• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Not sure if this would be considered a major European competition, but John Harkes started for this team in 1991.:

"Despite the previous season's FA Cup winners, Manchester United, being favourites to lift the trophy, Second Division side Sheffield Wednesday won the match 1–0, the winning goal scored by John Sheridan, giving the Owls their first League Cup title in a season when they also won promotion back to the top flight. The match is regarded as one of the most memorable League Cup finals of all time.[2][3]"

I had forgotten this goal...damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_is9XU2yeA

Last edited:
Not sure if this would be considered a major European competition, but John Harkes started for this team in 1991.:

"Despite the previous season's FA Cup winners, Manchester United, being favourites to lift the trophy, Second Division side Sheffield Wednesday won the match 1–0, the winning goal scored by John Sheridan, giving the Owls their first League Cup title in a season when they also won promotion back to the top flight. The match is regarded as one of the most memorable League Cup finals of all time.[2][3]"

Yeah, that goal was a stunner. Harkes was damn good.

The quality and quantity of mullets in that clip is equally stunning.

Some similarities to his son's goal vs Clemson???

Johnathan Spector PLAYED at Manchester United. Top award.

Jonathon-Spector--007.jpg

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2018 Thread (US v Costa Rica WCQ: 11/15/16 )

4-0 to the real United.

I had no idea a guy from Toronto was playing for the US. Canada will suck forever if everyone keeps playing for other countries.

Good stats too. Does he get any hype in the US?

Last edited:
BRUCE has said Bradley is a #6 and we need to find a player to fill a more advanced CM position, whether a typical #10 or not. Said we have some domestic options. Also said Pulisic plays wide for Dortmund and does well out there. So Benny, Kljestan, and Nagbe look set to battle for that spot.

BRUCE has said Bradley is a #6 and we need to find a player to fill a more advanced CM position, whether a typical #10 or not. Said we have some domestic options. Also said Pulisic plays wide for Dortmund and does well out there. So Benny, Kljestan, and Nagbe look set to battle for that spot.

I feel like Nagbe might be the biggest beneficiary of the coaching change from a player standpoint. I simply don't see Benny helping us there.

I feel like Nagbe might be the biggest beneficiary of the coaching change from a player standpoint. I simply don't see Benny helping us there.

I would argue the opposite but I'm not high on Nagbe. Very talented but has never really played up to that talent for long stretches. Benny is getting up there in age but could still produce through the following summer. Kljestan is most likely though I would say. Nguyen is also a distant option.

I would argue the opposite but I'm not high on Nagbe. Very talented but has never really played up to that talent for long stretches. Benny is getting up there in age but could still produce through the following summer. Kljestan is most likely though I would say. Nguyen is also a distant option.

I simply mean from the standpoint of getting a shot. I don't know if he can be the guy or not. But he was seriously in JK's doghouse and not getting out anytime soon.

U17s look good, lots of technical talent on the ball and some nice vision. This team relies a lot less on physical ability than some previous youth teams I remember. Ended up beating Portugal 7-1 and are up 2-1 on Turkey at halftime.

Back