• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pulse of the Fanbase: End of Year 2 of the Manning Era

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best, 1 the worst), how confident are you in Danny M

Votes: 18 6.6%

Votes: 47 17.2%

Votes: 64 23.4%

Votes: 40 14.6%

Votes: 39 14.2%

Votes: 33 12.0%

Votes: 21 7.7%

Votes: 6 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Talented players that are able to do what the coach wants are really the most important need in college BB. There really aren't many surprises. The teams with the most top 25, burger boys etc. are generally the teams in the national title picture at the end of the season.

Wake's sophomores to be have gotten a lot of playing time. Crawford played the most minutes of anyone (even more than Devin.) Doral Moore's ability to handle more minutes may be key. He showed some spark when he played. The team was out of synch particularly after Codi returned. He missed about 1/3 of the season, and wasn't really game ready for several games after he returned. That I think really disrupted the team chemistry. Who is leading the offense? The senior point guard who had over 90 starts prior to this year, or the freshman guy who ran the team for the first 10 games? They are very different styles of player. Don't think the rest of the team was ever comfortable knowing what exactly was coming.

Codi and BC were vastly different styles of point guard. Codi was a pass/drive guy. Crawford looked for his own shot a lot. He took the most shots on the team, and also took the most threes. He did not make the most shots. It is hard to have much of an offense when your point guard dribbles the ball upcourt and chucks up a 25 foot three. That is something Danny (Chill?) really needs to work on with Crawford. Everybody on the team likes to get a chance at a shot. Chill understood this. His rule: "When I pass you the ball, if your open, shoot. If not, give me the ball back." Crawford need to learn this.

Several of the guys (and not just freshmen) looked like they were just worn out. (Dead legs) Dinos and Wilbekin in particular. That may explain why Dinos shot just quit going in. It wasn't just his threes. That you could attribute to teams playing better defense on him. His free throw stroke also went away. Can't chalk that up to better FT defense by the other team.

Early in the ACC season, the team got smoked coming out of the locker room just after halftime. That seemed to get fixed. Throughout the latter half of the season, the end game got away, particularly after the UVA heartbreaker.

Supposedly the biggest improvement in college is between freshman and sophomore years. That needs to happen for Wake's three frosh, or next year will be worse than this.

Think we improve from our two ACC wins, most likely not much but 4-5 wins. I am excited to see the new team next year...trying to be positive, to some degree.

Think we improve from our two ACC wins, most likely not much but 4-5 wins. I am excited to see the new team next year...trying to be positive, to some degree.

If the team next year wins 4-5 games in conference, Coach Manning should be fired at the end of the tournament game.

This year's team, without doubt, should have won at least 6-7 ACC games. No way 4-5 ACC wins next year should be looked on as "improvement".

I thought our "ceiling" this year would be what VT did in conference..10-8. We just fell to pieces after the Xavier collapse really. I think that started the doubts for the players and the UVA game delivered the final blow. I do think if we would have held on to the UVA game we would have ended up winning 6 or 7 league games. If we would have beaten Xavier, we would have been a bubble team by years end, imo.

Danny has to figure this thing out next year or we need to blow it up....again.

I thought our "ceiling" this year would be what VT did in conference..10-8. We just fell to pieces after the Xavier collapse really. I think that started the doubts for the players and the UVA game delivered the final blow. I do think if we would have held on to the UVA game we would have ended up winning 6 or 7 league games. If we would have beaten Xavier, we would have been a bubble team by years end, imo.

Danny has to figure this thing out next year or we need to blow it up....again.

We were not one tough break away from the bubble. Playing through the ACC requires more talent and mental toughness than we had. 2-17 or whatever we were is not a tough loss away from the bubble. Wowzers.

We were not one tough break away from the bubble. Playing through the ACC requires more talent and mental toughness than we had. 2-17 or whatever we were is not a tough loss away from the bubble. Wowzers.

Maybe I didn't get the point I wanted to across earlier. I know we had major problems that we hid early in the season. I just meant that the Xavier and UVA games kind of killed our "will". We went from a team that found ways to pull out close games to a team that couldn't get out of its own way. I think if we didn't have those collapses, we find ways to win more games that we were in (Ncst, Pitt, GT, VT twice, Clem). We were better than 2-17...

We went from a team that lost big leads late to weak competition to a team that played decent to good teams and just got beat.

2 and that may be a stretch. Guy has no clue about in game decisions or player rotations and unless I am mistaken, he said when hired that we would "hang our hat on defense". How's that working out for us so far Coach? Fire Wellman, this bozo is a loser

Maybe I didn't get the point I wanted to across earlier. I know we had major problems that we hid early in the season. I just meant that the Xavier and UVA games kind of killed our "will". We went from a team that found ways to pull out close games to a team that couldn't get out of its own way. I think if we didn't have those collapses, we find ways to win more games that we were in (Ncst, Pitt, GT, VT twice, Clem). We were better than 2-17...

To compete in the ACC we either need drastically more talent or a little more talent and drastically better coaching. I think things changed when CMM came back and threw off our rhythm as we started playing better teams/coaching. I don't think Manning is going to coach us out of this hole so he needs to recruit us out of it. The freshmen class was the right direction. '17 class will have to be better and much better than the '16 class. If Manning lands a monster '17 class I would push my expectations to 50/50 success. An average '17 class and DM has no shot at success here.

Agree with Turd...DM will not coach us up like Buzz at VT. What we need and is absolutely possible is either one MickeyD to jump start us or 2 back to back top 15 to 20 recruiting classes built on quality as opposed to quantity.

This can 100% be done in the sport of BB at Wake.

Agree with Turd...DM will not coach us up like Buzz at VT. What we need and is absolutely possible is either one MickeyD to jump start us or 2 back to back top 15 to 20 recruiting classes built on quality as opposed to quantity.

This can 100% be done in the sport of BB at Wake.

rj is that you?

Comparison:

Beginning of Year 2 Poll

DMBeginningYear2_zps4jo8gawk.png

End of Year 2 Poll

DMEndOfYear2Good2_zps5thzyku2.png

Nearly 1/2 of the responses (127/268) in the End of Year 2 poll are 1-3. Nearly 3/4ths of the responses (158/218) in the Beginning of Year 2 poll were 6-8.

Last edited:
The lineup that Manning put on the floor for the last 3 or so minutes of the first half of the Syracuse game is the most inexplicable thing I've ever seen a college coach do. It was essentially malpractice. While my hope is otherwise, I doubt he'll ever achieve even mediocrity at Wake.

Back