learned a lot. He seems to be cutting down the transition process for his players and his staff. Just fantastic. He seems like he's ready to win in Game 1.

My main concern when he was hired was his slow starts. I feel like he's learned a lot. He seems to be cutting down the transition process for his players and his staff. Just fantastic. He seems like he's ready to win in Game 1.

It's very clear that Clawson had a plan when he was hired and so far he's been able to execute the plan quite well. It seems to me that this guy has learned from every job he's had, and all that learning went into what he's doing now. Very impressive.

Q: In addition to the tailbacks, the quarterback position appears up for grabs. How do you view that competition heading into spring?

A: It’s primarily a competition between Tyler Cameron and Kevin Sousa. We signed two guys. Obviously the two guys here have a chance to get all the reps and take advantage, but we don’t have -- we’re just so thin at that position, too. Tyler didn’t play much last year and Kevin actually played another position. You can convert safeties to tailback or move a receiver. It’s hard to take a defensive tackle and make him a quarterback. That’s a harder position to fill from within, and that right there -- I don’t want to say I’m concerned, but the one thing at quarterback, you get a great one through competition and we just don’t have a lot of competition there in the spring.

Wait, uh... What? Kevin Sousa didn't play defensive tackle last year... Right?

He's gotta be mixing him up with Frank Souza.

He's convinced me enough to finally join the DC Club, and give at a level high enough to get chairbacks on the pressbox side. I could easily be wrong, but he's saying and doing all the right things making it less likely he'll fail.

Did that section sell out last year? I didn't think any DC members got locked out of that side.

I think he's just emphasizing they can't take other players from positions like DT to fill the spot from within (for competition purposes). It's not commenting on Sousa specifically.

I think he's just emphasizing they can't take other players from positions like DT to fill the spot from within (for competition purposes). It's not commenting on Sousa specifically.

Okay, that makes more sense, but what other position did Sousa play last year? I don't think he saw any snaps in game action.

Has WF announced the practice schedule leading up to Spring games?

Also, anyone know if Clawson will continue the practice of keeping almost all practices open to the public?

Would love to get reports from Spring practice.

Also, based upon Clawson's QB comments, it sounds as if Patrick Thompson is not coming back.

Did that section sell out last year? I didn't think any DC members got locked out of that side.

When we joined we just told them we wanted to give at the level to be able to purchase the chairbacks. Not sure about previous years.

Has WF announced the practice schedule leading up to Spring games?

Also, anyone know if Clawson will continue the practice of keeping almost all practices open to the public?

Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. To my knowledge, they're open to the public.

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (WSJ - Clawson set to start retraining D...

Haha. I thought he was just making an hyperbolic statement but I think you're right. That's hilarious.

Souza was a TE last year. I'm not sure if he ever saw the field.

When we joined we just told them we wanted to give at the level to be able to purchase the chairbacks. Not sure about previous years.

Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. To my knowledge, they're open to the public.

I believe the Tuesday/Thursday practices are scheduled to start at 5:15.

Back