• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rank the Top 25 Best Basketball Coaching Positions in America

What was the question, and why was Wake on any of the lists?

Where the hell was VCU? Which job would you rather have?

So you're all saying we are a top 25 program and [Redacted] was the best we could do?

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think anyone is saying that. Why do you think everyone was so pissed off that Wellman rolled the dice on that loser in the first place.

I would agree that NC State is top 25. Wake? I am not sure. There could have been an argument made 3 years ago, but now?

What was the question, and why was Wake on any of the lists?

Where the hell was VCU? Which job would you rather have?

Is that a serious question? Wake has a better brand, more money, more history, and a much, much better conference.

I would agree that NC State is top 25. Wake? I am not sure. There could have been an argument made 3 years ago, but now?

Not really a big difference between the Wake and NC State jobs.

Not really a big difference between the Wake and NC State jobs.

Except that State has 3 final hours, 2 national titles and is an easier place to recruit. Wake has the better NBA players, but we have never seemed to be able to capitalize on that.

Except that State has 3 final hours, 2 national titles and is an easier place to recruit. Wake has the better NBA players, but we have never seemed to be able to capitalize on that.

The national titles aren't going to be real relevant to today's recruits. NCSU's edge over Wake is that it doesn't have the same level of academic rigor. Wake's edge over NCSU is that the fan-base isn't as vocal. In the end I think that works out to NCSU's favor..but I don't think it's a blow out.

The national titles aren't going to be real relevant to today's recruits. NCSU's edge over Wake is that it doesn't have the same level of academic rigor. Wake's edge over NCSU is that the fan-base isn't as vocal. In the end I think that works out to NCSU's favor..but I don't think it's a blow out.

Sometimes I wish we were more vocal. I don't want to be like State's, but I don't know of many schools who would ensure 4 years of Buzz ball like we have.

Tier 1
Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky

Tier 2
UCLA, Indiana, Michigan State, Arizona, Syracuse, Ohio State, Florida, Louisville

Tier 3
Michigan, Illinois, Maryland, Texas, Oklahoma State, Villanova, NC State, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Connecticut

Tier 4
Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Virginia, Cincinnati, Xavier, Gonzaga, Purdue, Florida State, Minnesota, Temple, Stanford, Cal, USC, Washington, Marquette,

Tier 5
Boston College, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami, St. John's, Butler, Arizona State, Georgia, Washington State, Mississippi State, LSU, Alabama, St. Joseph’s, VCU, George Washington, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Wichita State, Creighton, St. Louis, Providence, Iowa, Iowa State, Utah, BYU, UNLV, DePaul

Tier 6
Everyone else

Last edited:
Marquette is better than Illinois or UConn.

I don't think Illinois is that good a job other than for pay.

I'd wait on UConnn until they land in a real conference. If they don't, it won't be a good job.

Wisconsin wasn't good before Ryan. It may not be after he leaves.

Wake is as good or better than State.

USC is a bad job. Minnesota is a bad job. Now that Cinci is confreenceless , they are a bad job.

All fair points RJ. I'd be fine moving Marquette to tier 3. I have Illinois up there because of the potential of recruiting the Chicago area. So much talent there if you can keep some of it in state. I did tiers instead of rankings, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder to some extent, of course. My general thinking on placing schools in tiers was "absent some personal connection, would a coach prefer job x to job y."

I'm very curious what happens to Gonzaga once Mark Few retires or ever decides to move on. They look like a solid job right now, but they are stuck in the WCC and for all the success that Few has had there they still haven't made it to a Final Four. I could see Gonzaga falling all they way off the radar post-Few...

I'm very curious what happens to Gonzaga once Mark Few retires or ever decides to move on. They look like a solid job right now, but they are stuck in the WCC and for all the success that Few has had there they still haven't made it to a Final Four. I could see Gonzaga falling all they way off the radar post-Few...

also see: UConn post-Calhoun

I wonder how well Duke will hold up once K retires. There really is no one in his coaching tree I can see coming in like Roy did for Dean Smith when he retired. Although maybe keeping it in the family isn't something Duke really cares about.

Duke was a top job before K and will be after he leaves.

Wisconsin wasn't good before Ryan. It may not be after he leaves.

They were good with Dick Bennett -- made the Final 4. Prior to Dick, though, awful -- outside of one good year with Michael Finley and Rashard Griffith.

You guys really can't say that anymore can you now?

You guys really can't say that anymore can you now?

Fair point, although I do think it's still true. I don't think you all would have taken 3 years to get to this point...

Back