• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presumably OFFICAL 2015/16 Premier League - Leicester CHAMPS. Best Sports Story Ever

2-3 years ago I would have said it would have been Mourinho at City and Pep at United, this is going to be odd.

Reports are Rafa Benitez will be announced as the Newcastle manager later today. That's huge news - hopefully he rights the ship and gets them straight back up. Supposedly he's getting full control over all aspects of the club.

Chelsea holding up the Man United Mourinho deal. Crazy he doesn't own his own naming rights. :)

Negotiations over Jose Mourinho's image rights are delaying him becoming the new Manchester United manager.

Mourinho is expected to replace sacked Louis van Gaal, with talks ongoing between his agent Jorge Mendes and United officials.

But it has emerged that Chelsea still own the 'Jose Mourinho' name as a trademark - meaning United may need to pay a six-figure sum for the rights.

However, the issue will not scupper any deal, which is expected this week.

Discussions will now enter a third day, despite the deal to bring the 53-year-old former Chelsea boss to Old Trafford being largely complete. On Wednesday, Mourinho told waiting reporters at his home in London that he was going to Portugal.

What is the hold-up?

Chelsea registered both the name Jose Mourinho and his signature as a European trademark in 2005, meaning they can use it to sell merchandise such as toiletries, technology, clothing and jewellery.

Sports lawyer Carol Couse told BBC Sport it was "really unusual" for an individual not to own the trademark to their own name.

"Chelsea could be earning revenue every time someone uses Mourinho's name. It could prevent United from exploiting his signature," said Couse, of law firm Mills & Reeve.

"One of the things United will be looking to acquire is not only Mourinho's image but also his name.

"If United had a brand of Mourinho clothing it would be in breach of the trademark Chelsea currently own."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36382637

He's managed other clubs besides Chelsea since then -- since its a Euro trademark not sure why it's an obstacle now versus then.

Man Utd have had some publicly reported things not come to pass but this would be an all-timer if it doesn't actually happen (but it will)

I'll smile if it breaks down over TNSSO not owning his own image rights.

He should just pull a Prince and change his name to a symbol.

That would be awesome to watch in the craziness of the PL.

ETA: Any ideas on name-symbols for Mourinho?

ETA: Any ideas on name-symbols for Mourinho?

Obviously:

School_Bus-512.png

God I hope Zlatan goes to ManU...

How to shake off Stephane Henchoz:

"First I went left, he did too. Then I went right, and he did too. Then I went left again, and he went to buy a hot dog.”

Mind your own business:

Reporter: “You’ve got some scars on your face, Zlatan. What has happened?”
Zlatan: “Well…I don’t know…you’ll have to ask your wife about that”

After being criticised by John Carew:

“What Carew does with a football, I can do with an orange.”

On refusing a trial at Arsenal:

“Arsene Wenger asked me to have a trial with Arsenal when I was 17. I turned it down. Zlatan doesn’t do auditions.”

After being asked by a female reporter about a photo of him and Gerard Pique hugging:

“Come over to my house with your sister, baby, and I’ll show you who’s gay!”

On having one too many celebrating Juventus' 2005 title win:

“It was the fault of David Trezeguet, who made me do one drink of vodka after another. I slept in the bathtub. Now I hold my vodka much better.”

What Zlatan bought his wife for her birthday:

”Nothing, she already has Zlatan.”

The wisdom of Pep Guardiola:

“Then Guardiola started his philosopher thing. I was barely listening. Why would I? It was advanced bullshit about blood, sweat and tears, that kind of stuff.”

On the enemy:

"Guardiola was staring at me and I lost it. I thought 'there is my enemy, scratching his bald head!'. I yelled to him: 'You have no balls!' and probably worse things than that."

On being misused at Barca:

"You bought a Ferrari but you drive it like a Fiat"

On the (other) Special One:

"Jose Mourinho is a big star ... he's cool. The first time he met (my wife) he whispered to her: 'Helena you have only one mission. Feed Zlatan, let him sleep, keep him happy"' The guy says what he wants. I like him."

Pep vs Jose:

“Mourinho is Guardiola’s opposite. If Mourinho brightens up the room, Guardiola pulls down the curtains and I guessed that Guardiola now tried to measure himself with him.”

I have two Zlatan jerseys, dude is easily my favorite player in all of football. I know he's one of the biggest pricks in the sport but I can't help but be a fan. This past season (even though it was in Ligue 1) was damn impressive. I think he's exactly what MUFC and Jose need right now.

Back