• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

So no Jackson Martinez, Adrian Ramos, or Falcao for Copa?

They all suck now, but that does seem to leave them short. Marlos Moreno is the real deal for Colombia, though, he could be fun to see. I guess they're going to ride Bacca -- I'm kind of surprised Duvan Zapata has never been capped. He's not great, but probably a better option than Martinez, Ramos, or Falcao at this point.

whats Colombias starting xi look like?

No idea, but here's their last starting lineup for their warm-up game against Haiti:

Ospina; Murillo, Zapata, Diaz, Arias; Perez, Torres, M. Moreno, Cuadrado; D. Moreno, Bacca

Still some really good players.

Is this going to be the official Copa America Centenario thread? If so, let me throw this out there: anyone else amused by all the love the USMNT is getting after a blowout win over a turrible Bolivia team? I listened to Wynalda's show during my hellish 700+ drive yesterday from Oxford and Memphis to Charlotte, and he talked about how much he "loves" this team and how he thinks we're capable of winning it. As dv7 knows, I'm as big a homer as there is, but just a few months ago everyone wanted Klinsi fired and we worried if we'd make it to the hex. Now we're going to beat Brazil, Argie, etc...? I do think our talent is better, and I do think Klinsmann might, MIGHT be figuring out how to best put the puzzle pieces together, but still...

Is this going to be the official Copa America Centenario thread? If so, let me throw this out there: anyone else amused by all the love the USMNT is getting after a blowout win over a turrible Bolivia team? I listened to Wynalda's show during my hellish 700+ drive yesterday from Oxford and Memphis to Charlotte, and he talked about how much he "loves" this team and how he thinks we're capable of winning it. As dv7 knows, I'm as big a homer as there is, but just a few months ago everyone wanted Klinsi fired and we worried if we'd make it to the hex. Now we're going to beat Brazil, Argie, etc...? I do think our talent is better, and I do think Klinsmann might, MIGHT be figuring out how to best put the puzzle pieces together, but still...

Not surprised at all because this happens every tournament. Everyone thought we figured it all out last year by pasting Guatemala before the Gold Cup. We know how that turned out. Everyone thought we figured it out by beating Turkey and Nigeria in 2014 (certainly better competition to be fair), and we bunkered our way through that tournament. Hell, even back in 98 everyone got hyped about beating Austria down 3-0. We all know how that World Cup ended up.

It's good to be optimistic, but beating up on turds doesn't swing the pendulum much for me. Still think we can beat this Colombia team though, Costa Rica is without Navas, and Paraguay doesn't scare me at all. We should advance, no excuses.

Is James R hurt?

He's in the squad, I think, he just wasn't playing in the friendlies because of the Champions League final.

ETA -- he's listed in Wiki as their captain, so I think he'd start in place of one of the Morenos based on that team against Haiti.

He's in the squad, I think, he just wasn't playing in the friendlies because of the Champions League final.

ETA -- he's listed in Wiki as their captain, so I think he'd start in place of one of the Morenos based on that team against Haiti.

oh duh

my brain is mush right now

What Jurgen will do:

----------------Guzan------------------
Yedlin---Cameron---Brooks---Johnson
Bedoya----Jones---Bradley----Zardes
---------Dempsey---Wood------------

still would love to see a 3-2-2-1-2 formation with our roster

Guzan
---------- Cameron - Besler - Brooks --------------
Yedlin ------------------------------------------- Johnson
------------------ Bradley - Jones --------------------
------------------------ Pulisic/Nagbe ---------------
-------------- Dempsey ----------- Wood -----------

still would love to see a 3-2-2-1-2 formation with our roster

Guzan
---------- Cameron - Besler - Brooks --------------
Yedlin ------------------------------------------- Johnson
------------------ Bradley - Jones --------------------
------------------------ Pulisic/Nagbe ---------------
-------------- Dempsey ----------- Wood -----------

Couldn't agree more

Though maybe center Guzan in front of goal, not sure guarding the corner flag will pull us many results

I don't want three centerbacks on the field at once. We have enough issues with guys playing out of position. Cameron/Besler/Brooks have no clue how to play as a back three with Yedlin and Johnson pushed slightly in front of them on the wings. No thanks.

Back