• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presumably OFFICIAL 2016/17 Premier League

Bringing the Pogba debate back up because I've just seen this vid on Twitter. Showing multitudes of great chances created by great Pogba passes that should have resulted in goals only for the finishing to let the team down.

Don't play the sound...the music is TERRIBLE.

You could make a reel of missed chances for nearly every midfielder in the league - even great forwards miss many more chances than they finish. Also, the vast majority of those chances in that video are of a specific type (ball in the air over the top that has to be chested/volleyed) which is extremely difficult to finish and is hugely dependent on the forward. There's one chance in that entire video that's on the ground to feet, Pogba far prefers to use his long passing to chip or angle the ball over the defense than try to slide rule balls through on the ground, and that makes for lower quality chances.

He's a hollywood player. Those long balls are gorgeous and he's great at switching play, but he doesn't create high quality chances and the simple stuff he just doesn't do enough of. Compare him to say ... Toni Kroos ... and see how much he relies far too much on highlight skills and not nearly enough on the precise, routine passing that creates better chances.

And again, all of that is with the bigger caveat that he's a fucking atrocious defensive player. Lazy and undisciplined. That's a much, much, much bigger problem with his game.

Paul Pogba averages 2 key passes a game in the Prem. Good for tied for 12th in the league. A few of the clips in that vid were from Europa so not included in those numbers.

Is Jordan Henderson a Hollywood player too? Averages 1.4 long ball passes per game (6.9) more than Pogba (5.5). Or Xhaka? (5) What about Eric Dier? (5.2)

As for defensive work -- what do you think about de Bruyne's work defensively then?

You just get so set in your ideas about players and you can't shake them -- many of us fall into the same traps with our own views on players we struggle to shake. But Pogba has been good, but not as good as he can be -- which is a scary notion. But it is his first year back in England since being a true first team player.

I know you are going to die on this hill vad but I don't know how anyone could watch that video and think "those passes don't really help his team".

I know you are going to die on this hill vad but I don't know how anyone could watch that video and think "those passes don't really help his team".

It is an "A" chance from "Zone 3" where players are expected to score 50% of the time. #stats

Spurs with only two matches remaining against Big Clubs, and both at home. The rest against bottom-half teams. Take care of business.

C7eXxNdX0AA-4vP.jpg

United has two games in hand on Liverpool and 11 matches left in total. I find that table suspect as a result.

United has two games in hand on Liverpool and 11 matches left in total. I find that table suspect as a result.

How can you find #stats suspect?

Anyway, while United have 2 games in hand, they also have arguably the toughest path.

United’s run-in will involve away trips to Manchester City (3), Arsenal (6) and Tottenham (2), as well as home visits from Everton (7) and likely champions Chelsea (1). To date, United's record vs Top 6 hasn't been good making Europa league potentially the focus for Mourinho.

Match congestion will also be a factor with the Europa League game against Anderlecht (20th of April) and an away trip to Burnley (23rd of April) then Thursday night Manchester Derby (27th of April) with a home visit from Swansea (30th of April). Advancing in Europa league will also add to congestion later in the season.

If LFC can get out of it's own way and win vs bottom half competition, it shouldn't matter, but the irony might come in LFC wanting a United Europa League Win. Should ManU take #4 and win Europa giving #5 a birth in Champions League. Would United throw the final if sitting in 4th, to block their rivals?

One thing everyone can agree on, While Chelsea have largely ruined a 'title race', there are some interesting story lines 2-6.

How can you find #stats suspect?

Anyway, while United have 2 games in hand, they also have arguably the toughest path.

United’s run-in will involve away trips to Manchester City (3), Arsenal (6) and Tottenham (2), as well as home visits from Everton (7) and likely champions Chelsea (1). To date, United's record vs Top 6 hasn't been good making Europa league potentially the focus for Mourinho.

Match congestion will also be a factor with the Europa League game against Anderlecht (20th of April) and an away trip to Burnley (23rd of April) then Thursday night Manchester Derby (27th of April) with a home visit from Swansea (30th of April). Advancing in Europa league will also add to congestion later in the season.

If LFC can get out of it's own way and win vs bottom half competition, it shouldn't matter, but the irony might come in LFC wanting a United Europa League Win. Should ManU take #4 and win Europa giving #5 a birth in Champions League. Would United throw the final if sitting in 4th, to block their rivals?

One thing everyone can agree on, While Chelsea have largely ruined a 'title race', there are some interesting story lines 2-6.

To your first point, I didn't think it worked this way currently? To your second, of course not. United wouldn't throw away the chance to win a European trophy so that Liverpool didn't get a chance to almost certainly not win a european trophy the following season.

Well, for one, it shows United with only 10 matches left when in fact they have 11.

I think the Bramley Moore stuff is far from official yet. Club still says they're waiting to put a planning bid in til later in 2017. But the deal has been in the works for well over a year now. It will be pretty incredible if they can get what they want out of it.

My wife's reaction to "hey, honey - I'm flying to northwest England this fall with some e-buddies from boards...that's cool, right?" would be priceless.

I've been to Goodison. Save your money. :thumbsup:

Back