• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

No problem! Side note: You gotta have a Creature Comforts while you're in town. Tropicalia is one of my favorite IPAs.

Sounds great. I'll take recommendations for breakfast on Saturday and brunch/lunch on Sunday as well if you have any!

Sounds great. I'll take recommendations for breakfast on Saturday and brunch/lunch on Sunday as well if you have any!

don't live in Athens, but if you like biscuits bigger than your head, you need to check out Mama's Boy one of those mornings

Sure thing! Just sent you a PM.

So has anyone gotten a chance to watch Costa Rica lately? Any idea what kind of form they're in right now?

So has anyone gotten a chance to watch Costa Rica lately? Any idea what kind of form they're in right now?

This is the lineup Costa Rica rolled out during the 2-0 win in last months Gold Cup

DFYZBiHVYAEDS5Y.jpg:large

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compared to the XI that beat us 4-0 in Costa Rica

Keylor Navas; 3-José Salvatierra, 19-Kendall Waston, 2-Johnny Acosta, 4-Michael Umaña, 22-Ronald Matarrita; 7-Cristian Bolaños, 14-Randall Azofeifa (17-Yeltsin Tejeda, 70), 5-Celso Borges, 10-Bryan Ruiz (13-Rodney Wallace, 84); 11-Johan Venegas (12-Joel Campbell, 67)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is who Costa Rica will have available this campaign:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Leonel Moreira (Herediano), Patrick Pemberton (Alajuelense), Keylor Navas (Real Madrid/ESP)

DEFENDERS (9): Johnny Acosta (Herediano), Francisco Calvo (Minnesota United FC/USA), Cristian Gamboa (Celtic/SCO), Giancarlo Gonzalez (Bologna/ITA), Kenner Gutierrez (Alajuelense), Bryan Oviedo (Sunderland/ENG), Jose Salvatierra (Alajuelense), Michael Umaña (Pars Jonoubi/IRN), Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Randall Azofeifa (Herediano), Cristian Bolaños (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Celso Borges (Deportivo La Coruña/ESP), David Guzmán (Portland Timbers/USA), Bryan Ruíz (Sporting Lisbon/POR), Yeltsin Tejeda (Lausanne-Sport/SUI), Johan Venegas (Minnesota United FC/USA), Rodney Wallace (New York City FC/USA)

FORWARDS (4): Daniel Colindres (Saprissa), Josê Ortiz (Herediano), David Ramírez (Saprissa), Marco Ureña (San Jose Earthquakes/USA)

HEAD COACH: Óscar Ramírez

They'll add Navas back in goal, which is huge, but no Joel Campbell. Should be a tough matchup for the Yanks but we are expected to win 10/10 times at home. What's odd is the USSF scheduled this match in New York, the city with the largest Tico population in the US, and the crowd has never been kind to the US there. I'm not exactly sure this will be a "home" atmosphere, which for the first time in may cycles, could play a factor in the outcome.

Joel Campbell and Ronald Matarrita are out for Costa Rica. Both are pretty big blows for them and Campbell normally gives us fits.

Remember when DV loved Shinji for six months before he flamed out and went back to Dortmund. Good times.

Remember when DV loved Shinji for six months before he flamed out and went back to Dortmund. Good times.

Still love Shinji. Never thought he was put in the proper place to succeed at MUFC.

Honda has a sweet left foot. But yeah, vad was right on him over me. Throwing my hands up there.

Watching all the qualifiers in a bar / betting shop in Innsbruck on a rainy night.

Switzerland v. Andorra appears to be being played in fucking Noah's flood. The ball is rolling about 1" each time it's kicked.

Memories.

Lukaku v. Kane this Sunday

Who's going to score more goals? I'll take Lukaku, beer bet anyone?

Haha Lukaku is obvi the better striker but his work rate in matches like this was so so pathetic. He would sit in the middle and sulk. We would not have scored the first goal with him on the pitch. For better or worse he's a front runner. Which is why it makes sense that him and Pogba are boys.

Nice grab. That first quote was taken on the opening day of last season. Back when I still believed that Lukaku had the heart to be an consistent top drawer striker, and before I realize just how little he contributed in our hold-play. In the Martinez years we just passed the ball horizontally and never asked him to be a CF.

The Netherlands' fall from grace has been something to behold. Getting a pretty large favor with Sweden losing tho.

And this French attack. Sheesh. Wave upon wave

Back