• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Ronaldo, Nani, Moutinho, Veloso, Pepe, Coentrao would all walk into our side.

Portugal undoubtedly has more talent than we do. However, the whole of our team is greater than the sum of our parts.

oh here we go with the walk into our starting XI again :thumbsup:

So ze Germans will play hard in a meaningless match to try and push their way into the starting lineup, but won't play hard in a meaningless match to try and push their way into the starting lineup? :noidea:

You damn well know the difference between a friendly in February and a World Cup match. Come on, stop being so obtuse.

If the group looks like this after the first two games:

GER 6 USA 4 GHANA/POR (interchangeable) 1/0

I'll feel pretty damn good about our chances of advancing. That said big if to get to that point

You damn well know the difference between a friendly in February and a World Cup match. Come on, stop being so obtuse.

Oh sure, a February friendly is different. But we played them in June. Same month as the World Cup. #BOOM #headshot

I feel pretty good about being the only team from this hemisphere in the group. The history of European sides in South American World Cups is underwhelming. Would rather have Portugal in our group than pretty much any of the South American teams.

We beat Portugal in Asia in '02 and should have beaten Germany (I want to say one of the Germans, perhaps Frings, should have been sent off and wasn't).

We can advance out of this group, but beating Ghana is the key. Frankly, we owe them. Time to make it happen.

I feel pretty good about being the only team from this hemisphere in the group. The history of European sides in South American World Cups is underwhelming. Would rather have Portugal in our group than pretty much any of the South American teams.

We beat Portugal in Asia in '02 and should have beaten Germany (I want to say one of the Germans, perhaps Frings, should have been sent off and wasn't).

We can advance out of this group, but beating Ghana is the key. Frankly, we owe them. Time to make it happen.

Frings with the handball on the line that would have made it 1-1. Should have been sent off and we should have had a penalty awarded.

:RANT:

It took me like five reads of the deaclaw post before I recognized he was talking about east/west hemispheres (as if that's a thing).

Denmark came close to getting out of a Germany/Portugal/Netherlands group in the Euros.

We're better than they are

If the group looks like this after the first two games:

GER 6 USA 4 GHANA/POR (interchangeable) 1/0

I'll feel pretty damn good about our chances of advancing. That said big if to get to that point

That's an ideal scenario for us. Would likely mean staying within 1 of Germany's subs would get us through.

@FakeKlinsi: Hammered, braus. Drunk dialed Bassy Schweinsteiger and called him a “Teutonic Ryan Giggs, except blander.” I don’t even know what that means

Back