• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
I have source (sorry...no PM's) that tells me has been contacted by WFU and there is mutual interest.

Local guy, ACC experience, big time experience and a track record of success. Not the worst choice. That being said would be a let down from all the Shaka, Marshall and Howland talk.

Last edited:
spring-mustard-and-barns-rick-decroes.jpg

Seems a little too old and past his prime for my liking.

right but will we make it worth it for him to really think about it

Only 3 years older than Howland. His record is very impressive everywhere he has been
In 27 years as a head coach, he has had only 3 years comparable to our last 4 and has never had 2 bad years in a row.

Not my first choice obviously but would be ok with it. I don't see much difference bw Barnes and Howland.

Last edited:
Rick's situation depends on how he and AD Patterson get along. He had a great relationship with Dodds. He likes living in Austin and did not consider the NC State position when it was available the last two times. He can definitely recruit and he would not take any crap from the coaching royalty. If he were still on the hotseat, it would be a possibility. The only other possibility would be if his wife needed to be close to her family. He would be very popular with students and fans. He is fun to be around. In the past he has gotten his coaching advise from Bob Knight, even when Knight was still coaching at Texas Tech.

Here is a story about Rick that some may find interesting: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120219/PC20/302199970

Personally, I like Barnes. He got up in Dean's grill. That was enjoyable! Make the Smart choice!

Back