• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Please do not share banner company contact info with the media

I think the devotion of our AD, misguided or not, to guys he's hired, in general, is a good thing. It shows whoever is next in line, and there will always be a next in line, that at Wake Forest, we don't make impulse decisions. We give you every opportunity in the world to succeed with completely your recruits and your system. and then if you do not succeed, we make a change.

Dino says hello.

Dino says hello.

As I stated later, it is ignorant for anyone to think they have the whole story about why he was fired. Should our AD be more transparent? maybe. But I think his first interest is protecting the university, something he was possibly doing, both with the firing, and reasoning for the firing.

nothing to see here. all hail wellman. the punter says so.

To tell us? You were the dumbass who put the info out there for the media.

you little PUNKS. why are you jerks shooting the proverb messenger?? Look, we made mistakes....we admit that! should we have posted a picture with the banner company name in it?? obviously no. Should we have posted entire emails with privacy disclosures included from the banner company? probably not....should we have posted the sales rep name, address and contact info in multiple places?? look NOBODY is saying that any of that was a good idea at the time,, what we are saying is please delete all of that and forget it please, because peoples livinghood is at risk here!

i don't understand why some of you live to fight internet warrior fights, but that CRAP is just that, CRAP. it is bullcrap and it needs to stop.

very constructive.

To be fair, this whole thing has been an exercise in circling the wagons. Even those on the "inside" have admitted as much here on the boards and to some of us privately. You can say what you want about Wellman being a "good father", but I've heard from enough people who give enough money to know, without a doubt, that he has an ego larger than his already inflated paycheck. I also know that the culture BS was a plan B and that Dino has been thrown under the bus.

Being somewhat of an "insider" yourself just lumps you in with the bullshit, whether fair or not. Continuing to hint at the Dino mess as if it's an explanation for this hell hole we're in now doesn't help. The view from the outside, where most of us reside, is in effect reality, whether the insiders like it or not. And there's been a complete lack of willingness from Wellman to admit what a shit show it looks like...if he had come out of the gate from day 1 saying "this looks awful, bad, horrible, but trust me, we're on the right track", there would still be unrest but it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Instead, he said and continued to say the worst possible things..."Couldn't be happier, etc, etc". Irreparable damage has been done in some cases, and is continuing to be done when there are obvious solutions.

Last edited:
I guess without knowing fully what went on with Dino's teams, versus Bzzdelik's teams, character, recruiting violations?, etc., its hard for me to think I know when a "reasonable period of time" is. I personally would love to see a new leader. However, I think its ignorant for me to think I know better than Wellman, seeing as he knows the whole story and I don't. And I think its childish to put up banners and walk around with pitchforks till I get my way. I know Mr. Wellman and think he's an awesome guy, husband, and father. I believe that carries over to his job, work ethic, and love for the university. He's picked some great coaches across all our athletic programs, and I am proud to support whoever is leading our teams.

We had some 2-3 great wins last year in basketball. Winning a game, pretty dominantly, against a good Football team in NC State, after losing by 45 says a lot about our team's character, something that may come from our coaches. I don't see it as bad as everyone else either, I suppose.

You almost got every AD talking point into one post. Congrats!

You almost got every AD talking point into one post. Congrats!

Bingo. It's groupthink. Circling the wagons. I get it, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out. The ONLY people I've heard defend the athletic department lately are past athletes, coaches, big time donors who get off on the access, and certain "reporters" or "recruiting analysts" who need access to continue with their jobs. Well, and Jaybone. Even the biggest sunshine brigaders I know have gone silent in their support now.

To be fair, this whole thing has been an exercise in circling the wagons. Even those on the "inside" have admitted as much here on the boards and to some of us privately. You can say what you want about Wellman being a "good father", but I've heard from enough people who give enough money to know, without a doubt, that he has an ego larger than his already inflated paycheck. Being somewhat of an "insider" yourself just lumps you in with the bullshit, whether fair or not. The view from the outside, where most of us reside, is in effect reality, whether the insiders like it or not. And there's been a complete lack of willingness from Wellman to admit what a shit show it looks like...if he had come out of the gate from day 1 saying "this looks awful, bad, horrible, but trust me, we're on the right track", there would still be unrest but it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Instead, he said and continued to say the worst possible things..."Couldn't be happier, etc, etc". Irreparable damage has been done in some cases, and is continuing to be done when there are obvious solutions.

I understand what you are saying. And it definitely makes sense. I don't know the details.

I just think as a fan, which I am now, not an insider, I'm questioning the means by which some are trying to accomplish getting a coach fired. I think many take whatever happens with Wake Forest WAY too personally. There is way too much negativity around our program. What's the next step after we oust everyone who doesn't run the right scheme on offense? Or win 5 less games than he should? No intelligent coach in their right mind would take any job at Wake with This boards effort to make the "athletic department scared shitless".

Bingo. It's groupthink. Circling the wagons. I get it, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out. The ONLY people I've heard defend the athletic department lately are past athletes, coaches, big time donors who get off on the access, and certain "reporters" or "recruiting analysts" who need access to continue with their jobs. Well, and Jaybone. Even the biggest sunshine brigaders I know have gone silent in their support now.

I haven't seen Mr Wellman in 5 years, and I haven't talked to coach Grobe in 3. Never met [Redacted]. Don't understand the Groupthink, but it definitely doesn't apply to my opinions.

I understand what you are saying. And it definitely makes sense. I don't know the details.

I just think as a fan, which I am now, not an insider, I'm questioning the means by which some are trying to accomplish getting a coach fired. I think many take whatever happens with Wake Forest WAY too personally. There is way too much negativity around our program. What's the next step after we oust everyone who doesn't run the right scheme on offense? Or win 5 less games than he should? No intelligent coach in their right mind would take any job at Wake with This boards effort to make the "athletic department scared shitless".

Reductio ad absurdum

No one is calling for anyone to be fired because of one bad season. It's 3+ years of terrible results with no acknowledgement of a problem.

I haven't seen Mr Wellman in 5 years, and I haven't talked to coach Grobe in 3. Never met [Redacted]. Don't understand the Groupthink, but it definitely doesn't apply to my opinions.

Funny how you echo every excuse spewed by the AD. I guess you aren't quite the outsider your think you are.

I guess without knowing fully what went on with Dino's teams, versus Bzzdelik's teams, character, recruiting violations?, etc., its hard for me to think I know when a "reasonable period of time" is. I personally would love to see a new leader. However, I think its ignorant for me to think I know better than Wellman, seeing as he knows the whole story and I don't. And I think its childish to put up banners and walk around with pitchforks till I get my way. I know Mr. Wellman and think he's an awesome guy, husband, and father. I believe that carries over to his job, work ethic, and love for the university. He's picked some great coaches across all our athletic programs, and I am proud to support whoever is leading our teams.

We had some 2-3 great wins last year in basketball. Winning a game, pretty dominantly, against a good Football team in NC State, after losing by 45 says a lot about our team's character, something that may come from our coaches. I don't see it as bad as everyone else either, I suppose.

994174d1353361896-head-count-whos-2wd-buggy-2013-koolaid-man-oh-yeah.jpg

Funny how you echo every excuse spewed by the AD. I guess you aren't quite the outsider your think you are.

Never said I was an outsider. I don't disagree that I've seen more of the inside than most. for obvious reasons. I don't really understand the terms insider and outsider. Have I ever had a conversation with Grobe about the state of the football program, or Wellman about the state of the athletic program? No. I played for Grobe. Wellman was the AD. Not a ton of interaction or shop talk. Most of my interaction has been personal interaction, or church.

I don't know Wellman as well as I know Grobe. And Grobe is the best football coach I've had in my life. He is an amazing motivator, and cultivator of young men. I think there are far less people calling for his head though. But those that are, are out of their minds.

I appreciate the intelligent conversation Racer.

There's something fishy going on w these Stratton brothers. I think it's one person and he's an AD plant.

If Wellman would actually engage Joe Fan (instead of lying to him about the state of the department, cutting off communication via radio shows, and ignoring any and all attempts at dialogue), then Joe Fan wouldn't need to fly banners, take out newspaper ads, and so forth.

State's not a good team this year. If we play one more game like we did Saturday and they play one more game like they did on Saturday we would be favored on a neutral field based on most statistical metrics.

The ONLY people I've heard defend the athletic department lately are past athletes, coaches, big time donors who get off on the access, and certain "reporters" or "recruiting analysts" who need access to continue with their jobs.

I fit none of your criteria, and I'll defend the athletic department. From people I talk to, I think there are a lot that still defend Wellman and even more that support Grobe. There aren't many on this site, but that's because of the nature of this site - there's not much tolerance of those that write anything positive about the athletic department. Hell, every time I update the "fall sports" thread I get neg reps, and that is for just reporting results from some of our teams. I don't care about the neg reps, but it is representative of this site - not a lot of room for rational discussion, in my opinion.

Ron Wellman is not Jeff [Redacted]. Jim Grobe is not Jeff [Redacted]. Neither are even close. Wellman has presided over the most successful period in the history of the athletic department. 4 of Wake's 8 NCAA championships occurred under Wellman, as well as our only NCAA individual championships (Bielik and Bloom x 2). Some argue that he didn't hire all the championship coaches, which is true, but he kept them at Wake and provided the support necessary for them to succeed at the absolute highest level. There were calls for Vidovich to be fired before his streak of final fours, but Wellman stuck with him (he also hired Vidovich in the first place). Wellman also hired two great coaches for our revenue sports in Grobe and Prosser. Finally, to me, the most important thing Wellman did for Wake Forest athletics never gets mentioned here. He was one of the leaders that helped keep the ACC together last year. If the ACC had fallen apart, Wake would have been left in the dust. That is way more important than a couple seasons of poor performance on the field by the athletic department.

Obviously Wellman isn't perfect (I think he should not have hired [Redacted] and should have let him go after his 3rd season), but he has done a lot of incredibly good things for Wake. Jim Grobe has also done a lot of really good things for Wake, and in my opinion neither deserve a banner flying over the football stadium before a Wake football game.

Someone once told me that you can be an asshole or be bad at your job but you can't be both. Wellman may or may not have always been an asshole but lately he's been both.

Back