• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake vs. UTEP Game Thread

Game was on ESPN3. At 2pm (listed start time) there was a TO with about 10 min to go. Screen said, 'your game has ended'. No more video. After 1000's of Wake fans contacted ESPN, they got the video back up with 4 minutes left in the half. Oddly there were zero commercials at any of the breaks for the rest of the game. The first 10 min were in the replay section while the issue was going on. When the game came back on, that was no longer in the replay section. I'm guessing they rigged it up so the video would go through but it was not a normal situation.

$$$$$$$$

Everybody knows 130 PM on a Friday is the big money maker

Don't want to overhype...but Wake needs wins against nationally recognized ponents. In football, we played Nebraska, Notre Dame for example. We played well but lost. When we shut out FSU, it wasn't because we were good but FSU was on the decline. Last year's win against IU was big, but again the press was more about their shortcomings rather than our improvement. It would be key to beat n Villanova tomorrow outright - no moral x victories -to show we are vastly improved and worthy of notice

What's up with the defending champion playing these early ass games

I think, most tournaments, put the favorites in a position to get the most rest/prep possible. #1 seed you get the early games.

The problem is they are playing tournaments the week before Thanksgiving when everyone is working.

Success tonight, I think most of the season will depend on 3 point shooting. The good thing is we have more good 3 point shooters so one can be off and the others can pick up the slack. I really liked how we went inside during the 2nd half. As the commentator said often teams that shoot lights out in the first half from 3 point range, fall in love and the shots don't fall in the second half. Was smart move to feed John in the 2nd half. Good coaching and good execution

Success tonight, I think most of the season will depend on 3 point shooting. The good thing is we have more good 3 point shooters so one can be off and the others can pick up the slack. I really liked how we went inside during the 2nd half. As the commentator said often teams that shoot lights out in the first half from 3 point range, fall in love and the shots don't fall in the second half. Was smart move to feed John in the 2nd half. Good coaching and good execution

Certainly the ray of hope we're seeing for this season is that teams that can shoot the ball well have a chance at beating about anybody and we haven't had that in a long while.

Last edited:
Nearly blew my mind when I saw some zone yesterday: 2-3 and 1-3-1.

Zone well-played can mask some defensive shortcomings.

Defense will be at the top of the list for a win today against VU.

Collins at the top of the 1-3-1? Whoa.

Biggest problem with putting Collins at the top of the zone is that it makes rebounding really hard in a formation that is already hard to board out of.

It actually give JC a clear path to mid-range rebounds and cuts off top of the key 3s.

I just hope Nova shoots no better than 35% from three. I think we win if we can hold them to less than that. Here's to perimeter defense today, especially with the advantages we have inside.

There is literally no argument in favor of a 1-3-1 for rebounding purposes. It's already a challenge to board out of a 1-3-1 and taking your best rebounder out of the post makes it even harder. Sure, there are other advantages, but you're giving up a ton on the glass.

I didn't make an "argument" for the 1-3-1 basis. What I posted was an actual impact of the 1-3-1.

Another possibility of the 1-3-1 is that the guy on top can get out on the break easier.

No zone provides better rebounding than man-to-man. It's harder to find someone to box out.

Back