• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Cruising Thread

If you’re going to do Norwegion, then I would seriously suggest looking into the Haven. Sometimes the close quarters of thousands of people can get to you, so it’s nice to have a level that is spacious and away from the crowds. None of the fighting for a chair at the pool either. Think of it as the concierge level at Marriott.

Yeah always wanted to do a Tauck river cruise a travel company second to none. We were considering Prague to Budapest but the damn river has been so dry all we heard were they were busing people around to avoid the dry areas.

My parents did a Viking cruise in their late 60s and were the youngest people on the boat.

Did they enjoy the cruise? Old people don’t bother us. Hell, we periodically go on vacations with friends, others times alone. If alone, we don’t go to socialize. I’d rather see some 80 year old guy asleep in his soup than a screaming 6 year having a shit fit on a chair or table next to me. But hey, that’s me. Plus, while not as old as dirt, I’m no youngster.

Last edited:
Did they enjoy the cruise? Old people don’t bother us. Hell, we periodically go on vacations with friends, others times alone. If alone, we don’t go to socialize. I’d rather see some 80 year old guy asleep in his soup than a screaming 6 year having a shit fit on a chair or table next to me. But hey, that’s me. Plus, while not as old as dirt, I’m no youngster.
Look up a YouTuber named Emma Cruises. She is a 30-something that did a river cruise and really surprised us. We are in our 40s, but definitely want to do one.

Seems like a lot of interest in a European River Cruise. My college roommate's wife is a travel agent who has booked a cruise for us. I can give you guys her info if you want to look into one. 1st ever Pit Group Cruise?

If you're looking for a European river cruise, AmaWaterways is excellent across the board. They cover the Dutch waterways, Rhine, Danube, Douro and three sections of France. If anyone is interested in the Nile or the Galapagos I'm happy to give some recs as well.

We discovered Backroads this past year and very much enjoyed the itinerary and level of customer service. Consider them a cruise on land, although they do offer some cruise options. All meals, lodging and daily activities taken care of.

Also echo the Haven suggestion for Norwegian. I will never do a cruise without a Haven-style option.

Other great content creators for cruising are...

Sean and Stef -- tho Sean lost his life to cancer about 18 months ago, but they did the best ship tours out there, IMO.
Emma Cruises -- which tsy mentioned. Love her style and she's very fair and balanced.
Griff and Alyssa -- love Griff. Alyssa can be great. Can be...not so great. (personal opinion) But these two do wonderful cruise content.
Josh Hocum - complete douche. but in a way that you kinda like him? It's weird. He's weird. Not my favorite but I'll watch his content somewhat regularly.
La Lida Loca - fluffy cruiser extroidinaires. I love Tony but he's starting to love himself as much. I recommend their previous stuff vs new stuff.

RE: Haven on NCL. no doubt it is spectacular. Buttttttt...
Haven on NCL is crazy expensive vs the reg cruise fare on their ships.
MSC Yacht Club, for my money, is a MUCH BETTER option.
Plus, Haven gives you the "drink package" but then you have to pay tips on it.... and the mini-bar isn't included. No tips to pay and mini-bar included in MSC Yacht Club.

It's a better value.

RE: Haven on NCL. no doubt it is spectacular. Buttttttt...
Haven on NCL is crazy expensive vs the reg cruise fare on their ships.
MSC Yacht Club, for my money, is a MUCH BETTER option.
Plus, Haven gives you the "drink package" but then you have to pay tips on it.... and the mini-bar isn't included. No tips to pay and mini-bar included in MSC Yacht Club.

It's a better value.

I'll never sail MSC again. Worst customer service ever. A year later I am still fighting with them over a refund they owe me.

Other great content creators for cruising are...

Sean and Stef -- tho Sean lost his life to cancer about 18 months ago, but they did the best ship tours out there, IMO.
Emma Cruises -- which tsy mentioned. Love her style and she's very fair and balanced.
Griff and Alyssa -- love Griff. Alyssa can be great. Can be...not so great. (personal opinion) But these two do wonderful cruise content.
Josh Hocum - complete douche. but in a way that you kinda like him? It's weird. He's weird. Not my favorite but I'll watch his content somewhat regularly.
La Lida Loca - fluffy cruiser extroidinaires. I love Tony but he's starting to love himself as much. I recommend their previous stuff vs new stuff.
Just watched my first Sean and Stef video. Holy hell, what a gut punch. I'm glad they got to take so many adventures and spend so much quality time together.

Whats the cruise line where you have assigned seating in the dining hall all week and they fill your table with other people so you spend all week have dinner with George and Barb from Missouri, and your option is early dinner at 5 or late dinner at 8. Was that RC or MSC?

Whats the cruise line where you have assigned seating in the dining hall all week and they fill your table with other people so you spend all week have dinner with George and Barb from Missouri, and your option is early dinner at 5 or late dinner at 8. Was that RC or MSC?
That happened to us on a Holland America Alaskan cruise. Luckily, one of the "Barbs" was pretty hot and friendly.

Thanks, great guy he did taxidermy. The cruise was his present to his wife after hunting season.

It's that way on RC at the moment, but they do have a mytime dining option. You can rsvp for a specific time, or just show up and wait in line until a table is ready.

That's all the non-premier cruise lines.

Personally I like meeting new people that way. They do a good job of seating other families with kids with us, or when I cruise solo I've been grouped with other solo cruisers.

Bougie post coming. On RC, I prefer Coastal Kitchen, their suite only specialty restaurant. If the ship is older or smaller and CK is not an option, I prefer the MDR. We only hit up the buffet if the other options aren't available. However, the buffet on RC has some amazing Indian food.

Back