• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

‏@jonahfreedman
For what it's worth, US had identical 82% passing accuracy as Brazil did last night. Improvement. Need to defender better, finish chances.

I got the impression that the U.S. did a pretty good job of contesting the middle of the park on even terms. It seems in the past that we were more willing to sit back and defend, concede possession, and wait for a chance at a quick counter. I felt like we really had the better overall run in the second half and that we controlled significant portions of the game. Bradley should get the lion's share of the credit for that.

3 across the back = recipe for disaster.

Cameron had issues, but groom him, please.

I still think Mo Edu can play CB if given time there. Shoot me.

I know that was primarily tongue-in-cheek, but I wrote this last night after watching the match...

Thoughts about the game from tonight (just finished it)

- I've been wondering this to myself for a little under a year now, but I am ready to claim it. Michael Bradley is the best central midfielder that the US has ever produced. Only one close is a guy brought up a few days ago, John Harkes. But Harkes didn't have the all-around game that Bradley does. His vision and range of passing is just superb and to add into that his motor and tenacity just makes for an outstanding player. I'd take him at United. I'll put it that way.

- Fabien Johnson is flat out legit. I had been on the fence about him because I didn't want first impressions to spoil my opinion too much, but that kid can flat out play.
- Herc Gomez is a shit ton faster than I thought. Dude had jets. He was a handful for Brazil's CBs all night. That's a Brazil defense that includes the best (or at least one of the best) center backs in the world, Thiago Silva. Respect.
- Gooch just reads the game so poorly. Unfortunate on the penalty for the handball (just about the right decision, IMO) but he made many other mistakes. Highlighted by him losing where he was on the pitch to keep Pato onside for their 4th. CBs need to read the game and what is going on at a much higher level than Gooch is apparently capable of.
- Marcelo is a cunt. Fuck that guy.
- Neymar is a whiny cunt. Fuck that guy. I am not looking forward to him stiff arming defenders and then crying for a call when the defender slaps his arm off their chest when he moves to a European club. That is the very definition of a jackass. But, my God, what a fucking player. But still. Seriously. Fuck that guy.
- When did Donovan's set pieces become so damn good? I blinked and all the sudden Donovan is putting in fantastic delivery after fantastic delivery from dead balls. Corner or free kicks. Doesn't matter. I like.
- Maurice Edu has some of the worst technique I've ever seen from a player at this level. His traps are dreadful. I love the guy, but dear God... fucking awful ball control.
- Rafael is better than that RB that Brazil thru out there today. From a personal standpoint, I was happy to notice that. Danilo? Or something like that? He isn't that good.
- Speaking of not that good... Hulk is one of the most over-hyped players on Earth. I hope Chelsea throw over 40 million at Porto to sign him. Be my fucking guest. Good luck with such a wasteful player.
- Brazil's #10 has all the makings of a great player. How old was that kid? His name is escaping me, but he got a yellow early in the match, but his passing and control of the game was a joy to watch.
- Jermain Jones has serious roid rage issues. But he really has improved since he first came on the scene for us. I'd stick that crazy SOB in the holding role and throw Holden out at CM with Bradley once fit. That would be a dynamite midfield trio, IMO.
- Michael Bradley is really, really good. Seriously. Really good.

Really rate Pato. But he has never reached the level of his potential. I think his personal life is impacting his ability on the pitch.

3 of Guatemala's most experienced players are under investigation for match fixing and will miss the match against us.

Really rate Pato. But he has never reached the level of his potential. I think his personal life is impacting his ability on the pitch.

What's happening in his personal life....honestly unaware?

June 8th vs Antigua and Barbuda
June 12th @ Guatemala

Then nothing until September.

Injuries are a lot worse than boning Berlusconi's daughter after getting divorced for Pato

What's happening in his personal life....honestly unaware?

His relationship with Berlusconi's daughter (whom he has a kid with) is rocky or over or some such nonsense and that has seemed to really impact his play these last few months. That's why there are so many rumors of him leaving Milan this summer.

I was going to post this story as well--it is an interesting read. I think that Klinsmann's style fits the way we approach sports as Americans--aggressive, attacking, and audacious. I particularly liked the line at the end of the article:

At the same time, it's hard to ignore the totally delightful possibility that we could play like a great team simply by deciding we are one. Isn't that the American dream?

We'll see if the tactics change at all when the result matters more (starting next week). I don't think they will, and really kind of hope they don't. I know we can grind out results and quality from CONCACAF, but to get where we want to ultimately go, we'll have to do more than that.

Venezuela looks serious about qualifying for Brazil. Just claimed a 1-1 draw @ Uruguay

Back