• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Current: Brooks, Cameron, Gonzalez (albeit not on current roster), Birnbaum (drawing interest from Europe), Besler
Future: Cameron Carter-Vickers, Matt Miazga, Eric Palmer-Brown

That's just off the top of my head, that is by far the best our CB pool has looked in over a decade

Uhhh, this is arguably the best/deepest out CB pool has ever been?

It was half tongue-in-cheek in that we have two players who would thrive in WB roles, and finally have the ability to put a decent lineup on the field with 5 at the back but we can't/won't adapt our lineup to our team.

But also serious about future for CBs...as in, if we did try to throw in some 5 back/WB lineups, could it be a formation we could sustain through another cycle.

It was half tongue-in-cheek in that we have two players who would thrive in WB roles, and finally have the ability to put a decent lineup on the field with 5 at the back but we can't/won't adapt our lineup to our team.

But also serious about future for CBs...as in, if we did try to throw in some 5 back/WB lineups, could it be a formation we could sustain through another cycle.

It's a lot easier to transition to a back 4 from a back 5 with wing backs than vice versa.

1. Bradley
2. Johnson
3. Cameron
4. Bedoya
5. Dempsey
6. Jones
7. Wood
8. Brooks
9. Yedlin
10. Pulisic ;)

Just personal opinion based off combined club/country form

1. Bradley
2. Johnson
3. Cameron
4. Bedoya
5. Dempsey
6. Jones
7. Wood
8. Brooks
9. Yedlin
10. Pulisic ;)

Just personal opinion based off combined club/country form

Don't think I could disagree with any of that, except Jones might be ahead of Dempsey at this point. And I say that wearing one of my Dempsey jerseys. Between formations, his play, and the service he's getting lately...just seems like he's just dropped off a bit, whereas Jones seems to have more of an impact when he's on the field.

Was surprised to read that article the other day on Pulisic that he's only actually played less than 5 full games' worth of minutes at the pro/senior level.

Don't think I could disagree with any of that, except Jones might be ahead of Dempsey at this point. And I say that wearing one of my Dempsey jerseys. Between formations, his play, and the service he's getting lately...just seems like he's just dropped off a bit, whereas Jones seems to have more of an impact when he's on the field.

Was surprised to read that article the other day on Pulisic that he's only actually played less than 5 full games' worth of minutes at the pro/senior level.

I actually thought about throwing Wood ahead of Jones and Dempsey, but its that stat that Deuce has 9 of our last 17 competitive goals that gets me (yes, I know some of those are now years in the past)

Point is he scores big goals. Until he stops scoring big goals, he has to be included as the key player up top (this tournament could very well be the changing of the guard up top)

I was a massive Wood hater for the longest time (stood beside Brasky in craven cottage back in 2014 and watched him shit the bed over and over again) but what a damn turnaround that kid has had. I'd be surprised if Wood doesn't start every game in this tournament for us, I think he is now that important for our attack.

Wood has kinda become what we thought Charlie Davies might be for us pre-accident, only better in terms of talent and potential at similar points. Speedy, fearless attacker.

Wood has kinda become what we thought Charlie Davies might be for us pre-accident, only better in terms of talent and potential at similar points. Speedy, fearless attacker.

Exactly what I was going to type but left it out. "Wood and Jozy may end up being everything we thought the CD9/Jozy pairing would be"

Back