• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prediction: two more Bz years; Rusty as coach in waiting.

I definitely believe this was Wellman's plan from the beginning. Maybe not necessarily Rusty, perhaps Randolph or even Battle. It's also one reason Buzz was giving a little longer leash. But at this point, Buzz is going to have to win about 4 or 5 of the last 8 to stay I believe. That GaTech loss was a backbreaker.

Childress wasn't on the staff. Battle was as ready pre-[Redacted] for a head coaching job as he will be post-[Redacted]. It was Rusty or no one.

Childress wasn't on the staff. Battle was as ready pre-[Redacted] for a head coaching job as he will be post-[Redacted]. It was Rusty or no one.

Yeah, this is pretty obvious.

Chill was still in Europe when this shit started to go down, IIRC.

Wellman could hire Ben Howland. Let him hire a couple of great recruiters as assistants and keep Chill or Rusty on staff as the third assistant to keep this project going if that's what Wellman thinks is best in the long run.

What do the people that believe he's finished after this season think would change Wellman/Hatch/Bot's mind at this point? He's having his "best" season to date. The prophesy of slow, incremental growth---without compromising our values--- is being fulfilled. The PTB that stuck this out through the Stetson/Iona unraveling have to be elated with ten point losses to Syracuse and wins over in-state opponents.

What do the people that believe he's finished after this season think would change Wellman/Hatch/Bot's mind at this point? He's having his "best" season to date. The prophesy of slow, incremental growth---without compromising our values--- is being fulfilled. The PTB that stuck this out through the Stetson/Iona unraveling have to be elated with ten point losses to Syracuse and wins over in-state opponents.

Wake would need to finish 9-9 or make a run to Saturday in the ACCT, imo.

JHMD, you come at the king, you best not miss

signed,

z114002065.jpg

Put your collar inside your sweater, you slob!

Rusty (or Chill) might turn out to be fine coaches, but what is it about either of them that makes any of us think they are "next in line," other than that they played at Wake?

Wellman's master plan has always had Bz building the culture and foundation. Rusty, the archetypal Deacon scholar-athlete learns at the feet of Bz's mentorship, and takes over and Ron retires the day after Rusty's first team makes the NCAA. I assume his only job after the Clawson hire is procuring the granite for his own statue in front of the Joel and picking the font for the enscription on "Jeff [Redacted] Court."

Hopefully, the powers that be are finally realizing that Ron Wellman was wrong in thinking that the students, alumni, and fanbase would swallow whatever he crammed down our throats. Actions have consequences.

Besides, Chill was an afterthought in Wellman's machinations and Rusty is now forever tainted by this Bzaster. Maybe the stench will wear off eventually IF Rusty gets far enough away. But to promote him to HC after wasting four years (or more) on Buzz?

Following one crony hire with another is just as stupid as hiring Buzz in the first place.

Is this real? Or a real troll job? Either way, shit got real.

IMO your premise is wrong. Slow, incremental growth---without compromising our values---was not their plan. Barely NIT competitive is not their goal.

You and a lot of others trolled yourselves into a frenzy because Bz hasn't been removed during the Cinderella period when it was plainly obvious he was going to be given a chance by the PTB to succeed with his players......and IMO based on Wellman's comments be expected to excel on all levels once that happened. He has his players - he isn't excelling - he is no longer getting vocal support from Wellman.

I think the real coach in waiting is Randolph. I think Wellman's hope is that Buzz could improve things just enough to hand off the reins to Randolph in a couple of years. I think any chance for Buzz to stay now would be 20 wins this year which seems unlikely. I wonder where we would be if Battle's wife didn't get breast cancer which caused him not to be interested in the job when Skip passed away. I think if Battle had taken the job he likely would still be Head Coach and we wouldn't have ever had to deal with Buzz.

I don't know why experience as a winning head coach is a qualification for football but not basketball.

I've been posting the Rusty as coach-in-waiting stuff since Rusty was hired. Pretty clear that he's Wellman's guy and if things weren't completely dreadful I'm convinced Rusty would be the guy.

Of course, jhmd realizes that was the plan after it's hard to see it happening.

Didn't we hire Rusty away from a local high school?

Different prediction. Season ends, Wellman follows the Grobe plan and meets with [Redacted]. Resignation announced shortly after, lots of appreciation for rebuilding the program and leaving a cupboard full of rising junior talent. Rusty and Battle take positions eventually with other programs, new hire retains Childress.

Wellman won't be at Wake for the next round of football or basketball hires, so this will be his last one. Hopefully he won't fuck it up. At least the Clawson hire gives some hope.

Different prediction. Season ends, Wellman follows the Grobe plan and meets with [Redacted]. Resignation announced shortly after, lots of appreciation for rebuilding the program and leaving a cupboard full of rising junior talent. Rusty and Battle take positions eventually with other programs, new hire retains Childress.

Wellman won't be at Wake for the next round of football or basketball hires, so this will be his last one. Hopefully he won't fuck it up. At least the Clawson hire gives some hope.

I don't always agree with DCDeac.

But when I do, it is this post.

Back