• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Jeff Carlisle tweeted a report that talks to merge Copa America and the Gold Cup and to play it every four years in the US are nearly complete.

I don't see any way that the South American countries sign off on this. Maybe merging the competitions, but not giving it permanently to the US.

I kinda feel like the Gold Cup should stay, just do it once every four years. It would be kinda weird for CONCACAF to have a CONCACAF-only competition and for CONMEBOL not to, but we have way more members.

Also, would suck for South Am fans. I think we'd benefit from having to play in South America every now and then

Last edited:
I kinda feel like the Gold Cup should stay, just do it once every four years. It would be kinda weird for CONCACAF to have a CONCACAF-only competition and for CONMEBOL not to, but we have way more members.

Also, would suck for South Am fans. I think we'd benefit from having to play in South America every now and then

Shut up. Ma$ dinero por favor.

I would assume the Gold cup would stay on rotation every 4 yeahs and same with the Copa America in SA?

2018- World Cup
2019- Gold Cup in NA, Copa America in SA (winners qualify for CONFED CUP)
2020- ?????
2021- Copa America in US
2022- World Cup

Maybe I'm wrong on this though

Based on what's being reported the Gold Cup would be kaput, as would a South American-only Copa. Only a joint Copa America would remain

Based on what's being reported the Gold Cup would be kaput, as would a South American-only Copa. Only a joint Copa America would remain

If that's the case I don't see how that's a good deal for anyone but the top CONCACAF teams (basically us, Mexico, Costa Rica). You go from a chance of getting real competitive matches every two years in a 12 team tournament to what looks like a shot at one tournament a cycle with only 6 spots open. The money is nice but from a competitive standpoint it seems like most countries lose out.

Possibles. But again it seems like something CONCACAF's huge block of small (mostly Caribbean) nations would object to.

I haven't seen anything on if/whether they'd have to sign off on there just being the Copa, but you'd think they would

Yessir. And we better get three points. I wonder if JK has the stones to sit Dempsey, Jones or shake up the back 4. Which agree with everyone else wasn't that bad.

I wouldn't touch the back like unless you're inserting Castillo to move up FJ

Official US Soccer / 2016 Copa America Thread (Group A: COL 3, CR 1, PAR 1, USA 0)

What about Besler at LB? Didn't he play it for half of the Bolivia match? Just have him stay home and let the 4-3-3 meld into a 3-5-2.

Anybody but Castillo.

I mean he did but Castillo wasn't in that squad. I say less than 5% chance that actually happens in a competitive match

I do not trust Castillo. Campbell would eat him alive.

I would not sit Dempsey, the one guy who actually managed to generate scoring chances against Colombia. I would like to see Jones sit for Nagbe, and Zardes for Pulisic. I remain hopeful at least one of those happens, and that he doesn't not insert Beckerman in the center mid instead of Nagbe.

I do not trust Castillo. Campbell would eat him alive.

I would not sit Dempsey, the one guy who actually managed to generate scoring chances against Colombia. I would like to see Jones sit for Nagbe, and Zardes for Pulisic. I remain hopeful at least one of those happens, and that he doesn't not insert Beckerman in the center mid instead of Nagbe.

--Wood------Dempsey------Pulsic--
-------Nagbe---------Bradley-------
-------------Beckerman-------------
Johnson--Brooks--Cameron--Yedlin

Come at me bro

--Wood------Dempsey------Pulsic--
-------Nagbe---------Bradley-------
-------------Beckerman-------------
Johnson--Brooks--Cameron--Yedlin

Come at me bro

Only change I'd make is Bedoya for Beckerman. Let Bradley sit deeper. Even with his last match he's still better than Beckerman.

Apparently Jeff Carlisle's Spanish translating skills are poor and there's no suggestion the Gold Cup (or even an all-South American Copa) would disappear by making an all-American Copa a full-time thing.

I'd be all for replacing one of the two Gold Cups with a Copa but having two Copas every time seems silly for South America (even though I know we currently do the same damn thing)

Back