• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

So we need a draw at home against Guatemala? And that's all they need, too?

For us to advance, this is what we need to do:

A) Win
B) Draw
C) Lose, and Jamaica not make up more than the 3 goal differential. So we can lose by 1 and Jamaica win by 2 and still advance, or we can lose by 2 and Jamaica win by 1 and still advance. If Jamaica wins by 3 or more, then we can not lose.

Guatemala has the exact same scenarios that we have.

Da fuq?

@BrentJavan: Edgar Castillo came on tonight as a sub and played 13 mins for Club Tijuana in 2-2 tie w/Santos. Huh? #USMNT Greg Garza scored for the Xolos

Da fuq?

@BrentJavan: Edgar Castillo came on tonight as a sub and played 13 mins for Club Tijuana in 2-2 tie w/Santos. Huh? #USMNT Greg Garza scored for the Xolos

Someone followed this up by saying it was erroneous and Castillo didn't play after all. So I have no idea.

@ussoccer: #USMNT defender Fabian Johnson is still recovering from illness and will not report to Kansas City. No immediate replacement.

Yep pretty much. Who knocks us out?

A) Carlos Ruiz
B) Marco Pappa
C) Anyone else

If it happens, it would obviously be Ruiz.

However, needing only a draw, they will likely park the bus as mentioned. We could just pass it back and forth all game for all I care. "Winning" this stage of qualification means about as much as winning a flip cup game against people you've never met before.

Pappa is out injured, I believe I read that yesterday. So that helps.

And there's this, which is a little reassuring.

@GrantWahl: USA will advance to final round of World Cup qualifying with tie vs Guatemala in KC Tues. US has gone 21 home WC qualifiers without a loss.

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann says Fabian Johnson has bad stomach flu, went to hospital in Germany last week. May have salmonella issue.

Russia is still scoreless against Azerbaijan in Moscow in the 79th minute ... playing like ass. To be fair, the ref denied the stonewallingest of stonewall penalties ... should be 1-0.

Roman Shirokov finally puts Russia up 1-0

If Russia holds on here in stoppage time, it will be 12 points from 4 qualifying matches ... 8 goals for, 0 against. That's fucking solid.

I want to say the US finally clicks tonight and wins 4-1

In do so, I just doomed us to a 1-1 draw

I want to say the US finally clicks tonight and wins 4-1

In do so, I just doomed us to a 1-1 draw

I have a bunch of friends who will be at the game (one of them is senior staff at Sporting KC, so he's been going ballistic ever since the game was announced). Livestrong Park is going to be fucking nuts - it's a strong soccer region, and KC fans have been dying for anything good to cheer about. I expect it to be an awesome atmosphere.

Scary to think that after tonight there is a chance we won't be taking part in the next WC. Please God, don't let that happen.

I have a bunch of friends who will be at the game (one of them is senior staff at Sporting KC, so he's been going ballistic ever since the game was announced). Livestrong Park is going to be fucking nuts - it's a strong soccer region, and KC fans have been dying for anything good to cheer about. I expect it to be an awesome atmosphere.

Yeah it should rival the Columbus crowd, if not surpass it.

Back