• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I would like to see:

------------------------Guzan------------------------
Yedlin--------- Cameron - Brooks ---------Johnson
------------------ Bradley - Jones -------------------
--Bedoya-------------- Nagbe -------------Pulisic---
-------------------------Wood ------------------------

I would like to see:

------------------------Guzan------------------------
Yedlin--------- Cameron - Brooks ---------Johnson
------------------ Bradley - Jones -------------------
--Bedoya-------------- Nagbe -------------Pulisic---
-------------------------Wood ------------------------

I like that, but Dempsey has to be on the field still IMO. I read something last week about our last 17 competitive goals and how Dempsey has 9 of them. That's pretty crazy

I don't want three centerbacks on the field at once. We have enough issues with guys playing out of position. Cameron/Besler/Brooks have no clue how to play as a back three with Yedlin and Johnson pushed slightly in front of them on the wings. No thanks.

Well, I'm not advocating just rolling the ball out there and telling them the new formation. Obviously they would have trained with the formation in mind.

Holy hell...

Well, I'm not advocating just rolling the ball out there and telling them the new formation. Obviously they would have trained with the formation in mind.

Holy hell...

In fairness there's no reason to assume that would be what happens with the current regime, so I see where he's coming from.

still would love to see a 3-2-2-1-2 formation with our roster

Guzan
---------- Cameron - Besler - Brooks --------------
Yedlin ------------------------------------------- Johnson
------------------ Bradley - Jones --------------------
------------------------ Pulisic/Nagbe ---------------
-------------- Dempsey ----------- Wood -----------

That makes absolutely no sense. It puts our best XI on the field.

still would love to see a 3-2-2-1-2 formation with our roster

Guzan
---------- Cameron - Besler - Brooks --------------
Yedlin ------------------------------------------- Johnson
------------------ Bradley - Jones --------------------
------------------------ Pulisic/Nagbe ---------------
-------------- Dempsey ----------- Wood -----------

I want Guzan to play more in the area where the goal is than out on the right like that.

I guess that's why Aston Villa finished DFL. Bold strategy Cotton

I want Guzan to play more in the area where the goal is than out on the right like that.

Might have been helpful to Aston-Villa this past season.

Edit: Doh, didn't see wsc's post on the next page.

Last edited:
What I would like to see (given who was called in and a formation we actually use):

Guzan
Yedlin Cameron Brooks Castillo
Bradley
Bedoya Jones
Dempsey Wood Johnson

I think this gets the highest number of our best players in their best positions. Castillo isn't ideal, but he's an actual left back and doesn't force Fabian into a position he's not as good at. The midfield has plenty of workrate and skill in there, and gives us good options off the bench to either inject offense, hold the ball, or pack it in.

Castillo fucking sucks

I'm okay with what I expect we'll see tomorrow, especially against a squad like Colombia

Wood-Dempsey-Zardes
Jones-Bradley-Bedoya
FJ-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
---------Guzan----------

But JK better be ready to roll out Nagbe and Pulisic in the 60-70th minute. And I'd like to see them start in game two.

He's not great, but he can push forward like Jurgen seems to (sometimes) like his outside backs to do, and more importantly he frees up Fabian to actually be where he belongs and is best on the field. I'm not a fan of taking a top 2 player on your team and moving him into a position that marginalizes his impact on the game. There's going to be a weak link somewhere, might as well be as strong as possible around it.

He's not great, but he can push forward like Jurgen seems to (sometimes) like his outside backs to do, and more importantly he frees up Fabian to actually be where he belongs and is best on the field. I'm not a fan of taking a top 2 player on your team and moving him into a position that marginalizes his impact on the game. There's going to be a weak link somewhere, might as well be as strong as possible around it.

I think the logic is that the Johnson's "value above replacement" if you will is greater at left back than anywhere else on the pitch. Johnson is our best option on the left side of the midfield or on the left wing, but his replacements there are a lot stronger than any other left back we have.

Johnson at left back is the correct call as long as Jurgen plays the right "replacements" further up the pitch.

I think the logic is that the Johnson's "value above replacement" if you will is greater at left back than anywhere else on the pitch. Johnson is our best option on the left side of the midfield or on the left wing, but his replacements there are a lot stronger than any other left back we have.

Johnson at left back is the correct call as long as Jurgen plays the right "replacements" further up the pitch.

Who's the correct replacement? We don't have a natural left winger in the entire pool...

I remember hearing Tim Vickery talk about how good Castillo was with Tijuana in either the Copa Libertadores or the Copa sudamerica and I couldn't believe my ears. That guy is terrible

Do we project to have decent enough CBs anytime in the future to play with wingbacks?

Back