• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paid Basketball League to Compete with NCAA?

How is he going to get into NBA arenas competing with the NCAA and NBA?

Last edited:
Does he even have the money to do this? the operation expenses alone seem far more than the baller brands worth.

and the way this guy carries himself, i dont see how a smart individual would want to partner with him...

There is no way his league will be playing in NBA stadiums. I expect something closer to D League, which doesn’t bring in big crowds. If that, the people in his league would be essentially unknowns.

Does he even have the money to do this? the operation expenses alone seem far more than the baller brands worth.

and the way this guy carries himself, i dont see how a smart individual would want to partner with him...

I don't think it will actually happen - but it's not hard to think that there would be some investors interested in the idea. Also, a combination of Lavar Ball and (assuming) top high school prospects playing basketball in a "pre-pro" league would almost certainly get a TV deal.

If this doesn't work in NYC, LA, Atlanta...........maybe he can start a league in Lithuania

How is this league going to generate revenue when its star attractions are unknown HS kids who haven't been hyped up yet by the college basketball media?

Outside of the occasional Lebron, no HS kid has the name recognition needed to regularly sell more than a handful of tickets.

If this doesn't work in NYC, LA, Atlanta...........maybe he can start a league in Lithuania

A touring version of this isn't a half bad concept, rather than a full league. Take a bunch of traveling teams around Europe and Asia to generate the revenue and have them compete against pro teams, etc.

I just don't see anyway that this is successful. The things that college basketball has going for it are:

1. March Madness
2. Built in rooting interests, rivalries and fan engagement because people care about their universities

3. Seeing NBA players before they are NBA players.

3 on it's own is not much of a draw. Best case scenario is that this continues to put pressure on NCAA to pay athletes.

So it'll be like an AAU game except without all the wasted focus on fundamentals and defense, and with none of the players being recruited by your favorite school. Take my money!

I'm sure a true visionary like Lavar Ball is dead set on making this a mainstay product for decades to come.

1) Will love to see the fights that break out when LaVar ranks the players 1-80 which determines how much they get paid
2) Good luck getting 80 players

I don't think it will actually happen - but it's not hard to think that there would be some investors interested in the idea. Also, a combination of Lavar Ball and (assuming) top high school prospects playing basketball in a "pre-pro" league would almost certainly get a TV deal.

There is so much garbage on TV, I don't see how this doesn't get a TV deal

Of course he doesn't have the money. Dude probably has a negative net worth right now.

Virtually no one knows these guys. The instant they are eligible for the NBA they will leave. Fans will have no loyalty to players or teams.

Top players will still go to college as it looks much better.

I'm not so down on it as an idea. Some kids will prefer a paycheck to having to go to class and make grades. There won't be any academic standards/ qualifying scores to adhere to. It's an alternative to the idea to going to Europe to play (like Brandon Jennings) or maybe even JUCO for some. I guess potentially, he could have kids play that are younger than 18 too. Not sure how many kids he could get in this league and obviously huge questions exist about arenas, coaches, fans, etc.

Back