• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official UEFA Euro 2016 Thread

latest

Too many injuries and missed match from yellow cards for the Krauts. This was only the second time in my life I have pulled for the Germans.

Too many injuries and missed match from yellow cards for the Krauts. This was only the second time in my life I have pulled for the Germans.

I can only assume the first time was in Beerfest. The American Wolfhouses were such pussies.

ECO-in-Beerfest-eric-christian-olsen-10477847-1400-930.jpg

I thought he did alright for his first action of the tournament. Shaky in the first 5-10 minutes, much like the German team, a couple of sloppy giveaways, but settled down and was all over the field -- very active. Played on the right side of a midfield three, but pushed up far when Özil drifted in, becoming an extra attacker around the penalty area, so more advanced than he has played for Liverpool. Had a hand in two of Germany's best chances in the first half: a good cross to Müller which he didn't connect well with and a little semi-mishit left footed shot that Lloris saved well.

France was pretty passive throughout, and German had more bodies in midfield, but Pogba and Matuidi were pretty much nullified and Can had a lot to do with that. Kroos did as well, of course, as he is pretty much the perfect central midfielder, but Emre held his own. Schweinsteiger dropped very deep. I thought Özil and Kroos had two of the best performances of the entire tournament, but that's how soccer goes -- a crazy handball and it changes everything.

Can wasn't as sharp the second half, but I thought he was a little unlucky to get the hook rather than Schweinsteiger or Müller, but I completely understand why you leave those two on.

Last edited:
I thought he did alright for his first action of the tournament. Shaky in the first 5-10 minutes, much like the German team, a couple of sloppy giveaways, but settled down and was all over the field -- very active. Played on the right side of a midfield three, but pushed up far when Özil drifted in, becoming an extra attacker around the penalty area, so more advanced than he has played for Liverpool. Had a hand in two of Germany's best chances in the first half: a good cross to Müller which he didn't connect well with and a little semi-mishit left footed shot that Lloris saved well.

France was pretty passive throughout, and German had more bodies in midfield, but Pogba and Matuidi were pretty much nullified and Can had a lot to do with that. Kroos did as well, of course, as he is pretty much the perfect central midfielder, but Emre held his own. Schweinsteiger dropped very deep. I thought Özil and Kroos had two of the best performances of the entire tournament, but that's how soccer goes -- a crazy handball and it changes everything.

Can wasn't as sharp the second half, but I thought he was a little unlucky to get the hook rather than Schweinsteiger or Müller, but I completely understand why you leave those two on.

Thanks for the break down. Can's ability to play at a consistently high level is critical to Liverpool's success this year, perhaps as much as any player on Liverpool's roster.

Schweinsteiger got subbed off a ten minutes later.

Yeah, after France's 2nd goal, though. I think he should have been pulled even earlier (or not started). But Germany had it on lockdown for the most part, so hard to criticize too much -- just a couple of individual mistakes.

This is pretty interesting, I think. Had Lewandowski not been gassed, and Milik less wasteful, Poland would have been in business. Kind of pissed both they and Croatia went out when they did.

This is pretty interesting, I think. Had Lewandowski not been gassed, and Milik less wasteful, Poland would have been in business. Kind of pissed both they and Croatia went out when they did.

Archduke Milik screwed the Poles hard more than a few times..

If that late Iceland goal hadn't gone in vs. Austria I think we're looking at a France-Croatia final.

That woulda been cool

True that it's tough to be for one team or the other, but I think the hosts versus maybe the world's best player looking for his first trophy with the national team is a pretty good storyline. If Portugal wins Ronaldo stakes an even greater claim to best ever -- certainly best European player ever anyway, I think. I don't particularly enjoy how Portugal have played, but the continued emergence of Renato is compelling, and Griezmann and Pogba have an opportunity to cement their status as the next big things, after being benched early on.

Probs will be 0-0 and go to penalties though and be the worst Euros in over 20 years.

3-2 France after 90

They score early and force an open game which leads to goals.

Back