• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official UEFA Euro 2016 Thread

The main issue for me was that there was no variety in the squad. All of the players were too alike. No real game changers. No real target man strikers. Nothing!

I mean, can we honestly say that Andy Carroll couldn't have given them a different look?

Last edited:
Iceland has what, maybe 400K people? I mean, that's like 2 million fewer than Slovenia and Uruguay. How the eff does a country that small field a team? And another thing they have going for them is they'll still have blue in their flag 2 years from now. England will have a white field with a horizontal and vertical red stripe. Maybe if Wales stays, they can have 2 red stripes and a green dragon on it, and maybe they could get Bale to play for them. They may as well put a picture of Khaleesi on that flag with the dragon. Better yet a naked picture of Khaleesi, and it would actually be a good flag.

Iceland has what, maybe 400K people? I mean, that's like 2 million fewer than Slovenia and Uruguay. How the eff does a country that small field a team? And another thing they have going for them is they'll still have blue in their flag 2 years from now. England will have a white field with a horizontal and vertical red stripe. Maybe if Wales stays, they can have 2 red stripes and a green dragon on it, and maybe they could get Bale to play for them. They may as well put a picture of Khaleesi on that flag with the dragon. Better yet a naked picture of Khaleesi, and it would actually be a good flag.

you are trying too hard to be funny

Cl-z5iXWIAIFdZe.jpg

That paragraph ended in a different postal code than I expected. Impressive to start on Iceland's size, cruise by Slovenia and Uruguay for a quick look-see, linger on the specifics of flags for those two or three of us who are flag-o-philes, and then smash that mothafucking paragraph square in the chest with some unreferenced Game of Thrones truth bombs. Nice.

Getting back to Iceland - yes, very small. I think they have open tryouts and just kick off everyone under 20 or over 35, and then kick out everyone with a body fat count higher than 8% and voila - your Iceland side.

15 years ago Iceland decided to spend a ton of money on soccer development. They built 150 indoor practice fields and 30 or so full size state of the art indoor pitches. They also have over 600 licensed youth coaches.

With global warming, Iceland is poised to become the next Spain.

That paragraph ended in a different postal code than I expected. Impressive to start on Iceland's size, cruise by Slovenia and Uruguay for a quick look-see, linger on the specifics of flags for those two or three of us who are flag-o-philes, and then smash that mothafucking paragraph square in the chest with some unreferenced Game of Thrones truth bombs. Nice.

Getting back to Iceland - yes, very small. I think they have open tryouts and just kick off everyone under 20 or over 35, and then kick out everyone with a body fat count higher than 8% and voila - your Iceland side.

Yeah, my apologies to you and dv7 for my strange rant. I'm really pissed at England after last week, and I seriously will, as a flag-o-phile, miss the Union Jack because it's probably the coolest flag in the world. So I really enjoyed England going down to that strange group of clappers yesterday. That said, I think they have some exciting young players and could really be a power if they had better managing.

"I don't really know what I'm doing here. Someone said I should be"
- Roy Hodgson

Wow.

This press conference is pure Hodgson. So amazing. This was what listening to him for six months was like, what a fraud.

Saw a quote on twitter apparently from someone that played for Hodgson at West Brom who said that Hodgson makes bad players average but also makes good players average. That's not exactly the kind of coach you want in charge if you're a club or country seeking to actually win trophies.

Last edited:
It was never a good hire. Had some experience coaching int'l teams but rarely on a big stage, only major tourney he managed in was 22 years ago in the U.S. with the Switz.

And not sure why they brought him back after 2014 either

15 years ago Iceland decided to spend a ton of money on soccer development. They built 150 indoor practice fields and 30 or so full size state of the art indoor pitches. They also have over 600 licensed youth coaches.

If this earns you a quarterfinal berth in UEFA then the US must have won the last 5 world cups.

Roy needed to go and could have done a much better job. At some point though, the players for England need to show up. A lot of marginal, flat outings over the years. And even when they seem to run play and dominate the ball, they often struggle to finish.

Back