• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

http://www.finleystadium.com/our-facilities/davenport-field/

Artificial surface. Will they sod over it for this?

Edit- apparently not:

"In May 2005, the first artificial turf surface was installed at Finley Stadium, after eight seasons with a natural grass field. In 2015, the surface was replaced with AstroTurf’s state-of-the-art 3D Xtreme product. Along with an UltraBase system underneath the surface, Davenport Field now has one of the best playing surfaces in the country. In 2015, Finley Stadium also partnered with EcoChemical to create a system for paint conversions to happen seamlessly between soccer and football."
There are rumors that this site and surface were chosen to counter USWNT claims about discrimination.

Arena confirms Zusi will play at right back. Apparently Deuce is progressing but they want to take it slowly so he wasn't called into camp.

Kekuta Manneh sighting, I didn't think he had his passport yet.

He doesn't, neither does Frei. Both are apparently on schedule to become eligible later this year, so they're being brought into camp now for evaluation and/or integration.

I think Zusi could be a solid RB against teams who are packing it in. He provides much better service than the other options. Also any move that leads to Timmy Chandler never getting another call up is fine by me.

Kekuta Manneh sighting, I didn't think he had his passport yet.

Found the answer to this: "Manneh, who was born in Gambia and moved to Texas as a teen, isn’t yet a U.S. citizen so he can’t play in the U.S. friendlies against Serbia (Jan. 29) or Jamaica (Feb. 3). He has been cleared, though, to participate in this camp and hopes to be eligible for matches ahead of the next round of World Cup qualifiers."

From: http://theprovince.com/sports/socce...h-excited-for-first-u-s-national-team-call-up

Camp roster announced. Glad to see Nagbe back and Rosenberry included.

GOALKEEPERS: David Binghsam (San Jose Earthquakes), Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders FC), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Taylor Kemp (D.C. United), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Keegan Rosenberry (Philadelphia Union), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (Unattached), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Kekuta Manneh (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Any of these keepers going to be the "guy" long term? Rimando has always been pretty meh from what i've seen, would hope that going forward we have someone else to plug in long term.

Horvath (just transferred to Clubbe Brugge) is my choice to replace Howard. I'm through with Guzan.

I'm with you on Guzan. He's never really shown much IMO as well. US has really been spoiled with our keepers.

FIFA votes unanimously to expand the World Cup field to 48 teams from 2026 on. 16 groups of 3. Proposal for added spots:

C1z1W8aXEAMDDDZ.jpg
Such a joke. Ugh

So could this quell some of the discontent from CONCACAF about the more important sides needing to play games in shitty stadiums in Guadeloupe and Martinique more often ?

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2018 Thread (US v Costa Rica WCQ: 11/15/16 )

6.5 spots to CONCACAF and only 6 to South America. WTF? And Asia with 8.5?

Does this mean that WCQ is essentially over for us?

We'll get in every World Cup but will have fewer matches against the "good" teams in CONCACAF. I think this actually hurts us.

Agreed. We should push for a CONCACAF-CONMEBOL merge so we can play better competition in the WC buildup.

And definitely maintain the Copa America

Back