• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Physician screwing over my handicapped friend.

Has he tried doing anything else for his pain besides pills and weed?

i saw someone mention acupuncture and physical therapy earlier, and he would be willing to try those but the cost is too high and his insurance only covers certain types of therapy.

if he got a marijuana prescription and smoked a strain bred for medicinal use rather than recreational use (so, lower in THC) he might have better results.

will look into that. thanks

worked in a grocery store in college, yes sir. i'd rather pay for disabled people's pain meds than black people's caddy payments. maybe some low income white people take advantage of the system but anyone who has worked in a store that accepts food stamps and pays attention to what's going on will tell you the same thing.

Sure, people who are disabled by no fault of their own.

But not for pill popping alcoholics who very well could have killed others because of their reckless behavior.

i saw someone mention acupuncture and physical therapy earlier, and he would be willing to try those but the cost is too high and his insurance only covers certain types of therapy.

What are the costs compared to the co-pay for a hardcore controlled substance like oxy?

Has he gotten involved in any kind of SCI support group? They would be a big help to let him know about resources available to help pay for treatment and therapies.

http://www.spinalcord.org/nscia-sup...inal-cord-injury-support-group-winston-salem/

Exercise also helps a lot with pain. If he's interested, this is a wheelchair sports program in the Triangle that does a lot of outreach.

http://www.bridge2sports.org/

Have you considered the possibility that maybe a family member or friend called the doctor to request that he not be prescribed any super-addictive narcotics due to his prior substance-abuse issues?

Have you considered the possibility that your friend describing his excruciating pain is in fact him just jonesing for his next buzz and hopes that you'll go score some oxy for him? Addiction has a way of turning good honest people into very believeable liars.

Sure, people who are disabled by no fault of their own.

But not for pill popping alcoholics who very well could have killed others because of their reckless behavior.

i respect that viewpoint. i get lost in my own bias in this situation unfortunately and i've yet to even look at it that way.

worked in a grocery store in college, yes sir. i'd rather pay for disabled people's pain meds than black people's caddy payments. maybe some low income white people take advantage of the system but anyone who has worked in a store that accepts food stamps and pays attention to what's going on will tell you the same thing.

Just to clarify, you understand my "really" was in response to you calling out one particular demographic group of the U.S. for apparently "gaming" the system, right? I mean, it's great that you recognize that "maybe some low income white people take advantage" (okay, let's be honest, do you really think it is "maybe"?)

Nevertheless, I get it - you are frustrated that your friend, who was arguably irresponsible to begin with, is having difficulty in managing his pain as the result of decisions he made... but it really appears (hence a new "really") that your implied solution is that the Government should step in and provide citizens with oxycontin, oxycodone, etc. instead of giving foodstamps to the lazy blacks gaming the system.

I digress, seems like BBD has some good suggestions, so I'll leave it at that.

What are the costs compared to the co-pay for a hardcore controlled substance like oxy?

Has he gotten involved in any kind of SCI support group? They would be a big help to let him know about resources available to help pay for treatment and therapies.

http://www.spinalcord.org/nscia-sup...inal-cord-injury-support-group-winston-salem/

Exercise also helps a lot with pain. If he's interested, this is a wheelchair sports program in the Triangle that does a lot of outreach.

http://www.bridge2sports.org/

thanks man, will look into both.

Just to clarify, you understand my "really" was in response to you calling out one particular demographic group of the U.S. for apparently "gaming" the system, right? I mean, it's great that you recognize that "maybe some low income white people take advantage" (okay, let's be honest, do you really think it is "maybe"?)

Nevertheless, I get it - you are frustrated that your friend, who was arguably irresponsible to begin with, is having difficulty in managing his pain as the result of decisions he made... but it really appears (hence a new "really") that your implied solution is that the Government should step in and provide citizens with oxycontin, oxycodone, etc. instead of giving foodstamps to the lazy blacks gaming the system.

I digress, seems like BBD has some good suggestions, so I'll leave it at that.

yeah, i see where i came off like a twat when i said that. and i see where everyone is coming from on the whole government paying for people to use heavy narcotics. just hard to look at this situation from a non biased perspective, and also keep my emotions in check when discussing.

Clearly there is something more to the doctor's decision than knowing your buddy had pot in his system at the time of the wreck.

Stupid decision he made that night, but I hope he gets help for his pain, whether it's from a different doctor, or some other method.

would PM bobknightfan for advice on the blacks

I also hear they have multiple children out of wedlock and are absentee parents FWIW

Give him whatever drugs he wants. Condemning a paralyzed man to a life of pain because there's a chance he MIGHT end up a drug addict is insane and heartless.

Back