• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

James Tyler
Brazil are 99.6% likely to escape their group.

Mike jones
Real talk: Brazil taking it all at home?

James Tyler
Hard to argue. SPI gives them a 96.9% chance of winning it all.

edit: as we thought, he read percentages wrong. that was chance of them winning group, not wc.

Their backups would walk into our starting XI and they would be out looking to prove something to play in the knockout rounds.

We better be positioned well after our first two matches.

Just like they did back in June.

Ouch. Our group will be tough, but it's an exciting challenge & Group G has a lot of recent WC history.

We've had recent struggles with Ghana in the previous two Cups. Germany is grouped with Ghana for the second straight Cup. Germany played Portugal in the 3rd place game in '06. USA played Portugal and Germany in 2002.

Other notes:
This is the second straight Cup that Mexico has drawn the host county.
Also, this is the third time in four Cups that Argentina & Nigeria have been in the same group.

I'm very excited for the Spain-Netherlands rematch. That group is also brutal.

Play Portugal at Manasas. Could that be good that we play them in such heat and humidity? May tire us out for next game though.

Play Portugal at Manasas. Could that be good that we play them in such heat and humidity? May tire us out for next game though.

someone pointed out that Germany struggled in the heat in....1994? as well.

I could have the World Cup completely wrong. But they got ousted in New York and beat South Korea 3-2 in Dallas.

@petersagal 28s Trick to beat Germany is to wait until they get bogged down in a match with Russia, then open a second front.

Is that the peter sagal from "Wait, Wait, don't tell me"?

@Ben_JataAverage FIFA World Rankings

Group A: 24.3
Group B: 21.0
Group C: 20.3
Group D: 14.3
Group E: 22.8
Group F: 26.3
Group G: 11.3
Group H: 28.3

I agree. And as I stated earlier we seem to play up or down to our competition. No way we can overlook/underestimate any of our opponents. That being said we have got to figure out our LB/RB situation. Ronaldo is going to eat us alive if we don't.

Isn't the knock on Ronaldo that he kind of underplays in WC play vs Club Play? Not saying he won't eat us alive, but I think it's a mistake to assume a big name player may dominate us simply on name as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Portugal and Germany are upset at having to match up with us as well. Klinsman has changed the culture and quality of play for us and we're not going to be a push over either.

Eh. The 02 Group was much more difficult than the 98 Group.

98 was Iran (super meh) Yugoslavia (meh) and Germany (good)

02 was South Korea (host nation and eventual semifinals) Portugal (golden generation, Top 5 team at the time) and Poland (meh)

That Yugoslavia team was certainly not "meh". That was a damn fine side. They were tied 1-1 with Holland going into added time and gave up a late, late goal to Davids. This was after beating both us and Iran and drawing Germany in the group stage.

Isn't the knock on Ronaldo that he kind of underplays in WC play vs Club Play? Not saying he won't eat us alive, but I think it's a mistake to assume a big name player may dominate us simply on name as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Portugal and Germany are upset at having to match up with us as well. Klinsman has changed the culture and quality of play for us and we're not going to be a push over either.

I agree Portugal and ze Germans can't be happy about us being in their group as well. And while I don't remember how good Ronaldo has been in past WCs, I am afraid that regardless of those results he'll eat our defense alive. I agree we're no pushover that we've improved over the last few years, especially up front, but our D still worries me against quality scorers, like Ronaldo and ze Germans.

I agree. And as I stated earlier we seem to play up or down to our competition. No way we can overlook/underestimate any of our opponents. That being said we have got to figure out our LB/RB situation. Ronaldo is going to eat us alive if we don't.

Also a Real Madrid elongated Champions League and La Liga run would be great. Get tired Chrissy. Get hurt. Take a few knocks. Maybe turn an ankle.

Ronaldo is a physical freak. He won't get tired. So our only hope is that somebody kicks a chuck off his body late in the club season.

Would love to see Crissy go down. Easily the most despicable soccer player, though I guess Rooney is a somewhat close 2nd.

So who is everyone rooting for after we go down? I'm pulling for Uruguay and Argentina.

hahahahahaha. Suarez. That is all.

Just like they did back in June.

That was a meaningless friendly. GET SERIOUS.

I agree Portugal and ze Germans can't be happy about us being in their group as well. And while I don't remember how good Ronaldo has been in past WCs, I am afraid that regardless of those results he'll eat our defense alive. I agree we're no pushover that we've improved over the last few years, especially up front, but our D still worries me against quality scorers, like Ronaldo and ze Germans.

Nobody in our group should be happy with the draw. Just brutal.

Portugal 2-1 Luxembourg
Portugal 3-0 Azerbaijan
Russia 1-0 Portugal
Northern Ireland 1-1 Portugal
Israel 3-3 Portugal
Portugal 2-0 Azerbaijan
Portugal 1-0 Russia
Portugal 4-2 Northern Ireland
Israel 1-1 Portugal
Portugal 3-0 Luxembourg

Not impressed

Ronaldo, Nani, Moutinho, Veloso, Pepe, Coentrao would all walk into our side.

Portugal undoubtedly has more talent than we do. However, the whole of our team is greater than the sum of our parts.

That was a meaningless friendly. GET SERIOUS.

So ze Germans will play hard in a meaningless match to try and push their way into the starting lineup, but won't play hard in a meaningless match to try and push their way into the starting lineup? :noidea:

Back