• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reasonable Expectations

I think it was just a week ago I read someone say this dude just loves the sound of his own voice when everyone was beyond ready to move past a boring Steph Curry debate and now there's three threads for him to run wild on this boring topic as we prepare for the inevitable tailspin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was Klay Thompson. It's not a debate if the other side refuses to put forth any arguments and simply states their conclusion over and over again.

Lon Kruger @ Oklahoma had a similar improvement -

2011 - Jeff Capel - 144
2012 - Lon Kruger - 105
2013 - Lon Kruger - 51
2014 - Lon Kruger - 30
2015 - Lon Kruger - 11
2016 - Lon Kruger - 10

They've had tough year so far, but some steady improvement over his first five seasons.

Fair enough, though OU was only 2 years removed from an elite 8 appearance when Kruger took over.

Manning inherited one of the biggest rebuilds in last 25 years. He flipped the whole roster. With the circumstances Manning is doin an amazing job. Steady improvement with basically no seniors in the toughest ACC in the last 10 years. Got a top 30 recruit comin in next year.

Manning inherited one of the biggest rebuilds in last 25 years. He flipped the whole roster.

This isn't football. Flipping the roster just isn't the huge undertaking that some of you are making it out to be.

Manning inherited one of the biggest rebuilds in last 25 years. He flipped the whole roster. With the circumstances Manning is doin an amazing job. Steady improvement with basically no seniors in the toughest ACC in the last 10 years. Got a top 30 recruit comin in next year.

An amazing job? Pretty sure I wouldn't say what he's done in 2 1/2 seasons is amazing.

I want more positive results...more wins now!

But if I allow myself a brief moment of objectivity and admit the youth of our team, the fact that we don't have any 5* players and our coach is still learning how to be a HC ...I have to admit that he is probably doing better than I want to admit.

WFU basketball fans have been having this exact conversation for decades. It would be awesome to actually be an elite program, as opposed to perpetually being in the planning stages.

WFU basketball fans have been having this exact conversation for decades. It would be awesome to actually be an elite program, as opposed to perpetually being in the planning stages.

I don't really think any/many Wake fans have expectations that we'll become an elite program. There are only so many of those spots and getting there basically requires getting an elite coach and holding on to him. It's certianly not impossible, but it's not an expectation. What the Wake fans I know do and should expect, is to be on that next level down from the elites. One of the top 15-25 teams in the nation, playing in the post season every season save for the occasionally off year. Basically, what we were over the course of 20 years spanning Odom, Prosser and Gaudio, before the culture wars began and Wellman ran an excellent program into the ground.

Year 1 - Improve
Year 2 - Improve again
Year 3 - Post-season (NIT or better)
Year 4- NCAA

I don't really think any/many Wake fans have expectations that we'll become an elite program. There are only so many of those spots and getting there basically requires getting an elite coach and holding on to him. It's certianly not impossible, but it's not an expectation. What the Wake fans I know do and should expect, is to be on that next level down from the elites. One of the top 15-25 teams in the nation, playing in the post season every season save for the occasionally off year. Basically, what we were over the course of 20 years spanning Odom, Prosser and Gaudio, before the culture wars began and Wellman ran an excellent program into the ground.

If Tony Bennett can make UVA an elite program, we should hold our coaches to the expectation that they will get us to the elite level. We should also give them adequate time to achieve that goal as long as they are achieving appropriate benchmarks.

I'm holding Manning to the Tony Bennett model, with some adjustments up front since Manning took over a worse situation.

he has to make the NCAAT in year four. anything short of that and he ought to be shown the door, although i'm not sure he would be, because wellman.

now that it's clear we won't be relevant for this year's ACCT or NCAAT, i don't care too much what happens the rest of this season, but it would be kinda nice to make the NIT.

he has to make the NCAAT in year four. anything short of that and he ought to be shown the door, although i'm not sure he would be, because wellman.

now that it's clear we won't be relevant for this year's ACCT or NCAAT, i don't care too much what happens the rest of this season, but it would be kinda nice to make the NIT.

This isn't clear.

If Tony Bennett can make UVA an elite program, we should hold our coaches to the expectation that they will get us to the elite level. We should also give them adequate time to achieve that goal as long as they are achieving appropriate benchmarks.

VA is an elite program?

VA is an elite program?

They are getting pretty close.

This will be the fourth straight season finishing in the top 10 of KP (and probably 3/4 in the top 5). They have received two 1 seeds, and a 2 seed. Two ACC regular season first place finishes, and an ACCT title to back it up.

Not sure if you're taking a bigger picture of "elite", but they have been a top 5 school over a 5 year span.

wait...so you think we have a shot at either making a run in the ACCT or making the NCAAT?

Yes. That doesn't mean that we are going to, but I think Wake fans are underselling what we have right now. I'm not predicting a ACC finals appearance or an 8 seed or anything, but we if we finish one game above what KP projects us then we are 17-13, 8-10 in the ACC with a top 10 schedule. That has us squarely on the bubble.

We need to get some damn wins, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we go 4-2 in the next 6 games, as that's slightly above what is expected. It's not outrageous to believe that by any stretch.

They are getting pretty close.

This will be the fourth straight season finishing in the top 10 of KP (and probably 3/4 in the top 5). They have received two 1 seeds, and a 2 seed. Two ACC regular season first place finishes, and an ACCT title to back it up.

Not sure if you're taking a bigger picture of "elite", but they have been a top 5 school over a 5 year span.

Yeah, elite to me means quite a bit more than 4 seasons. That's a good run. I'm thinking of teams that have been consistently good over 10, 20, 30 years. Over the 20 years from Odom to Gaudio, we were consistently one of the better 15-25 teams in the nation and almost always playing in the post season, what I'd consider a step below the elites like Duke and UNC who were often deep in the post season and and ranked damn near every season.

Yes. That doesn't mean that we are going to, but I think Wake fans are underselling what we have right now. I'm not predicting a ACC finals appearance or an 8 seed or anything, but we if we finish one game above what KP projects us then we are 17-13, 8-10 in the ACC with a top 10 schedule. That has us squarely on the bubble.

We need to get some damn wins, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we go 4-2 in the next 6 games, as that's slightly above what is expected. It's not outrageous to believe that by any stretch.

When was the last time a 17-win team with a below .500 conference record made the NCAAT without winning their conference tournament?

(not a rhetorical question...just thinking you can find the answer faster than I can)

Back