• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

? on R. Washington and D. Mitchell

DashKid

Reaction score
So I didn't see another link on this and i didn't scroll thru 15 pages of game thread last night..........

but i noticed that despite being up 30+ we never put in Washington or Mitchell. Seemed like the perfect game for them to get a solid 5-6 minutes of playing time against legit players. Are we trying to squeeze out a redshirt for them now? I remember Washington entering a game but not Mitchell. I don't exactly know what the rules are anymore with making an appearance and being able to redshirt.

Mitchell and Washington are in the CBS box score. I don't remember Mitchell playing either.

THey are not in the Wake Forest official boxscore. I watched the whole game and they didn't play. We were up almost 30 with 8 minutes to go. Them not playing has to mean something.

THey are not in the Wake Forest official boxscore. I watched the whole game and they didn't play. We were up almost 30 with 8 minutes to go. Them not playing has to mean something.

Also considering Sam is a foul machine yet saw some minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is they haven't earned playing time in practice. Manning played rotation guys until about 2 minutes left despite being up 30+. He obviously wants to give our top 10 guys as much run together as possible. If they had outworked the walk-ons in practice I imagine they would have been out there.

I get giving the top 10 guys extra run up until around 3 minutes. Just don't understand not playing these 2 guys for at least a few minutes before giving the walk-ons the last minute. If I was the player or their family I would be embarrassed/insulted that I can't even get in for a single second in a 30 point blow out. Is this some sort of Manning motivational tactic? Its definitely a little weird. Hard for me to believe that these guys effort in practice is so shitty they can't see the floor. Conceivably, they could both see a total of <5 minutes of game action the entire year. If Manning planned to do that, he should have redshirted them. That at least gives us an option of keeping them an additional year or letting them grad transfer. Perhaps someone has a better explanation?

OP has a legit question. In football, wasn't it that you can claim a redshirt if you don't play in a certain % of plays or games. Is it the same for basketball?

RWash has typically been one of the freshmen to get spot minutes behind Chill, and now SJM, before. Not getting in last night was a bit of a surprise then.

The game was decided with more than 8 minutes left. Was surprised that Woods played 36 minutes and Crawford 35 in a 30 point win. Manning clearly decided that no matter the margin Washington and Mitchell were not playing. Would love to know the back story.

Remember when we were up 32-8 against Coastal Carolina and put in Richard Washington? 8 minutes later it was a 4 point game... (Not saying it was his fault, the subs just threw off the team chemistry and we struggled to recover)

I like that Manning doesn't value garbage minutes. Give those to the walk-ons. Earn real minutes in practice. Legit scholarship players shouldn't give a shit about 90 seconds of floor time against opposing walk-ons. Good teams have decent scholarship players that ride the bench, we're just overthinking it because we're used to being terrible.

Remember when we were up 32-8 against Coastal Carolina and put in Richard Washington? 8 minutes later it was a 4 point game... (Not saying it was his fault, the subs just threw off the team chemistry and we struggled to recover)

I like that Manning doesn't value garbage minutes. Give those to the walk-ons. Earn real minutes in practice. Legit scholarship players shouldn't give a shit about 90 seconds of floor time against opposing walk-ons. Good teams have decent scholarship players that ride the bench, we're just overthinking it because we're used to being terrible.

Agreed - I didn't read into the lack of minutes as "something is up with those guys" at all.

Mitchell has played 3 minutes the entire year--he may not play a single minute the rest of the year. Washington a total of 13 minutes. They either 1) will develop into solid upperclassman or 2) will never crack rotation and transfer. Not sure I understand the rationale for wasting a year of a player's career. Agree that all teams have scholarship players that "ride the bench" but typically that means they at least get a few minutes here and there when up by 20+ at end of game.

OP has a legit question. In football, wasn't it that you can claim a redshirt if you don't play in a certain % of plays or games. Is it the same for basketball?

RWash has typically been one of the freshmen to get spot minutes behind Chill, and now SJM, before. Not getting in last night was a bit of a surprise then.

I believe it is 25% of action to ask for a medical redshirt so that is 3 games in football and I would assume no more than 8 games in basketball based on normal regular season numbers. But if somebody is just going to redshirt without getting hurt, they can't play at all and it is automatically granted. Medical redshirts are asked for at the end of the normal eligibility of 4 years [and sometimes but rarely after 5 years].

I believe it is 25% of action to ask for a medical redshirt so that is 3 games in football and I would assume no more than 8 games in basketball based on normal regular season numbers. But if somebody is just going to redshirt without getting hurt, they can't play at all and it is automatically granted. Medical redshirts are asked for at the end of the normal eligibility of 4 years [and sometimes but rarely after 5 years].

So I guess they are only covered if they suffer a significant injury. But then again, if you have a bad injury in February does that mean you get a medical redshirt or does the injury have to occur at a time in the season (ex. Nov or Dec) that knocks you out for most of the season)?

--------------
Mitchell just seems like a guy who is years away but has potential based on athleticism. It just seems like if they believed in his future they should have redshirted him. To someone else's point, he is not getting in the rest of the year. There will not be any 30pt blowouts in the ACC (to the good at least).

Washington - we do need a backup small forward and can he really be any worse than McClinton? I have to imagine that Washington can at least make a shot so that puts him ahead of McClinton on offense. I'm sure he is behind on defense and knowing the system but it just seems a better investment to play him vs. McClinton.

RW was a project from the get go based primarily upon a lack of physicality in his game. It never surprises me when a player transfers because hey are sitting the bench but I think RW becomes a nice college player. But you are going to have to wait until his junior year to get it out of him. I don't n is enough about Mitchell to make an educated guess.

We need a backup SF. If Wash was ready, he would play.

I used to be against redshirting in basketball because it tied up a scholarship for 5 years. Now I'm for it because it gives kids the freedom to start their post-grad work at another institution or they can still stay like Matt Williams did at UCF.

Wisconsin basketball has used red-shirting successfully for years. Two of its current starters, Ethan Happ (who is all-Big 10, and may have an NBA future) and Zak Schowalter both redshirted.

RW was a project from the get go based primarily upon a lack of physicality in his game. It never surprises me when a player transfers because hey are sitting the bench but I think RW becomes a nice college player. But you are going to have to wait until his junior year to get it out of him. I don't n is enough about Mitchell to make an educated guess.

I thought Mitchell was the bigger project of the two and the one with the much lower ranking. Not that RW was high either but i thought he was at least in or near top 150. I agree that it might be year 3 before he produces but with Arians graduating, McClinton possibly moving on and Van Horn graduating it seems a backup SF is really needed so court time would do him so good. No one seemed to think SJM was ready either AND we have Doral as a capable backup yet SJM has gotten quite a few minutes.

I guess at the end of the day they just aren't anywhere near ready.

Back