• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Bahamas Basketball Thread

Watched all three games and thought J.Collins, K.Woods,A.Arians and B.Childress exceeded my
expectations.

Last edited:
Well, if you want to project per 40, I bet Sam is about 18/18.

I'm gonna have to go with RJ on this one. I have yet to see anything from McClinton that says he can be anything other than a space filler. He isn't a great defender or rebounder. He isn't bad but he isn't great. And when you literally can't hit a hit from outside of 5 feet and you can't can't create offense off the dribble you need to be a great defender and rebounder to be valuable. Jamaal levy was a glue guy. He was a great defender and rebounder and it made up for offensive deficiencies. McClinton should be on the bench on any good basketball team.

I think McClinton is an excellent rebounder for his size. I agree with everything else, though. His offensive shortcomings (and only average defensive abilities) unfortunately outweigh this skill. I hope he can be a valuable reserve this year, playing spot minutes.

Turnovers are going to be a problem given how many first and second year players we're going to be relying on this year.

But it is encouraging to see 3 guys shoot over 50% from 3. I don't care what the competition is, I don't think we had 3 guys who could hit 50% in practice last year.

As for free throws, I don't expect our team average to be great, but hopefully we have at least 2 guys (maybe Woods, Dinos or Arians, preferably not a freshman) that we can can count on late in games in intentional foul scenarios. That's another thing we didn't have last year that hurt us, most notably against UVA. I know it's a low bar, but it's crazy how many basic things [name redacted]'s tenure left us without.

I thought this exact same thing watching these games. Woods, Dinos, Arians, Wilbekin, and Chill could be out there at the end of the game and provide good ball handling/passing and good FT shooting. Hopefully Craw will shoot well enough to be on the floor at these times, too.

Good notes, RJ. I don't think Sam needs to lose 20-30 pounds though. He seemed pretty mobile. I think he's already lost 20-30 pounds. He could ADD WEIGHT actually, pretty easily, and probably should Add muscle, and turn a little more fat into muscle and you are probably looking at putting back on 15 pounds but lowering his BMI.

I was pleasantly surprised with the shape he was in. I was expecting a taller version of frosh Big E. Hopefully after getting in the weight room, he will approach a Sr Big E's physique. I was also impressed with his hands for a big guy (as well as the baby hooks!).

I thought this exact same thing watching these games. Woods, Dinos, Arians, Wilbekin, and Chill could be out there at the end of the game and provide good ball handling/passing and good FT shooting. Hopefully Craw will shoot well enough to be on the floor at these times, too.

That seems like a suitable lineup if we're down 10 or up 10 late.

Collins looked better than Moore in the Bahamas where there weren't any skilled big men to challenge them. When the low post competition gets bigger and stronger Moore will show better. Just an opinion.

Um you gotta have the best player on your team on the court during these times.

Woods makes me think of a shorter Craig Dawson with a bit more athletic ability.
I think Moore has a lot more that he can show us. He really made some nice passes out of the low post so defenses will have to be careful about how they defend him. Needs to develop better body control when he contests shots to stay on the floor and be more effective.
Collins has great skills and athleticism but doesn't have enough size to be our 5 all year IMO. He'll need to split time at the 4/5. Hope Manning thinks he and Moore can coexist on the court.
All the freshmen bring something to the table but we'll need to be patient. Most are 1-2 years away from being very solid.
Crawford's ast:TO (~1:1) against this competition worries me a lot. Childress's was 2:1 for comparison. On the flip side, twice when he turned it over, he then stole it back in the last game.

Agree with a lot of what you said, Doggus. Collins is a true 4 but DM doesn't see it that way. There should be 20+ minutes with Moore and Collins on the floor this season.

Thus far it seems Manning just isn't going to play much of two bigs without range together. He likes a big and a stretch 4 together.

I'd like to see Doral get to 20 mpg this year but I don't think it's too likely.

It scares me that Manning is probably going to play Arians at PF when Dino is on the bench meaning plenty of time for Wilbekin in the 3 guard lineup.

DM seems to trust Wilbekin as the safety driver.

You almost have to play Collins and Moore as 5's until either can prove they can play 30 minutes a game without fouling out.

Collins has a long way to go defensively before he can guard the modern 4.

If Manning stubbornly continues to play strictly man defense, then you can not have 3 of your best shooters on the floor long, namely Wilbekin, Dinos, and Arians and this is a problem. Assuming he does do that, I would like to see Dinos get some time at the 5 because he can not guard a 4 and has bulked up nicely in order to bang with big guys. He also gives you the luxury of possibly pulling their big out to guard him or you leave him open for 3's. Arians can not guard any position except the 4 in a man due to his slow feet but he also gives up a lot of height when he plays there. A split of Moore/Dinos/Collins at the 5, Collins/Dinos/ Arians at the 4 would give you a lot of options down low and put your players in the best positions that they fit on both sides of the court.

The weakest position remains the 3 and there we have to pick our poison so to speak. Ideally, Richard or GMac could play there but both would give you only part of what you need from that spot. McClinton can rebound but lacks lateral quickness to guard an ACC 3 plus he can't hit the ocean from a boat. Washington is a Frosh and needs more strength (plus experience) or else he gets toasted out there. That leaves you with what I consider the best option in Keyshawn at the 3, BC at the 2, and Brandon at the PG. I know this is heresy to some, and you couldn't do it for a whole game, but your shooting ability would force teams to score a lot of points to beat you and you could have somewhat adequate defense on the perimeter (not good mind you, adequate). This grouping also has some issues in that you would be small at the 3 and PG plus you take the ball out of BC's hands and he is our best player creating a shot. Like I said, you pick your poison. It would be great if Donovan could play the 3 but he is not near ready for that yet IMO so he has to give you spot minutes at the 4. Big Sam can spell guys at the 5 and be your "enforcer" when the other team has a bruiser at Center.

Back