• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Bahamas Basketball Thread

Completely agree but I don't think questions about Manning's rotations are unfounded

Probably why everyone is so worried already

Sorry, I was referring to playing Collins and Moore together.

I get what Manning is going for. Collins and Moore at both on the low block. Each will be paired mostly with a stretch 4 in Dinos. But unless Sam or Mitchell step up, those three need to be playing almost all 80 minutes meaning Collins and Moore will need to play together at some point.

I know I know, it's just two meaningless scrimmages, but I am excited to think about a three guard rotation of Crawford, woods, and Childress for the next three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressions arising from a second meaningless scrimmage.

If I'm being charitable I'd agree with Ayo and describe the Deacon defense as atrocious. I didn't see enough of it to be charitable.

After two years I would have thought most folks would understand Manning wants a stretch four on the court. Collins and Moore will share the center position. It will be a position of strength. SJM will learn and see spot minutes. Dinos will be the four. PF depth to be determined. As much as a zone makes sense, if a Manning team is playing zone they are losing.

Arians is no four, but Manning might try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Arians could be a decent three.

Crawford is the PG and Childress is his back up. Have you forgotten what happened last season? A PG 'question' is the last thing this team needs. If Bryant and Brandon concentrate on this position, PG should be a strength if Brandon can cut it in ACC play.

If these two games are an indicator, get ready to see a three guard line up more rather than less.

Anyone else think that crawford needs to penetrate more rather than settle for jump shots? We seem to get very little dribble penetration with the kick.

It's too early to declare anything in stone. However, a coach that won't change the way he has the team play to best utilize the talent he has (rather than the talent he wants) is going to be in trouble.

Sloppy second game. I fear that our most consistent players this year are going to be Collins, Arians, Crawford, Woods, and Wilbekin in that order. McClinton and Chill somewhat consistent, and Doral up an down. Not sure with the rest.

For us to be good, Moore needs to be in the first group IMO, or at least the second.

That was a street ball type of team we played, and I have found that when you play those teams after being used to the rhythms of running against well coached teams that run an offense, you sometimes yourself get out of rhythm. Some of our NCAA tourney losses come to mind. Josh Howard's loss to Auburn and Marquis Daniels comes to mind. That team yesterday also seemed to be a bunch of grown men.

I can see Arians playing some 4 for us this year, as mentioned above, but I think a backline of Woods, Arians, and Collins will have trouble playing defense together, especially if they have to cover for say Wilbekin at the 2. For all of Dinos' struggles last year on offense, he made some strides on D. I hope Doral plays consistently enough to get Arians some good stretches at the 4. I think a backline of Moore and Arians could work against some teams.

Lots more pieces to play with this year compared to last and any struggles we have on offense will be more on the staff than last two years. We should have at least two good 3-point shooters on the court at all times, sometimes three: Arians, Woods, Wilbekin, Dinos, Chill, and Crawford. I sort of expect Crawford to shoot a lower % at the 3 this year based on not much other than his stronger physique and watching him last two games. Hope I am wrong, but he is going to be our heart and soul the next two years, hopefully three.

Impressions arising from a second meaningless scrimmage.

After two years I would have thought most folks would understand Manning wants a stretch four on the court. Collins and Moore will share the center position. It will be a position of strength. SJM will learn and see spot minutes. Dinos will be the four. PF depth to be determined.

Unfortunately I believe this is correct. Manning has has a style he wants to play, but he has not been able to recruit the players to fit it. Last year three of the most productive players on the team played center. Manning was unwilling to veer away from his imagined ideal 4 out playing style. No doubt it cost us wins last year. Perhaps he will eventually be able to recruit to fit his style of play. I, personally, would like to see the system adjusted to reflect your players.

On the other hand, you could say the same thing about Clawson. I am pretty sure, he sacrificed some wins early on for the future.

That team was a bunch of grown men. Former college players and overseas players.

Yep. Last year was like a revolving door of posters saying "Player X needs to sit, what is Manning thinking" then that player would sit and his replacement would blow. Outside of pretty much everyone wanting to see more of Doral Moore and the argument over whether his conditioning issues were real or not, there's no "I told you so" that actually worked out last year. And that's despite the vast majority of posters (myself included) second guessing every lineup. At some point everyone got to see their "dream lineup" and it turned out we just had a bunch of flawed players. Put in Codi and we couldn't shoot. Play more Wilbekin and we couldn't stop anyone. Give Collins more early minutes and he'd pick up 4 fouls 5 minutes into the 2nd half. I mean, there's VanHorn paranoia here even though in our last 20 games last year he only played more than 5 minutes twice with 12 DNP's.

Gotta love all the posts about not overreacting to exhibition games right before overreacting to exhibition games. The number of posters who seem to honestly think Manning doesn't understand lineups continues to crack me up.

+ DC totally on target here.

Tough to assess a game like last nite as we were playing a jack-it-up-from-anywhere street ball team that had some good size, athleticism and strength since they all seemed to be much older dudes. And they had a LOT of help from those refs, who seemingly think that, by calling it tight on a D-I school against a go-for-broke, hyper-aggressive semi-pro team, they will be recognized as an up and coming officiant of college BB games. Whatevs. They were horrendous in every regard. It was okay for them to bump and push and hip check us, but we were allowed seemingly no degree of latitude on contact. To wit: 32 fouls on us and only 19 on them?? Childress and Woods BOTH foul out?? Laughable.

Teams like that take such wild shots at times that it is tough to rebound the long, crazy caroms and even if you have position, sometimes the ball ends up ricocheting the other way. Not to say that some of our guys don't need work on shoring up their ability to corral a rebound and hold onto it without fumbling it away or allowing the other team to get their paws on it. That Bain dude is obviously a pretty good player and he is going to get his shot off no matter what. He must've been ice cold against Akron as they are no way 30 points better than Wake.

The good news is despite looking stagnant at times against the zone, or in spite of having stretches of impatience where we threw the ball around recklessly, we still had 25 assists on 34 made shots! That is a ridiculously good ratio. You can tell these guys like playing with each other, and despite the number of newcomers to the fold, they already seem to have a good understanding of where they like to operate on the court. I was seriously impressed by Woods last night, who made a lot of savvy decisions in the half-court and was unstoppable in the open court. He is going to make Bryant Crawford and Arians (and Childress too) that much better because he knows where the hell he should be to help them thrive. I knew he would help but I didn't think he would be this big, strong and play with such a high IQ.

Another good sign is how much better we were on the glass, with SJM and Collins doing a nice job of staying active and getting their hands on lots of 50/50 balls. And when Arians and Woods can crash and pull in 6 rebounds each, that is a very good sign. Not to mention a strong indicator that we will likely employ a lot more 3-guard sets, with Woods at the 3 and Arians at the 4. Especially against teams who have simply zoned us into a slow -- or sometimes not so slow -- painful suffocating death. It's a shame that Doral looked a little out of sorts last night and didn't seem to know what to do against playground competition. But that was the biggest negative, a lack of diagonal passing, use of the short corner, cutting and interior scoring that wasn't off a drive and dish or offensive rebound. We passed the ball well on the perimeter and utilized the quick screen and pop quite effectively a lot of the night, but they seemed hesitant to work the ball inside with crisp, confident passing. That will come with more work and practice in the fall.

I sincerely hope that Richard and Donovan get a lot more minutes tonight over TVH. I get that he has "earned" it with his hard work and generally safe, high-IQ play, but come on. What is the point of not letting your frosh play 15-20 mins apiece to see what you have? This extra time is invaluable and we're squandering some of it by playing TVH so much. We know what he is, what he brings and he can't shoot an open 22 footer better than any of us. What. Is. The. Point?

Sorry for the long post, but have meetings the rest of the morning and just felt like I needed a little thought purge of the old melon. Carry on!

Last edited:
Oh and John Collins didn't foul out despite the high number of fouls being called on us!! Dare I say that is remarkable considering the impetuosity of those over-officious idiots??

Jaysus, Akron managed to squeeze off 48 threes in that game against CTG Knights, and they hit 21!! Whose their coach? Paul Westhead??

Last year, the Zips had 6 guys attempt over 100 3's. That is quite a lot. And 4 of them shot better than 40% from deep!! Yikes.

If anything, maybe we were too patient against their zone trying to find the best open look rather than just jack up 50 3's as fast as possible! :laugh:

ETA: apparently the Zips were the 18th best team in 3-pt shooting last season at 38.8% and that is with an avg of 30.5 attempts per game. Run and shoot!

Last edited:
I think our biggest problem this year is going to be perimeter D. Wilbekin can't guard anyone. Crawford has the athleticism to be a good defender, but plays way too upright and spaces out off the ball. I have doubts that Arians will be a competent defender. Not sure about Woods or the freshmen yet.

Crawford makes somes bad decisions with the ball at times. He needs to clean that up. We were up 17 at one point and they went on a 10-0 run because BC was bein careless. He had 2-3 bad turnovers in that run. Great Pgs dont turn the ball over.

Crawford makes somes bad decisions with the ball at times. He needs to clean that up. We were up 17 at one point and they went on a 10-0 run because BC was bein careless. He had 2-3 bad turnovers in that run. Great Pgs dont turn the ball over.

Actually, Steph was #10 in TOs/game. Lillard was #13, Wall #3, Westbrook #2.

The more you have the ball. The more TOs you make.

That being said, Bryant does need to improve this year.

Back