• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I say we fold the men's program and give all the money to the womens. They win a lot more anyway.

Maybe some of them actually feel that those thoughts on their ex-coach don't need to be shared with the world???

I don't understand this at all. Why do we have to play American-born players in order to progress as a soccer nation? The progression needs to come first and will hopefully get us to the point where we have lots of talented American-born players. But adopting an American-born only rule right now doesn't do anything to get us to that point.

Also it's just stupid from an international soccer standpoint. Even major soccer powers use foreign-born or naturalized citizens. See: Germany (Klose and Podolski), Spain (Diego Costa), etc. You play the best players who are eligible, and if those guys are born abroad, you do your best to recruit them.

+1

Maybe some of them actually feel that those thoughts on their ex-coach don't need to be shared with the world???

Maybe, but if JK was liked and/or respected by his players, it's reasonable to think that some of them would have publicly said so over the last 24 hours. The only positive comments I've seen have been from Joe Gyau and Josh Gatt, neither of which have played in the qualifiers and have any real basis as members of the team to judge JK's performance in this cycle.

What tintin said. I said that if we aren't playing more American-born players we're not progressing. I'm fine with the current makeup of the team, at face value, as it represents the best players we can put on the field. I think we should continue to do that going forward. When the best players we can put on the field are born and raised and trained on American soil, that's real progress.

And you make the point that 2 of Germany's top 30 players are foreign born. That would be great if it were true of the US.

Oh come on. Those were two examples from one country. It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list.

My point was that a manager at this point in time should be playing the best players. Really at any point in time. And if the best players were born abroad, he should still be playing them.

Oh come on. Those were two examples from one country. It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list.

My point was that a manager at this point in time should be playing the best players. Really at any point in time. And if the best players were born abroad, he should still be playing them.

I don't disagree with that.

A little trivia (of which I don't know the answer but am curious):

1. Has an American ever hoisted a European trophy from a top division?

2. What is the farthest an American has gone in the Champions League?

I don't disagree with that.

A little trivia (of which I don't know the answer but am curious):

1. Has an American ever hoisted a European trophy from a top division?

2. What is the farthest an American has gone in the Champions League?
Kirovski won Champions League with Dortmund.

Last edited:
Dooley won the Bundesliga with Kaiserslautern. Beasley won the Eredivisie at least once at PSV. Reyna and Edu each won the SPL at Rangers (and Reyna back when it was a somewhat legit league). Those are the ones that came to mind immediately.

Onyewu won the Belgian league a couple times, as did Kljestan. Not sure what your definition of top division is, so I'm covering any I can come up with

Back